ATV Spreader recommendation please

TRF

Equipment
ATV 500
Sep 13, 2020
Issaquah, WA
I'm looking for a hitch mounted spreader attachment to load with salt for the back of my RTV 500. The task is I've got over 1/3 mile and 300 foot vertical rise paved blacktop driveway -- we're at over 1,100 feet on a mountain. I've had the machine and the V4308 snowplow for over ten years and it is an amazing winter asset. I especially handles tough ice well when outfitted with the half hitch chains. However, this winter we have a construction project underway so others with 2WD will also need to get up the drive -- thus the need for the salt spreader. I won't be using it for seed or anything else.

Attachments

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I would buy a cheap throw away spreader. As you know the salt will eat it up. I would make or have made a long tongue so the spreader is way behind the the ATV. You would also have to extend the controls up to the ATV. This long tongue will help you in two ways. It will make the spreader much easier to back up. Also there will be less salt thrown onto the ATV to cause rust. I also have a piece of flat roofing material that looks like a 10 foot wide inner tube. I would mount it as a guard across the front of the spreader to prevent the salt from being thrown forward. Even a shower curtain on a piece of PVC pipe would help keep the ATV clean of the salt.

A mounted spreader might work better but again the salt on you ATV would be a bigger problem.

Might want to consider sand instead of the salt. You must keep the sand clean and dry to spread well.

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I second Big G. I had one (Agri Fab) pull behind 150 pound capacity spreader and sold it last spring after 10 years and it was still good to go. Poly hopper so no rust and the gearbox is axle driven but sealed in grease (on the high end ones).

Bought a 500 pound capacity 3 point pendular spreader for the tractor, poly hopper again, for fertilizer which is almost as bad as salt for corrosion

TRF

Equipment
ATV 500
Sep 13, 2020
Issaquah, WA
Thank you folks for the suggestions and input. I did rig and try one of the very cheap "Scott's" yard spreaders behind the rig last year. It worked to an extent but with the slick conditions, I found that the wheels simply didn't get enough traction to broadcast reliably -- much lighter than the rig you are suggesting. I was looking at the commercial hitch mounted solutions because when this driveway is slick -- it's really slick. Several times the RTV has spun around 360 degrees -- yes, even with the half link chains and very slow with the diff's locked. I've got 30-90 foot vertical drops beside the road, so anything that might detract from gaining control during even the occasional slide is unwelcome. I can rig a screen for the salt. BUT none of the commercial rigs < $400 seem to get very good reviews due to simple stuff (like missing an agitator for the salt, doesn't stop spreading when stopped, etc). The Moultrie with automatic open/shut and adjustable gauge seemed like the best on paper... Again, thank you. Pre-mixing the sand/salt and keeping it dry is a practical and strong recommendation. I'll do that too. Last year I finally resorted to a bucket sitting on the floor of the rig, with a hand spreader (gutter cleaning long tool). It worked, but with the freezing temps, couldn't keep the salt off the rig. Arrrrgh.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I have the following spreader that I have used for about 3 years now. I got it at Lowes. I pull it behind my Honda rancher ATV and it works fine. I've mostly used it for fertilizing pasture grass. It has always emptied and spread well. Ive had no issues with it aside from the tires did go flat once after it had sat for a while. Aired them back up and they have held so not sure what happened. I did make the mistake of not hosing it down good after spreading some ammonium nitrate, and it rusted it up quickly in a few areas. Using salt I would also make sure to to spray it down good when done. I would probably go with the agri fab that others have shared here over my john deere- its cheaper and looks like the identical thing nearly

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Ideally find a spreader that monitors forward ground speed and adjusts rate of material feed to it. Otherwise it'll dump the material at the same rate when going fast, slow or reverse.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I cannot speak to throwing salt (here in Alabama) but I have tried all of them for throwing corn--I throw about 600-700lbs a year for wildlife. By all I mean pull behind (4-5 of those), hitch mount and make one from a 5 gallon bucket and a feeder motor. What I can tell you is the pull behind (for me anyway) are junk. On the agri-fab, and most others the "gears" are plastic and in a month, if your lucky, they will be stripped.

What I now use, and it has worked for over 4 years, is this.. Buy a deer feeder, or a bucket of your size need and a feeder motor, and hot wire to the motor with a switch. Buy a cheap ATV hitch rack to mount the feeder, or make one from a hitch. The ATV rack also allows you to mount a board or whatever else to keep material from flying forward. When you want to throw material just hit the switch.

Maybe more work than you want to do but speaking for myself I would stay away from the pull behind as I have never had one last more then a month--plus I think you're dead on with the wheels not spinning on ice.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
This will cost some $$ but it will eliminate any traction problems, minimize the salt into the yard, minimize the salt on the ATV, electric drive so there is instant on and off. Go down one side of the drive and back up the other.

Timmer92

Equipment
2019 L3901 (former - BX2370), 72" Brush Hog, 72" Hydraulic Snow Blade, 3pt Auger
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota
I can only speak to spreaders that attach to a 3 pt hitch. However I just wanted to chime in that "The task is I've got over 1/3 mile and 300 foot vertical rise paved blacktop driveway -- we're at over 1,100 feet on a mountain" sounds like a slice of heaven!

TRF

Equipment
ATV 500
Sep 13, 2020
Issaquah, WA
I
I can only speak to spreaders that attach to a 3 pt hitch. However I just wanted to chime in that "The task is I've got over 1/3 mile and 300 foot vertical rise paved blacktop driveway -- we're at over 1,100 feet on a mountain" sounds like a slice of heaven!
Yep, we love our place up here... regular deer, bobcat, coyote and bear spottings....

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

TRF

Equipment
ATV 500
Sep 13, 2020
Issaquah, WA
I would buy a cheap throw away spreader. As you know the salt will eat it up. I would make or have made a long tongue so the spreader is way behind the the ATV. You would also have to extend the controls up to the ATV. This long tongue will help you in two ways. It will make the spreader much easier to back up. Also there will be less salt thrown onto the ATV to cause rust. I also have a piece of flat roofing material that looks like a 10 foot wide inner tube. I would mount it as a guard across the front of the spreader to prevent the salt from being thrown forward. Even a shower curtain on a piece of PVC pipe would help keep the ATV clean of the salt.

A mounted spreader might work better but again the salt on you ATV would be a bigger problem.

Might want to consider sand instead of the salt. You must keep the sand clean and dry to spread well.

Thanks BigG... after all is said an done, I think your advice is spot on in terms of practical and affordable.

I DID find ONE hitch mounted spreader that looks like it would do the job : The Curtis Cab Fast-Cast 300. It's available through their Trillian Tractor Supply for an Intertnet Price of $885.71 -- which is a simply too much money for what I need to do. IF I were plowing sidewalks in Alaska every day or similar -- this would do the trick.

I'm going with one of the Agri Fab pull behinds and will just make sure I wash it down (as much as possible) during the winter after each use.

Attachments

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA

I bought this spreader from Amazon. It is very good for my uses. I don't spread salt so you may want to look for a heavier one. There are several on this Amazon page that you may be interested in. BTW, the one that I bought is a hitch mount. It can be used with either a 2" receiver or a 1 1/4" inch receiver. You just decide which receiver size that you want as you are assembling it.