B 2601 front tire chains

RichBob

Equipment
B2601
Jan 28, 2022
newport wa
I have a new 2601 with the new style tires. With my old JD 4100 I was advised to NEVER chain up the front industrial tires and it would wreck the front hubs. He was right as I paid three times for front hub repair. Anyone know of any issues with installing chains on the front tires of my 2601 to improve the steering in snow and ice?

WoodKutter

Equipment
L4600 John Deere 750, John Deere 420
Apr 15, 2022
Vermont and Northern Maine
I'm not sure what Kubota recommends for yor particular tractor, but most smaller machines do not recommend front chains. Having said that I've always run them. My general practice is to run in 2 wheel drive, using the front chains for steering and carefully engaging only when needed. You'll have to make and live with your own decision. Good luck and be careful.

RichBob

Equipment
B2601
Jan 28, 2022
newport wa
I'm not sure what Kubota recommends for yor particular tractor, but most smaller machines do not recommend front chains. Having said that I've always run them. My general practice is to run in 2 wheel drive, using the front chains for steering and carefully engaging only when needed. You'll have to make and live with your own decision. Good luck and be carefuL
I'm not sure what Kubota recommends for yor particular tractor, but most smaller machines do not recommend front chains. Having said that I've always run them. My general practice is to run in 2 wheel drive, using the front chains for steering and carefully engaging only when needed. You'll have to make and live with your own decision. Good luck and be careful.
Same thing my dealer told me. Going to chain up rear and see how it goes this winter. Thanks for the reply!

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
My neighbor used chains on the front of his L for snow, and he has R1s. He uses bucket and a small rear blade. It seemed to work well for him, so I bought front chains. I have R4s. That was ok, but not nearly as good as chains on front and rear. Fwiw, he's got an older L. I think if you don't drive crazy and take them off when you don't need them, you will be fine. YMMV.

If you are talking about doing lots and lots of snow work, it might be a different story. I think it's like 4x4 on any vehicle. Too much traction under high power, is hard on the front end components.

I haven't tried putting chains on only the rear. I live on pretty steep terrain, so it's worth it to me to have steering on all four if it's really bad or I"m moving a lot of snow. My neighbor, and I've only used ladder style chains.

That being said, I usually plow with my Polaris Ranger. I can push snow a lot faster although it is pretty much impossible to move big piles. Our roads are gravel, so I can't scrape too hard.