Another Log Splitter Question

jasons

Dec 30, 2011
Hallsville, MO
I bought a 3pt log splitter and had the guy drop it off at my house while I wasn't home. Turns out it's HUGE, or at least it seems huge to me. The 3pt it way to big for my L235DT and I'm worried if my tractor's hydraulics will even run the splitter? I'm not sure what will happen if my tractor is too small, but I don't want to hurt anything on the tractor. A neighbor of mine tells me a 3pt splitter that runs off the tractor's hydraulics isn't an efficient way to split wood...he says it's hard on a tractor??

I apologize for being unprepared, but I'll take a couple pictures tomorrow and try to get them posted later tomorrow evening.

-Jason

jasons

Dec 30, 2011
Hallsville, MO
The hydraulic lines on my L235DT are 1/2" and the hydraulic lines on the splitter are 3/4".

I promised pictures so here they are, but they don't do a very good job showing how large this splitter is. It's huge! I bet it weighs around 450lbs. I just don't think I'm even going to try to hook it up to my tractor...

I don't know anything about hydraulics, but is there anything I can do to make this work well. I'm on a tight budget, but I want to split wood so bad!

Here's the 3/4" hose from the splitter beside the 1/2" hose on the tractor:

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I'd go ahead and try it, worst case you'll find out it's too slow and you'll need to get a PTO pump and reservoir for it.

BadAxeB

Equipment
B2100HSD
Nov 28, 2011
Michigan
It'll work - just not real fast - I use one on my B2100 to split about 20 cords every year!
And it uses less than 1/2 the fuel that my stand-alone pull behind splitter used to!

jasons

Dec 30, 2011
Hallsville, MO
I got it hooked up, pulled the lever and immediately blew hydraulic fluid from the splitter hose sky high!! This thing is awesome...I just wish I could split some wood!

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
"blew hydraulic fluid from the splitter hose sky high" ??? :eek:

Be reminded that high pressure fluid can be harmfull, like a water using flowjet.

Be careful and have fun.

der carl

jasons

Dec 30, 2011
Hallsville, MO
Update

Yesterday I worked on the splitter some more and got enough leaks fixed so I can see how it operates. My $375 splitter is already up to about $500. :mad:

I still have one small leak that drips occasionally, but I'll pull it apart and try to get it sealed up after Church Services this morning.

The pictures show about 15 minutes of splitting wood. I didn't intend on running it very long, but I couldn't stop and about an hour later ended up with a stack about 10ft long and 6ft high. What a blast! It runs plenty fast for me. I've never run a splitter, but I wouldn't want this to run much faster. My throttle is up about 3/4, but I was splitting green wood some of which was tree trunks I could hardly pick up and set on the splitter. You see a couple of the pieces in the 1st picture. I LOVE THIS THING!!

I lost quite a bit of hydraulic fluid from all the leaks, so I'll get that cleaned up once I can get it sealed.

How would you all clean this up in order to paint it?

I'll snap a couple more pictures today if I can.

moderatmixed

Mar 24, 2011
Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
I have a B6100 and the hydraulics run my front end loader..... So what's my point? There is a reason why we buy Kubota. That is simply because it WILL. Whatever you ask of it, no matter how "small" you think your tractor, it's hydraulics, it's engine is, again, it WILL. Enjoy the splitter..... Looks like just enough fun to go for it myself..... But will my tractor run it? Of course it will; it's. A Kubota.

Cheers.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Glad you got it working. That thing looked a rough, it'd probably been sitting around for years while the hoses rotted away. How's driving with it? It definitely looks a little back heavy :)

When funds allows I'd find a cheap trailer axle, throw it on the back and then you can tow it around. Put a ball hitch on the front if you don't like hooking up the 3pt.

jasons

Dec 30, 2011
Hallsville, MO
Thanks "moderatmixed." I think you're right! ;)

The front end is very light, but I take my time driving it. I'd like to put a spindle and wheel on the very back to help with the weight.

I ended up having to purchase a new hydraulic control valve. It started leaking fluid like crazy again. Since I installed the valve I've been a wood splitting fool. This crazy log splitter will split anything I can put on it. The huge, green logs I put on there won't split down the center, but I knock the sides off and it does great. I had a 150lb + log on there this afternoon and the splitter liked it!:)

I plan on welding a plate on it to set the valve back a little + put a hitch on the very back for my trailer so I can split wood and toss it directly into the trailer.

Old control valve. It was pouring fluid out the "dust cover" on the right side of the valve:

New control valve:

This is a larger log, but no-where near as large as some I've been splitting:

This is how I whittle them down:

Here's my little dump trailer with an old Model T axle under it. I'm not sure who built this thing, but it's insanely heavy. It's a huge handful for two men to pick up, (ask me how I know).

-Jason

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Nice! I've also got a utility trailer with a vintage Ford front axle under it. My Grandpa said it was a model A. He gave it to me when I was a teenager. I tore the old box off, cut the axle in half and stretched it to build a low deck flatbed. My first real DIY with no help from Dad or Grandpa welding project. The spindles have "Ford" in script cast or forged into them between the bearings. Pushing 100 years old and still flies down the road smooth as silk.