Any Bathroom Designers Out There?

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
After thinking about this awhile. Often the toilet room is a small closet off to one side. Rethink about making it large enough for the wheelchair or a helper. Also add blocking for the grab bars. And I pray you never need to use them.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
ONLY issue is finding one. Don't have a clue how one does that...
You go to the local building supplier and ask which contractor they recommend. You talk to friends/family to find out who they recommend. You have to be willing to pay top dollar and wait not low bidder get it done now to get a good contractor.

Ive built my business 100% on word of mouth and have a long list of satisfied happy customers. When you go to the local mason supplier and ask who to get, they will give you my card and one other guys card.
If you ask a friend or family member if they have a recommendation for a mason, they will give that friend/family my number.

If you see a large company that does a lot of advertising in the construction trade, its a sure thing that they will put out crap work. A craftsman doesnt need to advertise.

Reactions: 1 user

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
We are in the middle of a bathroom remodel.
I contacted 7 companies over two months trying to get quotes and ideas.
4 wanted to just do a bathtub cover-up and replace.
1 asked for measurements and gave quote without coming on property.
1 came in did a fast over view and mailed a quote.
The last guy came in with a tape measure and notebook. He went over ever inch of the bath and then went to the basement to move ceiling tiles and look from the bottom up. He then spent an hour with the wife and I talking about ideas and needs/wants. He then showed us pictures of his finished jobs and what might work for us. We signed a contract right then and there.
He was not the cheapest and he put us on a wait list but so far he is fantastic. Wood floors protected and each night before he leaves all the tools are packed and the floors vacuumed.
The wife picked fixtures from Lowes, Home Depot, and Wayfair. Contractor will buy flooring and subway tile.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
We are in the middle of a bathroom remodel.
I contacted 7 companies over two months trying to get quotes and ideas.
4 wanted to just do a bathtub cover-up and replace.
1 asked for measurements and gave quote without coming on property.
1 came in did a fast over view and mailed a quote.
The last guy came in with a tape measure and notebook. He went over ever inch of the bath and then went to the basement to move ceiling tiles and look from the bottom up. He then spent an hour with the wife and I talking about ideas and needs/wants. He then showed us pictures of his finished jobs and what might work for us. We signed a contract right then and there.
He was not the cheapest and he put us on a wait list but so far he is fantastic. Wood floors protected and each night before he leaves all the tools are packed and the floors vacuumed.
The wife picked fixtures from Lowes, Home Depot, and Wayfair. Contractor will buy flooring and subway tile.
Sounds like you found a winner. Please do report back after the job is finished...

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I have tiled over 2000 houses with 4000 baths so I can give a few ideas. And yes I have a few tractors also.

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I don't think you will find a bathroom designer on a forum about tractors
That may be true but you might someone who has used a designer in your zip code.
A recommendation from a trusted source says a lot more than a web page.

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
I've always done my own bathrooms because in a large majority of cases, tile contractors and plumbers skimp on properly waterproofing shower enclosures and tub surrounds. There is typically no recourse for this either after shoddy work has been done and paid for. Do a ton of research on waterproofing techniques and materials for showers before signing any contracts and inspect the work as the contractor progresses. You will thank me later.

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Sounds like you found a winner. Please do report back after the job is finished...
Finished ! Shower is subway tile, niches have floor tile backs and marble sides. Shower base has 1X6 white marble added for more 3d look. Shower doors slide like barn doors. New plumbing from basement up. New wiring/switch for vanity light. This guy was great. More important... wife is happy. 13K-15K
20220613_180426 (1).jpg

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
To difficult to do from a distance, but bathrooms are easy, have done many, & kitchens as well.
A few pointers. Since both bathrooms exist, keep the water closets in the same location or only a few feet away. You should save the cost of moving the main waste stack & vent. The other fixtures are plug & play but venting them will still add cost. water lines can be chased up an interior wall w/ k copper or pex. The further you extend away from the main stack, the more costs escalate. Is there a attic or crawl space above the second flood bath for a new vent connection.? Try to minimize roof penetrations. If you live in a cold climate, do not place water lines in ext wall. Window locations can also conflict w/ fixture layout.
Get a few contractor estimates. Find out if they are a broker or they have employees. How many bathrooms have they done❓ Call his customers, how long did the job take, issues, cost overruns, Talk to the local building inspector, what contractors always pass inspections, first time.? Complete the first room before disrupting the second. Do NOT give down payments. I never asked for them. When work is @ least 1/2 done & inspected, then some partial payment is acceptable. There are many stories of half completed jobs w/ a missing contractor. Be vigilant. Get his insurance certificates, some try to avoid a building permit, claim to save you re-assesment for property tax. That is crap, there are no secret remodels & when caught, they fine you + tear open walls for inspection. Plus you can void your homeowners policy for performing un- inspected work.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I started this thread a couple years ago.

We finally go to the point of getting a quote from a contractor we know and trust. Did quite a bit of work here before. Easy to work with and good work delivered.

The design doesn't check ALL the boxes we were looking for but does most of them.

Most of that is due to the retrofit in existing spaces - - - some walls can't be moved, and we're not looking to do an addition. Applies especially to the downstairs bath, where accessibility is more of a concern. We won't meet ADA guidelines, but best we can do.

While his quote was shocking, it was just +3% above my own "bar napkin" estimate. I was hoping to be on the high-side..... ;)

I've already talked to him about some "adders" while he's here. Main thing is a generator connection/transfer switch, as they'll be doing a lot of electrical work anyway.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Resurrected my old thread.

This is the upstairs bathroom almost done. Needs a door on the shower.

The downstairs bathroom and laundry room will follow in a few weeks if the Mrs. doesn’t do me in before then….

IMG_1972.jpeg

IMG_1971.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I'm not a bathroom designer,

But I've decorated a few toilets in the past... :poop:
This was a Christmas gift last year.....

image.jpg

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
We're getting close to the downstairs bathroom being done.

While not ADA compliant, we tried to get it MUCH more accessible than before. Clearance between vanity and wall is 36”, but entry door is only 32. That’s the best we could do.

This bathroom was done 25 years ago with a tub/shower and very tight confines. I think entry door was 30", and clearance was less than 20" in one spot.

We’ve had several knee, foot and neurosurgerical procedures over the years that caused real challenges for family members to access the bathroom. Was our only full bath for 33 years.

This should make things easier, and the Mrs. and I are not getting any younger…

IMG_6632.jpeg

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I'm not a bathroom designer,

But I've decorated a few toilets in the past... :poop:
John T - I spent 15 years in the County Health Department in the Environmental Health field.

We used to say 💩 was a technical term..😉

Last edited: