"Autobody" repair and maintenance?

chrisvconley

Equipment
L47
Nov 28, 2022
Morris, IL
This may sound like the lamest question, but do any of you work on your tractor's looks with autobody-like repairs and touch-ups?

Repair dents, wash and wax, grind and paint areas, buff it to look like new?

Don't get me wrong, mine is a hard-working tractor, not a show one, but I like taking care of my equipment and don't work on my cars/trucks like that anymore.

Let me know! 😄

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Does your question include the use of rattle-can paint…? :p

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I try to wash and wax mine once a year.

The wash is so I can get a good look and see if I have any issues anywhere that could of been hidden by dirt.

The wax is to try to keep it looking decent and I do touch up the scratches with the spray can.

PS-my SUV usually gets washed twice a month and detailed once a year. So, my vehicle cleaning and tractor cleaning are not on the same level.

Reactions: 1 users

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
Just the opposite for me. I clean and lubricate the places that need grease or oil, but that's about it. The rain does a good job of washing off the dirt. If I had any places where the paint is missing such that the sheet metal would rust I would prime and paint that.

Reactions: 1 user

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I wash my little guy once a year. Here lives in a three sided shelter and eventually, the dust, pollen and birds have him looking dingy. Sometimes, I'll even wax the hood!
Same with my PU, though the PU resides in a real garage.
Wife's car, a few washings a year, but we go out in it a few times a week, my PU and little guy can go weeks between usage.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
I keep mine touched up with hardened oem paint. I just don't like rust coupled with powder coat. But, to answer your question, if my hood got smashed in then yes. I would repair it the same way I would a car. The tractor cost a pretty penny so I keep it nice. I used to work for a body shop. Im always restoring/repairing tractors I find. The paint is mixed and just going to harden. So I waste as little as possible. Suitcase weights and buckets always seem to get the leftovers. Do I wax it? No, but I may buff a spot or two with my pistol hand polisher the one time a year she gets washed. She does get the grease gun every time it gets used.

Last edited:

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Yes. I take pride in my tractor as well as other vehicles I own. I enjoy washing and waxing with a beer and good music. Sometimes things like a loose bolt or missing cotter pin will reveal themselves when doing such tasks, lol. I had leftover ceramic coating so the hood on my lil Kubbie got done!

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Thanks, @kubotafreak!

What is hardened OEM paint and where can one get it?

I imagined there was a body shop pro who liked to restore/repair tractors!
Get the paint from the dealer or order from messicks. I buy qt or gallon of both orange 2 and dk gray. This is the off the shelf hardner I use if you got a sherwin williams auto near you.
A6B35191-0000-458E-8193-82E9E72DBBAB.png
Be sure you understand isocyanates. Because of this I try at all possible to foam brush parts. (It levels great) Only mix what you need in a cup no reducer unless spraying, and very small reducing, it doesn't like to be cut. Paint match will be respectable. Just need a little of the hardner. It adds a lot of gloss. Id do half of what it says to add. I buy the tiny bottles too, it hardens in can too fast. Don't tear the foil seal… One last thing kubota primes in off white. So if you want match 100% though I never have and its fine, and I'm picky.
The wheel weight had most of the paint chipped off. The cutting edge was shipped raw cast. I just wire brushed both and solvent cleaned. The oem has good direct to metal properties.

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I washed my tractor last spring after giving it a mud facial then I pressure washed the mud and all my decals off. I think that's called detailing because I even pressure washed inside the cab.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I use Turtle Wax Seal-N-Shine on mine once a year. I tried their Ceramic stuff on the boat, but found that it was more difficult to apply and got basically the same results.

I also pressure wash it pretty regularly ( or take it to the Quarter Car wash during the winter).

I went to an automotive paint supply store and had them mix up some touch up paint. The guy did an amazing job and it is absolutely identical to the factory color.

I also use a polishing compound when a stick rubs the side of it and leaves marks that can be rubbed out.

Paul

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
🤣 I like to use a spray gun!
If it is just a scratch I use a touch-up brush with real enamel.
If it is a large area, I DO use a spray gun. :)
I detest rattle can paint!
It often creates an ugly overspray mess (usually little or no taping), and it is not a durable coating.
Yup...a spray can is handy,....and the spray gun does take much more time, but a properly done spray gun paint repair will provide a good looking durable lasting repair.
Would you use spray cans on the hood of your car?

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Would you use spray cans on the hood of your car?
I can answer that question, but then you would realize how big of a redneck I really am.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Would you use spray cans on the hood of your car?
yes, no problem..you can buy both single stage and 2 stage , made in the autopaint stores.
heck, I used an 8" roller and TREMCLAD gloss white on my '67 Mustang HT one year. Arguably it held up better than 'powder coat' has.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
re: Would you use spray cans on the hood of your car?
yes, no problem..you can buy both single stage and 2 stage , made in the autopaint stores.
heck, I used an 8" roller and TREMCLAD gloss white on my '67 Mustang HT one year. Arguably it held up better than 'powder coat' has.
Ah....but you are in Canada.
You need to buy quick drying spray cans, so the paint will dry before it freezes.:ROFLMAO:

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
A well maintained, nice looking machine, is always worth more when it comes time to sell/trade.