Anyone know Solar? Help me think this through

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
I have a 40 X 60 Pole Barn without electricity. I use it to store trailers, seldom used equipment, etc.

Running power and setting up a panel would be costly. I don't even have electrical on the property so it would require starting from scratch.

I'm thinking I'd like to store a boat with a starting battery and two deep cycle trolling batteries. They will need to be charged / maintained. I'd also like to have some LED lights and perhaps the ability to run some small electrical tools / appliances.

So if I build out the basic solar system with: panels - charge controller - battery - inverter, it seems like it would be silly to plug a 110V on board charger into to an inverter to maintain my boat batteries. Why not skip the inverter to 110 and then the on board charger back to 12 Volt?

Could I somehow use the Charge Controller to charge / maintain the boat batteries and the solar system battery together and then when using the barn lights or other barn appliance use, isolate off ( Unplug ) the boat and just use the solar system battery?

I hope that makes sense. Am I thinking of this correctly?

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
You can get a battery charger that runs on 12VDC for the boat battery.
Leave the charge controller to look after the storage batteries only.
Use the storage batteries to run the boat battery charger.

When you need 120VAC to run other appliances you can switch it on as well, without disconnecting the boat charger.

Reactions: 1 user

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
You can get a battery charger that runs on 12VDC for the boat battery.
Leave the charge controller to look after the storage batteries only.
Use the storage batteries to run the boat battery charger.

When you need 120VAC to run other appliances you can switch it on as well, without disconnecting the boat charger.
So... I'd hook the boat batteries to the storage batteries by using a 12VDC charger / maintainer. Have an inverter also hooked to the storage batteries and use it as needed?

Juicemanr4

Equipment
Kubota B2601, FEL, LP rotory cuttee
Mar 25, 2019
Broadalbin
I'd pull the batteries out of the boat and take them home. Then run the lights and small tools off a gas generator and save yourself thousands.

Reactions: 1 users

Sparky Prep

Dec 24, 2022
South Florida
To accomplish all that you want, the money invested in a solar set-up will be much higher than just running house power to your barn.

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
/* So... I'd hook the boat batteries to the storage batteries by using a 12VDC charger / maintainer. Have an inverter also hooked to the storage batteries and use it as needed? */

That's right.

We just finished a solar project at our field for charging RC airplane batteries. Also has a sound system, and now the guys want a beer fridge. :rolleyes:

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
I'd pull the batteries out of the boat and take them home. Then run the lights and small tools off a gas generator and save yourself thousands.
My thoughts also. Then you have the generator for emergency use at home and other things.

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
My thoughts also. Then you have the generator for emergency use at home and other things.
Good points, however, the idea of man handling deep cell batteries in and out of a boat on a regular basis is not very appealing to someone my age.

I was looking at two 100 watt panels, a 30a mttp charge controller, a sealed Lead Acid battery and an inverter for around $800. I haven't done all the math but I think this would do what I want it too.

I guess I could buy a generator for more power and inexpensive solar trickle / maintainers for the batteries. Perhaps I'm overthinking it?

FYI... It would be many thousands to trench a power line up from the road and install the building equipment to code. looking for easy.

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
Why not use 12V low-wattage LED lighting and skip the inverter altogether. All your thoughts on 12V battery maintainer / solar charge controller / batteries seem logical IMO. FWIW take a look at phosphate ion batteries while your at it, much longer lasting than AGM (albeit more $$$).

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
For the battery storage you can get solar panels to keep them charged.

Then as previously stated you can use 12 or 24 volt led lights. Spot or flood for work areas and generally use work lights or strip lights for general lighting purposes.

Then if you want to use anything that is 120v you need to install an inverter hooked to the storage battery. You can also install an inverter into your vehicle and run the inverter through the alternator if the vehicle is near the barn.

You probably don’t need to get involved in the systems that feed into the grid unless you’re wanting to offset electricity costs. You could look into leasing your roof to a power company or a company that installs solar panels for the masses if you’re interested and suck power off the grid when it is needed.

From what you say you want to look at off grid solutions

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I have a 40 X 60 Pole Barn without electricity. I use it to store trailers, seldom used equipment, etc.

Running power and setting up a panel would be costly. I don't even have electrical on the property so it would require starting from scratch.

I'm thinking I'd like to store a boat with a starting battery and two deep cycle trolling batteries. They will need to be charged / maintained. I'd also like to have some LED lights and perhaps the ability to run some small electrical tools / appliances.

So if I build out the basic solar system with: panels - charge controller - battery - inverter, it seems like it would be silly to plug a 110V on board charger into to an inverter to maintain my boat batteries. Why not skip the inverter to 110 and then the on board charger back to 12 Volt?

Could I somehow use the Charge Controller to charge / maintain the boat batteries and the solar system battery together and then when using the barn lights or other barn appliance use, isolate off ( Unplug ) the boat and just use the solar system battery?

I hope that makes sense. Am I thinking of this correctly?
I had a similar situation once. My solution may or may not work for you. It was too costly to run power from house to barn, so I installed a new service box on the barn and asked the power company to hook up a new meter. I had two bills each month, but minimal installation costs.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
It's not that hard. Solar panel to a controller to 12V batteries. Go thru an inverter if you want 110AC. Don't, if you don't.

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
I have a solar setup in my 24’ x 24’ barn. The system consists of: 2- 100W mono crystalline panels, 30W MPPT charge controller, group 27 deep cycle marine battery, 4,000W peak/ 2,000W running pure sine wave inverter, Square D QO series box and breakers (QO breakers are actually rated for DC voltage) wired 12V from the battery, 14-3 romex wire, porcelain bulb bases, and 12V LED standard base bulbs. The way I have it wired, if I ever run power from the house, all I would need to do is change out the bulbs and add some outlets.

Attachments

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Every time you switch/ invert power, you lose a ton of efficiency. Your best bet is to do what RVs do....keep it at 12v where possible. Fridge, TV, etc...12v. If and when you need 120 for a hair dryer use an inverter.

cuboodle

Equipment
B2601
May 9, 2023
PA
Go to youtube and search Will Prowse solar. You can easily do what you want to do with his videos. I made one thats portable runs my pellet stove and camper when im up in the Allegheny national forest. The absoute cheapest way to do this for you is to get a all in one battery box that has built in MPPT charge controller pure sine inverter 1k Watts, a ton of outputs for lights etc. add a 100AH Life po battery and some panels (harbor freight) I did this a few weeks ago to have a back up to my back up

NOTE: Make sure your battery has cold/hot temp sensors if you plan on leaving it over the winter

AC Battery Box
$198.00 $168.00

• WORLDWIDE SHIPPING!!!
  • Los Angeles ,New Jersey,Georgia,Illinois,Canada, Germany,United Kingdom,Romania,Greece,Ukraine,and Japan in stock!!!
  • Allow USA warehouse self-pickup!!Just pay for $18 handling fee!!
  • Strong ABS+PC with flame-retardant rating UL94 V-0
  • Pure Sine Wave Inverter
  • Easily see battery status with large digital display
  • Multiple port types allow you to connect a range of devices
  • Easily connect a DC/DC charger or solar panel to charge the battery, or use the inbuilt VSR to charge directly from crank battery
  • Can be used to jump start vehicles (175A Anderson jumper cable set is an optional extra)
  • All ports are recessed into the body to reduce likelihood of damage

Attachments

Last edited:

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I did this exact thing last a hunting camp. I used one 12v battery, with a solar charger to run (12v) lights. Wired it up like a house with a couple switches. Those 12v LEDs will give you more light than you need and use very little power. You can charge the batteries in the same way, solar panel.

You could probably used the charging/charged batteries for the power supply to the lights as well and save on a battery.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Also, for the barn batteries, consider using a pair (or two pair) if 6v batteries. You'll get a lot more reserve capacity that way.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I searched a bit and found this company that sells packaged solar systems of various types