Any of you guys use a disc plow?

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Disk breaking plow is easier to pull than a moldboard because of the rolling action of the disk. It will also handle roots & rocks better but will leave soil rougher than a moldboard. Disk plow must normally be steered by rear furrow wheel especially in real hard soil. In my youth I plowed 100's of acres with a 4 disk pull type plow.

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA

What do you like better over a bottom plow?
LSMurphy,

We don't own a disc plow and we do have a 1 bottom plow. I have used it for trenching a power line, making a new drainage ditch and for yard decoration.

My neighbor is a farmer and has a 4 disc plow that he used to prepare for planting seed.

I guess that is the main difference for us in addition to what was already written. Others may have some new info for you.

Burt

TexasBoy

Equipment
Kubota M7060 HDC12 & L4600DT
Dec 11, 2013
Central Texas
We just rolled over 10 acres with ours. The work great with less friction and you dont need a coulter wheel. But you do hafta pay attention to the main bearings and how much lash they have as they wear. Dont neglect that part or they will wear out fast.

Last edited:

The_Al

Equipment
L3540, Heavy duty FEL, 9' bachoe, Brush hog, 72" grappler
Jul 19, 2013
MA

What do you like better over a bottom plow?
I use a bottom plow, and it does a pretty good job at various heights. In new areas with lots of roots it does a pretty good job, with some pins breaking of course. I would guess the disc plow does as well of a job, without breaking pins.