Api oil classification not brand

bshugarts

Equipment
M5640 SUD
Oct 8, 2011
north tonawanda ny usa
my manual says not to use CJ-4 oil, but i cannot find any 15-40 that is not so classified there is a CI-4 Plus but this is not mentioned in the manual. I DO NOT WANT TO START A SYNTHETIC VS. DINO OR BRAND DISCUSSION.......

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
my manual says not to use CJ-4 oil, but i cannot find any 15-40 that is not so classified there is a CI-4 Plus but this is not mentioned in the manual. I DO NOT WANT TO START A SYNTHETIC VS. DINO OR BRAND DISCUSSION.......
Kubota have a bulletin about this miss-understanding Here is the pertinent paragraph:
The statement in the operator's manual only applies to oil that would be limited to one API classification. In summary, if the engine you are working with recommends a certain oil API classification, make sure it is on the oil container label and do not be concerned with the other API classifications.
The bulletin is AG015-11 in Canada
Ed

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Is it me or is that clear as mud?
Do not use an oil that only has a classification of CJ-4. If the oil you want to use has the recommended classification for your tractor it is OK to use even if it includes the CJ-4 classification. No Kubota's currently built require CJ-4 because they do not have diesel particulate filters (DPF) on them. Is that better?
Ed