Anyone planting garlic?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Looks great John!
Toss some of those scapes in your smoker with meat of choice....
I would break them off and roast in my closed grill with a half turkey or split turkey breast.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Looks great John!
Toss some of those scapes in your smoker with meat of choice....
I would break them off and roast in my closed grill with a half turkey or split turkey breast.
Actually did just that today....
threw them on top of some chix thighs.....

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Where you are you should probably plant a hard neck like the German red or any of the hard neck types there are several. The ones from the store are most likely from Ca or Mexico and are a soft neck, a larger bulb but a bit more pron to diseases like garlic rust.
Hardneck garlics are known for their extreme hardiness. In warm climates the heads of hardneck garlic may be smaller than they would be in climates with bone-chilling winters, but you’ll still get a good harvest, and interesting garlic flavors. To improve your yield, cut off the tall flower (scape) after they begin to curl around on themselves. The flowers are delicious in salads or salad dressing, and they can even be pickled. When you cut off the (scape), the plant puts its energy into producing garlic cloves instead of flowers. Garlic are heavy feeders so a good dressing of 5.10.10 is going to help a lot, and dont forget to mulch them in the winter when the temps get freekin cold. I hope this helps I was digging through the books from the old green houses and thought this might help. You can get garlic on line from Burpees and any of the larger garden suppliers

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Yep, skeets these are all hardneck... 3 different varietys... I'll be damned if I can r'member which ones.... german red and white I think....

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
John - - those look friggin' great!

After drying down some, find a cool dry spot and the German reds/whites should store well over the winter in an onion bag or similar.

Don't dry too much or not enough...Kinda like doing onions.....I'm sure that's helpful....

Just a spot 40-60 degrees and dry. I found by May or so they would get a little wonky, but it got me through the year.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Anyone ever use the little bulbs/seeds from the scapes? (when they turn to seed)

I intentionally left a few scapes and they produced these wonderful little mini garlics.... maybe a bit milder...
IMG_8428(2).jpg

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Absolutely cook with them. Maybe with pickles or pickled?
Nice!