Another reminder to be careful with your tractor

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I just read this article about a tractor overturning. It sounds like they (adult and child) was working next to the pond with a tractor and it overturned into the pond. The adult was able to escape, the child was trapped until the fire department was able to rescue the child.

Child rushed to hospital after tractor tipped into South County pond | St. Louis News Headlines | kmov.com

ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) -- A child was rushed to the hospital Thursday night in a water rescue in south St. Louis County.

Officials with the St. Louis County Police Department said an adult and a child were submerged in a pond after a tractor tipped over in the 4100 block of Meramec Bottom Road. This is near Lemay Ferry Road.

The adult was able to escape.

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
A guy was killed in a Farmall 885 rollover a town over from us last month. Sad part was they didn't find him till the next day. I heard the roadway was wet and the crown on that particular curve is pretty steep. There was no traffic involved which is unusual as city people don't know that tractors have the right to be on the roads.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I just read this article about a tractor overturning. It sounds like they (adult and child) was working next to the pond with a tractor and it overturned into the pond. The adult was able to escape, the child was trapped until the fire department was able to rescue the child.

Child rushed to hospital after tractor tipped into South County pond | St. Louis News Headlines | kmov.com

ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) -- A child was rushed to the hospital Thursday night in a water rescue in south St. Louis County.

Officials with the St. Louis County Police Department said an adult and a child were submerged in a pond after a tractor tipped over in the 4100 block of Meramec Bottom Road. This is near Lemay Ferry Road.

AND another reminder why it IS best NOT to have kids on the tractor with you!

Reactions: 2 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
See Item 9:

479B1E30-6793-4BA0-AFA6-54CA04E60EEA.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Love our pond. Hate driving the tractor anywhere near it. I don’t want to roll over anywhere but something about potentially ending up in the water just makes it 10 times scarier.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO

I hadn't heard anything about this, I drove by there about a week ago going around a wreck on I-55.

I hope the child will be okay, but I hope others learn that it is a bad idea to give a child a ride on a tractor.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
My Grandad turned a John Deere Model 70 over on himself. Grandma found him dead. Not sure what happened, but he got out of the field and headed down a gulley.

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Not a turnover but a tractor safety story. About 4 years ago, a doctor was killed near when he was loading hay rolls with his tractor. Apparently he was backing up and operating the front lift at the same time. The bale came off and pinned him against his seat and he was killed.

MDCobraMan

Equipment
Kubota L3430 Grand Open ROPS, L3430 Grand Cab, F2400
Jun 8, 2021
Gives me chills to hear this. I'm involved in industrial safety on a professional level and it always worries me how quickly things like this can happen and why they happen. Almost always human error. Not trying to tear someone up but as most of us know having kids on or around tractors is dangerous and adding other factors such as terrain, unpredictable traction or water features only increase the probability of an incident. I often hear how we do it all the time or I've done it forever but complacency is just another form of Russian roulette.
Please be safe, if not for yourself for the ones that have to live without you.

Reactions: 1 users

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Gives me chills to hear this. I'm involved in industrial safety on a professional level and it always worries me how quickly things like this can happen and why they happen. Almost always human error. Not trying to tear someone up but as most of us know having kids on or around tractors is dangerous and adding other factors such as terrain, unpredictable traction or water features only increase the probability of an incident. I often hear how we do it all the time or I've done it forever but complacency is just another form of Russian roulette.
Please be safe, if not for yourself for the ones that have to live without you.
To me, if there was going to be a safety on the tractor with an FEL, it should somehow disable the FEL or at least sound an an alarm if the tractor is in reverse and the lift function is being used. I had an “oh crap” moment a couple years again while backing and raising the bucket with a heavy log in it. since then, I don’t back and raise at the same time.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Most, if not all, of the safeties are good things IMO, but there is no complete substitute for diligence or complete bar to operator error. If you’re doing something such as lifting and backing, where your attention needs to be in two directions simultaneously, to save a few seconds or driving on the edge of a pond that may have unseen muskrat holes that could collapse it’s almost certain to catch up with you someday. I’ve done innumerable dumb things in my life. Sometimes you get a second chance and learn a lesson for the future. Sometimes you don’t get a second chance.

Snowman7

Equipment
LX3310 535 loader, LX2980, RB2672, FDR1660
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
Most, if not all, of the safeties are good things IMO, but there is no complete substitute for diligence or complete bar to operator error. If you’re doing something such as lifting and backing, where your attention needs to be in two directions simultaneously, to save a few seconds or driving on the edge of a pond that may have unseen muskrat holes that could collapse it’s almost certain to catch up with you someday. I’ve done innumerable dumb things in my life. Sometimes you get a second chance and learn a lesson for the future. Sometimes you don’t get a second chance.
Very well stated