Ants in light switches

Buffalo

Equipment
L3901, FEL, mower deck
Mar 17, 2016
Oklahoma
I have quite a few Walmart light switches installed in my workshop. They seem to be magnets for "sugar ants", who martyr themselves in the switch contacts by the thousands. That ruins the switch of course. The problem is such that I sometimes have to replace switches daily. Does anyone have a (cheap) suggestion ?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Are you sure that they aren’t fire ants or Crazy Raspberry ants?

There is a insecticide called Demon that you can use on the perimeter of the building that is fairly effective for ALL insects. I guess you could turn off the power and spray around the switches and then let that dry out for a day or two before turning power back on.

Boric acid may keep them away from the switches if you spray the powder into the switch outlet box but I have never tried it.

If fire ants then use Amdro bait ( not the insecticide) and it will help get rid of them.

Last edited:

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
IIWM, I’d be replacing the switches from Walmart with some other brand. Who knows what they are made out of. Maybe some mugugaipan.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Good advice from Russell King. He’s right that boric acid works well IF you can figure out where they’re entrance trails are and put it on their trails so they cross it before getting in the switches. Some in the switch boxes wouldn’t hurt, either.

Also, when we start having ants get in our house semi-routinely, the most effective cure I’ve found is spend some time following them and locate their nest. Then take out the whole nest. Once the nest has an established road to somewhere, they seem to just keep coming.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I dont have that problem with switches but with battery packs for my one battery drill. I was told to spray it inside and out with WD40 I thought it was nuts to but I did and haven had a problem with them since

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Yep….WD40….which also is good for the switches.

For killing ant nests I’ve found something I prefer to Amdro at TSC: http://'https//www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/bayer-advanced-fire-ant-killer-dust-16-fl-oz-1073929?cm_mmc=feed-_-GoogleShopping-_-Product-_-1073929&gclid=CjwKCAiAtdGNBhAmEiwAWxGcUmWT3_PhLjaxqCSctdwe9YCafnExujPjpWUoV-HBdf0b36vgCQcsbhoC5EAQAvD_BwE#

Amdro is a BAIT that kills the colony by killing the queen when they bring it to her. Bio-Advance Ant Killer kills ALL of them by contact…without being harmful to vertebrates. (B-cyflorin also kills termites, etc.) Works within a couple hours to kill the entire nest. I’ve even drilled a 1/4” hole in the cap, inserted poly-tubing, and by squeezing the bottle injected the powder into walls where carpenter ants had nested. Poof! Gone! (and saved an expensive exterminator-call)

Attachments