Another Safety Issue—- Seat Switch Deactivated?

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
hmmm. not sure what you two are referring to regarding a BH safety switch??? Do you mean the engine dies if you try to move the machine with forward pedal while the seat is in BH position? I have not tried that with the B2650 as I just use the hoe to scoot me up the trench. I have used the forward pedal on the BX23 when I was in BH position, I could actually reach the pedal with my arm from the seat....then I got lazy and used a stick or short tree spade.

I can assure you that the above fix works fine when standing to try to see the tips of the forks.
The issue is...if you leave the drivers seat to use the BH, you can’t...cause the engine stops when you get up. The only way to actually run the BH (mine is a separate seat behind the drivers seat) is to defeat the safety switch...

FA9D8378-84E7-43C2-86D2-83FA68D8F83F.jpeg
09F8459A-471E-4F1F-8007-06C427210A66.jpeg

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
That is strange. I can leave the drivers seat to get in the back hoe without the engine stopping. I just can't move it. You would have to disable it in your case or you wouldn't be able to use the hoe.
My seat switch stops me from starting or moving without being in the seat which is reasonable but I can still move the FEL or hoe.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Probably better to fold the ROPS down without a seatbelt.
I know this is what is commonly stated, and something I just believed without thinking about it until this moment.

Why is that? Is the thought behind the statement that the ROPS may turn the tractor into a mouse trap, with the operator being the mouse, worst case?

Just seem like if the ROPS missed you, and stopped the tractor from rolling more, it might be better if the ROPS were up during a tip over, even if you were not wearing your seat belt.

Not arguing either way...just trying to understand the logic...:)

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Fortunately they don't tie it into the seatbelt as well.

I never wear a seat belt on an open air ROPS machine. Too exposed without a quick exit. I have been nearly impaled (more than once) in the woods, attacked by bees etc. I rolled over in an old ford backhoe when I was younger and would have been crushed by a fence if I was wearing a belt. In open air I want a rapid exit option.

Inside a cab, I always wear a seat belt to stay inside that space.

Like mom always said, make good decisions.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
My ROPS Owner's Manual states that if the ROPS was up; wear the lap belt. If the ROPS was folded; so not wear the lap belt.

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
My last 2 tractors JD 4310 & Grand L6060, I installed a bypass switch. My grand son has been driving my tractors since he was 8 or 10 and I didn't want him to be able to forget to shut the implement off before dismounting. Now when I need to stand up to see the fork tips or run the chipper, etc I just flip the switch and seat switch is bypassed. I hate to disconnect safety switches but some of them are not user friendly.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
What's idiotic to me is 'they' add parts/wiring to prevent someone from cutting grass in reverse on riders.. then after we complain, they add MORE part/wiring to allow us to cut grass in reverse.....oh yeah, first 10 pages are safety instructions and warnings, sigh...

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
What's idiotic to me is 'they' add parts/wiring to prevent someone from cutting grass in reverse on riders.. then after we complain, they add MORE part/wiring to allow us to cut grass in reverse.....oh yeah, first 10 pages are safety instructions and warnings, sigh...
+1

Yes, that is ridiculous... My Craftsman Lawn Tractor key/start switch has 4 positions: OFF, Start, Run/Mow forward but die while attempting to mow in reverse, and RUN/MOW any direction desired. Go figure.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
The operator presence switch has been defeated on all (3) of my Kubotas that have such switches. That is one of the very first things that I do when buying a new tractor.

SDT
Same here, gone the first day. No thanks nanny state, I'm a big boy now! Also, my ROP have never been unfolded, as it's height would preclude me parking it in the outbuilding that I do. Even folded in half it'd be of some use in a roll over though.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
... but having to get off, raise seat arms, reset seat, turn seat, get on ,drive 10', get off, turn seat, get on....is well. tiring and a HUGE waste of time.....
That's why I installed a separate BH seat, and the swivel seat adapter is sitting in a box. I often have to move the tractor forward or back several feet to realign. Standing beside the tractor I can lift the bucket, hold the safety switch down with one finger while the other hand moves the foot pedal, reset the bucket, then climb back on the BH. Swiveling that seat back and forth every time I get on/off the BH would drive me even further into the crazy zone than I already am.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
+1

Yes, that is ridiculous... My Craftsman Lawn Tractor key/start switch has 4 positions: OFF, Start, Run/Mow forward but die while attempting to mow in reverse, and RUN/MOW any direction desired. Go figure.
Agreed, disabled on one of my zero turns, and the other two have key positions that allow for mowing in reverse. I found that its' really hard on the electric clutches constantly popping in and out. I get that you really shouldn't need reverse with a zero turn, but you still do at times.

I will say that I sort of understand the issue. Just last year, there was a guy locally that backed his mower over his son in the driveway...blades running. His son lived...barely, and not without some lifelong injuries.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Just last year, there was a guy locally that backed his mower over his son

sad, real sad but ...
?? HOW can a guy backup without looking ????

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
re: Just last year, there was a guy locally that backed his mower over his son

sad, real sad but ...
?? HOW can a guy backup without looking ????
I think many of us just get in a hurry. I didn't see any additional report on the incident that I was referring to, but it happened in October 2019 not far from me. The boy was 6 y/o and the last report stated he was recovering in the ICU.

Yes, it's sad.

gsganzer

Mar 5, 2015
Denton, Texas
On my BX, I have a jumper in the seat switch that I can insert/remove as needed. The seat switch is a PITA on a tractor that's primarily used for lawn mowing, but when I let my kids mow, I remove the jumper.

zargnut

Equipment
B2601
Mar 19, 2018
Baltimore, MD
I ran into the same issue on my B2601.. but apparently unlike the b2650 which earlier poster said it would not shut off if PTO engaged when off the seat, mine dies regardless of position when I start tractor, never sit in seat, and leave trans in neutral .

I rigged a mechanical lever.. but thinking it may be more reliable to just add a button in parallel to the switch to bypass it. Can anyone confirm this is just a SPST lever switch? Any special tips for bypassing it?

Attachments

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
On my BX23 there are I believe, 3 safety switches, seat, pto, and treadle. Most of the time they don't interfere with whatever you are doing on with the tractor. That being said, there are times when they are a PIA and for this I have a switch that bypasses them all.

Attachments

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
Got rid of my mine the first day, a brand new L3301. No thanks.

I also disabled the beeper when traveling gizmo on my U25 S mini excavator, are you kidding me?! But, I didn't remove it entirely, (as I may sell it, unlike my tractor, which will be buried with me) just wired in a defeat switch, and even labeled it.

tor

Jun 25, 2009
SC
Can't feed the chipper while sitting in the seat. Disabled it the first day.

tawood

Equipment
L2501
Apr 18, 2020
Lapeer, MI
OP, you just reminded me that I need to / still have not removed my seat safety switch. Damn thing makes the motor cut out every time I lean forward to see where I'm going. It is a royal PITA.

Now a question for those that have removed it: Is it an "open" or "closed" circuit for the tractor to run? My last riding lawn mower, a department store JD mower, was a "closed" circuit; in other words, I couldn't just disconnect the wiring, I then had to close the circuit (I made a connector in the wiring plug, so I could remove it and reconnect the safety switch if I ever sold the mower). An "open to run" circuit is easier to deal with: just unplug it!