Anyone else having trouble plowing freezing rain and ice pellets

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
So we got about 24 hours of freezing rain and ice pellets and ended up with about 5 inches of build up of weird ice snow pellet mix. I tried the loader and if I can get a bucket load it digs for a short time and takes the gravel with it or it floats above the ice mix. The back blade either floats on top or it takes a good layer of gravel with it. the tractor is almost sideways most of the time with the back blade down and part of the time with just driving with nothing but the tire and chains touching the ground. I have brand new trygg studded ice chains and the tractor has 13 hours on it. For the first time I am unsure about how to plow the driveway. I do not want to take any more of gravel off so at this point I am going to wait the sun and colder temps tomorrow may change the way the snow moves. If not tuesday will be above freezing.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Same stuff here. I don't even try.

Just drive over it, and use the rear scrape blade when it compacts.

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Thats what I should have done. I made more of a mess than if I just left it. I think it was solid enough to support my van the tractor did not sink in it hardly at all.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Toothbar

We didn't get much ice from this storm yesterday but in previous storms we had the melt/freeze issue on parts of the driveway.
The toothbar was able to get right down to the frozen gravel in most places.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If it's a frozen solid chunk of ice then you will have to wait for warmer weather on a gravel driveway or be prepared to use a LOT of salt if your driveway is paved. Either way you won't be plowing much of anything.

Hopefully you don't get ice dams and water backing up into the house.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
We tend to get this icing effect every 4-5 years. The freeze, thaw effect creates lots of ice, the ice balls and rain, freeze up quickly. Waiting for a couple days in the high 30’s, then I can scrape away with the angled back blade, and shave it off and away.