Anyone try laser edge mower blades?

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
I tried to make mower blades that last longer by welding the underside of the blade with various hard face rods. Homogeneous high alloy filler "impact resistant" rod seemed to help some on mower blades.
The chromium carbide crystal hard face fillers "abrasion resistant" rod tend to crack, on a mower blade the crack propagates and breaks the blade. It works great on 5/8 inch thick brush shredder blades, the cracks tend not to form as the thick blades don't really flex and the cracks can't propagate through the thick base metal, thus far, 3 years later.
Well laser edge (fisher barton) perfected what I was trying to build.
They took the chromium carbide crystals and brazed a thin layer on to the under side of the blade. Works best in sandy soil, rocks are hell on them though.
They are pretty easy to find for a kubota, others like my 21 inch 5/8 star blades for my non-kubota application you really have to want them.
I like them because I can mow for hours in very sandy soil and the blades are still kind of sharp. Sharp enough to where if I have to remove a string, baling wire or just retighten them down I really don't want the wrench to slip and bang my hand the exposed carbide crystals. What I used to do was sharpen the blades every time I picked up a length of string, baling wire, barbed wire or after an hour to an hour and a half of mowing, freshly sharp blade would go great for about 30 minutes till they started to get dull again. Yea I have incredibly abrasive dirt.

If you have clay soil or for whatever reasoson your mower eats a lot of rocks then the cheap blades are probably the way to go.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Hard facing and lasers wont fix the fact that my blades get sand blasted paper thin after 1 season. I've found it's simply cheaper and easier to buy a new set of blades every spring.

The Gator mulching blades lasted longest for me but left more grass clumps and windrows. They also didn't have enough lift to deal with dandelion and plantain stalks.

The best solution is to have less lawn to cut.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
gee, there's stilll SOME life left in them blades .........
have to ask, how many acres ,times do you cut ?

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
gee, there's stilll SOME life left in them blades .........
have to ask, how many acres ,times do you cut ?
I can't aay for sure I do our rental house and my field. The field is 20 acres so it's never ending.
I just installed a fresh blade this week. So we will see.
I had been wearing out at least 2 sets of blades per season. But with these I mowed a lot more, a lot faster not having to slow down to a crawl with dull blades and not stopping to swap out sharp blades.

Last edited: