Another B2401

El Jefe

Equipment
B2401
May 18, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
Yes, that would be interesting to know. There are three Kubota dealers within an hour from me and none of them are interested in bringing them in unless a deal is made. If that’s the attitude all over NA the sales will be very low I would expect. Many people probably don’t even know it’s an option. The two dealers I approached didn’t even know what I was talking about when I said B2401. They each had to look it up..
I think the target market for the B2401 is more ag than homeowner and it seems to me that the B2401 is the replacement for the B2320DT/DTN to consolidate the B series in to one platform. If thats true Kubota probably knows exactly how many they'll sell. From my limited experience with Kubota the dealer inventory varied significantly based on the customers served. In May when I was shopping before the B2401 landed the dealer I bought from had a B2320DT (and a DTN) and multiple L2501DT tractors in stock and more on the way. They didn't have a B2401 on order but gladly worked out a trade and got one of the first ones from another dealer in the area. I think vineyards and orchards tend to use the small tractors for mowing and pulling carts during harvest.

jbolt001

Equipment
B2401, LA435, BB1254, Qick Hitch, Straw Rake, Debris Forks
Jul 13, 2020
California / Oregon
Yes, that would be interesting to know. There are three Kubota dealers within an hour from me and none of them are interested in bringing them in unless a deal is made. If that’s the attitude all over NA the sales will be very low I would expect. Many people probably don’t even know it’s an option. The two dealers I approached didn’t even know what I was talking about when I said B2401. They each had to look it up..
It is my understanding the B2401 was introduced to compete with manufactures who sell the smaller gear tractors. Hydros seem to be the norm in this size so it may be a smaller market share. I also looked at Kioti and Mahindra and while both could order gear models they only had hydro models to look at. I had originally intended to get the Kioti but the dealers sales experience was so unprofessional I walked away.

My Kubota dealer was only aware of the B2401 because another customer had ordered a B2401DT Narrow model. It was still in the crate when I first went to talk with them. After getting my tractor in and assembled they were really impressed with it for the price point.

I got the impression that most tractors they sold, other than BX models, were not stocked but ordered from their distributor. Except for a few L & M models the majority of the tractors on the lot were BX models. Every time I have stopped by there were always a few machines being assembled so they seem to do a good volume just not much variety on the lot to kick tires. Larger dealers up north may have had more variety on the lot.

Stevebx23s

Equipment
BX23S
Sep 13, 2020
NB, Canada
I think the target market for the B2401 is more ag than homeowner and it seems to me that the B2401 is the replacement for the B2320DT/DTN to consolidate the B series in to one platform. If thats true Kubota probably knows exactly how many they'll sell. From my limited experience with Kubota the dealer inventory varied significantly based on the customers served. In May when I was shopping before the B2401 landed the dealer I bought from had a B2320DT (and a DTN) and multiple L2501DT tractors in stock and more on the way. They didn't have a B2401 on order but gladly worked out a trade and got one of the first ones from another dealer in the area. I think vineyards and orchards tend to use the small tractors for mowing and pulling carts during harvest.
Very likely.. what do you use your tractor for?

El Jefe

Equipment
B2401
May 18, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
Very likely.. what do you use your tractor for?
I am a homeowner and use it to maintain a few acres. Currently I am clearing 100 or so large trees from my property-then I will be grading and doing some heavy landscaping. I have just over 50 hours on my B2401 skidding and moving logs and chipping.

Reactions: 1 user

DS524

Equipment
None (yet!)
Dec 29, 2020
Mid Atlantic
I did a quick look at the rear port location and need to spend some more time thinking about how I want to set up the rear remotes. I can see why the valves are mounted on the ROPS. The rear tire and fender will have to be removed to access the rear port.

I will most likely stay with ghe R14's. There are a few areas of the property that are better suited for a more aggressive tread. My original thought on R4's was tire life.

Installed a HF quick hitch. Seems decently made but the top hook is not deep enought for the lower pins on my straw rake to rest on the bottom hooks. Not sure if that is an issue or not.

View attachment 46920
Are optional factory rear SCVs not available on the B2401? I see they are on the B23/2601 but Kubota's "build your own" doesn't show them for the B2401 which I'm hoping isn't correct.

Have you put them on your tractor yet?

jbolt001

Equipment
Jul 13, 2020
California / Oregon
Are optional factory rear SCVs not available on the B2401? I see they are on the B23/2601 but Kubota's "build your own" doesn't show them for the B2401 which I'm hoping isn't correct.

Have you put them on your tractor yet?
Not yet. I wont be moving to the property permanently until late summer Probably wont get to it until next winter. I have the valve and cylinders just need to be there more than a few weeks a year.

There is a rear port on the right side. The manual shows an optional adapter to use the ports. I will be seeing my dealer in a few weeks and plan on finding out what the availability/cost of the part is at that time. If it is not available or ridiculously priced I will fabricate one myself.

B2401 Rear Outlet.png

DS524

Equipment
None (yet!)
Dec 29, 2020
Mid Atlantic
Not yet. I wont be moving to the property permanently until late summer Probably wont get to it until next winter. I have the valve and cylinders just need to be there more than a few weeks a year.

There is a rear port on the right side. The manual shows an optional adapter to use the ports. I will be seeing my dealer in a few weeks and plan on finding out what the availability/cost of the part is at that time. If it is not available or ridiculously priced I will fabricate one myself.

View attachment 54988
Thanks! I admittedly don't know a lot yet with respect to tractors but seems to me that what you're showing would be for a power beyond circuit to run a BH or other implement w/it's own controls.

I was wondering if the reason they weren't offered was because the 2401's gearshift lever is where the controls for rear SCV's would normally go on an HST. I posted the same questions (rear valves & 3rd function on B01 FEL's) on Messick's B2401 vid. but he doesn't respond to much. Was supposed to go up there and test drive a B2401 last month & this was one of many questions I had for the salesman but life got in the way. IDK if they still have one now. After doing a LOT of research & reading the experiences of a few owners (@El Jefe & I were discussing on another thread), I'm pretty sure I want a B2401 but I'd sure like to have factory designed rear SCV's like the HST's do.

Will be following here if you could post what your dealer comes up w/. There's very little information out there on B2401's. Would sure be interesting to see the factory installation instructions for the rear valves for the HST models (all the options dealer assembled parts come w/detailed instructions for the service techs).

jbolt001

Equipment
Jul 13, 2020
California / Oregon
Thanks! I admittedly don't know a lot yet with respect to tractors but seems to me that what you're showing would be for a power beyond circuit to run a BH or other implement w/it's own controls.

I was wondering if the reason they weren't offered was because the 2401's gearshift lever is where the controls for rear SCV's would normally go on an HST. I posted the same questions (rear valves & 3rd function on B01 FEL's) on Messick's B2401 vid. but he doesn't respond to much. Was supposed to go up there and test drive a B2401 last month & this was one of many questions I had for the salesman but life got in the way. IDK if they still have one now. After doing a LOT of research & reading the experiences of a few owners (@El Jefe & I were discussing on another thread), I'm pretty sure I want a B2401 but I'd sure like to have factory designed rear SCV's like the HST's do.

Will be following here if you could post what your dealer comes up w/. There's very little information out there on B2401's. Would sure be interesting to see the factory installation instructions for the rear valves for the HST models (all the options dealer assembled parts come w/detailed instructions for the service techs).
There are no cutouts in the rear fender on the B2401 for factory valves like there is on the 2301 & 2601. I'm not sure of Kubotas intention for the rear port other than implements that have there own valves. I'm okay with a ROPS mounted valve.

This is the B2601 rear valve assembly.

B2601 Rear Valves.png

DS524

Equipment
None (yet!)
Dec 29, 2020
Mid Atlantic
There are no cutouts in the rear fender on the B2401 for factory valves like there is on the 2301 & 2601. I'm not sure of Kubotas intention for the rear port other than implements that have there own valves. I'm okay with a ROPS mounted valve.

This is the B2601 rear valve assembly.

View attachment 55032
Thanks - I've only ever seen one 1 ea. B2301/B2601 on a dealer lot but I wonder if the fender from a B2601 could be installed on a B2401. I'd rather have the factory setup if possible but will live w/it it it can't be assuming once I get to test out ea. that I go w/the B2401. I think personally that I'll just like it a lot better than a HST.

jbolt001

Equipment
Jul 13, 2020
California / Oregon
Thanks - I've only ever seen one 1 ea. B2301/B2601 on a dealer lot but I wonder if the fender from a B2601 could be installed on a B2401. I'd rather have the factory setup if possible but will live w/it it it can't be assuming once I get to test out ea. that I go w/the B2401. I think personally that I'll just like it a lot better than a HST.
The cutouts in the fenders are copmletely diffetent due to the control diffetences. With the transmission and hydraulic differences I have doubts the bolt patterns are even the same. The HST models are considered premium models with more fearures and options. The 2401 is more of a basic machine.

Let us know youy thoughts when you are able to test drive.

DS524

Equipment
None (yet!)
Dec 29, 2020
Mid Atlantic
The cutouts in the fenders are copmletely diffetent due to the control diffetences. With the transmission and hydraulic differences I have doubts the bolt patterns are even the same. The HST models are considered premium models with more fearures and options. The 2401 is more of a basic machine.

Let us know youy thoughts when you are able to test drive.
I certainly will! It'll be my 1st tractor. I've wanted one my whole life and am super excited. Will be getting the FEL & BH. Was considering a 2025R but IMHO, the big overall difference is that in this frame size, the B01's have so many more "real tractor" features whereas the 2025R has more convenience/appearance features. My big issues w/the Kubota were the metal hood & fuel fill location (Kubota sells a slick fuel can for fueling these & I'll have to live w/the fact that the metal hood will likely get scratches/dents), the Treadle Pedal (not my reason for wanting a B2401 but it does get rid of that objection), & the mower deck attaching but thanks to @El Jefe 's suggestion, I'm going to go with an offset flail mower (one reason for wanting the rear SCV's) which I think for my property and plans with the tractor (only way I can justify is to do work for hire but not grass cutting) that the flail mower will work out much better and for basically the same price as a MMM. My biggest concern at this point I think is the PTO not working in reverse on the B2401 & w/o any experience I just don't if that'll be an issue.

What's odd is that in my understanding of Kubota's model numbering system, B01's (2301/2401/2601) should all be premium models whereas the old B20's were the more basic machine. Seemingly the current B2401 should really be a B2420 but I'm sure they're tired of hearing the criticisms that their model # system is too confusing. In the case of the rear SCV's, to me that's more of a functional option anyway rather than something that should only be available on a premium model. As long as a different fender needed to be made for B2401 anyway, why not incorporate the same cutouts (and I assume blockouts if not equipped as such) as they do for the rear SCV's on the B2301/B2601? Maybe I'm not seeing the full picture.

Not sure yet what all the "premium" vs. basic model differences are but so far, besides the lack of availability of rear SCV's:
  1. I know the seat is different. I'm sure a B2301/2601 seat would interchange. Hoping the LX2650 seat will as well although also not sure if armrests are necessary or even desirable w/the gear drive - They may be a hindrance as seemingly one's arms will be quite busy.
  2. I believe the mounts on the ends of the swing arms are fixed vs. ball mounts on the B2301/B2601 (again, seems interchangeable).
  3. Lack of tilt/cruise - Understandable on the cruise I think (although maybe still useful in say, mowing a field) & maybe tilt only would require a different steering col. as the cruise is probably incorporated. Hopefully the std. wheel angle will be satisfactory.
IIRC, that's all I've come up with (?). How much savings on the seat & swing arms could there be? $25 maybe? I'm probably in the minority (as usual w/seemingly anything I want to buy:)), but I'd like to see (& would gladly pay for) the B2401 as a true premium offering as the model # suggests. For me, sure, the upfront cost savings on the gear drive is attractive as are the lower maintenance & fuel costs (the manufacturers want ppl to buy HST's b/c of the post-sale maintenance revenue stream they provide), but I think I'll simply prefer the gear drive to the HST although those of us who would are seemingly in the minority. Cadillac now offers a manual transmission in their sports sedan just as does BMW & others & I'm sure those cars have all the premium features although you can no longer get a manual transmission (which I prefer) in a HD pickup truck and even when you could, there were often other premium features that weren't available w/it.

Sorry, my rant for the day:).

Last edited:

jbolt001

Equipment
Jul 13, 2020
California / Oregon
I certainly will! It'll be my 1st tractor. I've wanted one my whole life and am super excited. Will be getting the FEL & BH. Was considering a 2025R but IMHO, the big overall difference is that in this frame size, the B01's have so many more "real tractor" features whereas the 2025R has more convenience/appearance features. My big issues w/the Kubota were the metal hood & fuel fill location (Kubota sells a slick fuel can for fueling these & I'll have to live w/the fact that the metal hood will likely get scratches/dents), the Treadle Pedal (not my reason for wanting a B2401 but it does get rid of that objection), & the mower deck attaching but thanks to @El Jefe 's suggestion, I'm going to go with an offset flail mower (one reason for wanting the rear SCV's) which I think for my property and plans with the tractor (only way I can justify is to do work for hire but not grass cutting) that the flail mower will work out much better and for basically the same price as a MMM. My biggest concern at this point I think is the PTO not working in reverse on the B2401 & w/o any experience I just don't if that'll be an issue.

What's odd is that in my understanding of Kubota's model numbering system, B01's (2301/2401/2601) should all be premium models whereas the old B20's were the more basic machine. Seemingly the current B2401 should really be a B2420 but I'm sure they're tired of hearing the criticisms that their model # system is too confusing. In the case of the rear SCV's, to me that's more of a functional option anyway rather than something that should only be available on a premium model. As long as a different fender needed to be made for B2401 anyway, why not incorporate the same cutouts (and I assume blockouts if not equipped as such) as they do for the rear SCV's on the B2301/B2601? Maybe I'm not seeing the full picture.

Not sure yet what all the "premium" vs. basic model differences are but so far, besides the lack of availability of rear SCV's:
  1. I know the seat is different. I'm sure a B2301/2601 seat would interchange. Hoping the LX2650 seat will as well although also not sure if armrests are necessary or even desirable w/the gear drive - They may be a hindrance as seemingly one's arms will be quite busy.
  2. I believe the mounts on the ends of the swing arms are fixed vs. ball mounts on the B2301/B2601 (again, seems interchangeable).
  3. Lack of tilt/cruise - Understandable on the cruise I think (although maybe still useful in say, mowing a field) & maybe tilt only would require a different steering col. as the cruise is probably incorporated. Hopefully the std. wheel angle will be satisfactory.
IIRC, that's all I've come up with (?). How much savings on the seat & swing arms could there be? $25 maybe? I'm probably in the minority (as usual w/seemingly anything I want to buy:)), but I'd like to see (& would gladly pay for) the B2401 as a true premium offering as the model # suggests. For me, sure, the upfront cost savings on the gear drive is attractive as are the lower maintenance & fuel costs (the manufacturers want ppl to buy HST's b/c of the post-sale maintenance revenue stream they provide), but I think I'll simply prefer the gear drive to the HST although those of us who would are seemingly in the minority. Cadillac now offers a manual transmission in their sports sedan just as does BMW & others & I'm sure those cars have all the premium features although you can no longer get a manual transmission (which I prefer) in a HD pickup truck and even when you could, there were often other premium features that weren't available w/it.

Sorry, my rant for the day:).
The 3-point hitch system is the same design on all the B01 series so it does have the ball mounts. The rear hydraulic system is completely different between the gear drive and HST so the majority of the parts are not interchangeable.

There is no need for cruise control on a gear drive. Select a gear, set the throttle and let the clutch out.

I find the steering wheel position acceptable. Being able to push the column forward to get in and out might be nice but it does not bother me.

I have not operated my tractor for long enough in a way that arm rests would be beneficial for me. I am on and off the tractor a lot. If I were mowing a large amount of acreage in long straight lines I might think different.

Also on the rear valves, the 3-point position and 4wd/2wd control levers are further back on the B2401 due to the gear shift lever so there may not be enough room.

DS524

Equipment
None (yet!)
Dec 29, 2020
Mid Atlantic
The 3-point hitch system is the same design on all the B01 series so it does have the ball mounts. The rear hydraulic system is completely different between the gear drive and HST so the majority of the parts are not interchangeable.

There is no need for cruise control on a gear drive. Select a gear, set the throttle and let the clutch out.

I find the steering wheel position acceptable. Being able to push the column forward to get in and out might be nice but it does not bother me.

I have not operated my tractor for long enough in a way that arm rests would be beneficial for me. I am on and off the tractor a lot. If I were mowing a large amount of acreage in long straight lines I might think different.

Also on the rear valves, the 3-point position and 4wd/2wd control levers are further back on the B2401 due to the gear shift lever so there may not be enough room.
Thanks for all your input! On the ball mounts, I was going off of what Neil Messick said on his B2401 vid. Didn't make much sense to me that Kubota would choose that as the place to shave a few $. There's very little info out there on this model.

The cruise & tilt aren't of much concern. I can certainly live with the wheel position for getting on/off & everyone has said the factory position for operation is satisfactory. I doubt I'd ever use the cruise even on an HST model. I would've thought that even once the gear is selected that a certain amount of throttle would be necessary & that the cruise could be useful in certain situations but having never operated one I could be wrong there.

I'm hoping to get to see a B2401 & an HST B01 next to ea. other & have the installation manual for the optional rear valves on HST in hand to get a better understanding of the layouts & differences.

I guess it's also possible that once I test out a B2401 that it becomes obvious that it's just not right for my application. The salesman @ Messick's has already tried to dissuade me and anyone in this business would tell me that for my application that an HST is the far superior machine & for most people it probably is.

jbolt001

Equipment
Jul 13, 2020
California / Oregon
Thanks for all your input! On the ball mounts, I was going off of what Neil Messick said on his B2401 vid. Didn't make much sense to me that Kubota would choose that as the place to shave a few $. There's very little info out there on this model.

The cruise & tilt aren't of much concern. I can certainly live with the wheel position for getting on/off & everyone has said the factory position for operation is satisfactory. I doubt I'd ever use the cruise even on an HST model. I would've thought that even once the gear is selected that a certain amount of throttle would be necessary & that the cruise could be useful in certain situations but having never operated one I could be wrong there.

I'm hoping to get to see a B2401 & an HST B01 next to ea. other & have the installation manual for the optional rear valves on HST in hand to get a better understanding of the layouts & differences.

I guess it's also possible that once I test out a B2401 that it becomes obvious that it's just not right for my application. The salesman @ Messick's has already tried to dissuade me and anyone in this business would tell me that for my application that an HST is the far superior machine & for most people it probably is.
I think if I were a salesman selling to a first time buyer I would probably steer someone toward a HST for ease of use and less chance of an unsatisfied customer. A non-syncro gearbox takes some getting used to. Certainly not for everyone.

That being said my wife has no issues operating it though she does not do things that require a too fine of a touch so to speak. My B2401 is my first tractor to own but I have had a lot of experience on manual gearbox loaders in the past so I knew what I was getting into and it fits my needs.

Good luck. I hope you are able to do a side by side comparison.

DS524

Equipment
None (yet!)
Dec 29, 2020
Mid Atlantic
I think if I were a salesman selling to a first time buyer I would probably steer someone toward a HST for ease of use and less chance of an unsatisfied customer. A non-syncro gearbox takes some getting used to. Certainly not for everyone.

That being said my wife has no issues operating it though she does not do things that require a too fine of a touch so to speak. My B2401 is my first tractor to own but I have had a lot of experience on manual gearbox loaders in the past so I knew what I was getting into and it fits my needs.

Good luck. I hope you are able to do a side by side comparison.
Thanks! I think I'll take to the non-synchro gearbox pretty quickly but we'll see. HST seems like it'd be so boring to operate. I bought a new Dodge/Cummins p/u once w/an auto and sold it w/in a year. I've had 3 Dodge/Cummins & a Ford/7.3 w/manual & prefer it. I realize a non-synchro is a different animal but also figure a lot of it will be shifting ranges on the 3 sp. rear and even on the HST that requires stopping although also prob. not required as frequently. I've watched Ryan Lynch's B2401 1st test drive vid several times and it looks like a blast to operate.

Vladhed

Equipment
B2401DT, old rear blade, RCR1248 rotary cutter, MK Martin SB54 snow blower
Jul 17, 2021
Perth, ON
My biggest concern at this point I think is the PTO not working in reverse on the B2401 & w/o any experience I just don't if that'll be an issue.
Wait, what? The PTO does not work when you are driving the tractor in reverse? How are you supposed to use a snow blower?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Wait, what? The PTO does not work when you are driving the tractor in reverse? How are you supposed to use a snow blower?
The PTO does operate when in reverse but it lacks "live" PTO so the PTO stops when you clutch the tractor. That would be a pita with a snowblower!

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Snow blowers on B series tractors are on the front and work off the mid PTO. My concern with not having the PTO going backwards would be using a rotary cutter. I often use mine in reverse pushing it into areas I don’t want tractor to go into first or can’t get into while clearing.

Vladhed

Equipment
B2401DT, old rear blade, RCR1248 rotary cutter, MK Martin SB54 snow blower
Jul 17, 2021
Perth, ON
The PTO does operate when in reverse but it lacks "live" PTO so the PTO stops when you clutch the tractor. That would be a pita with a snowblower!
Thank you for clarifying that. I can see an HST being much better for snow blowing as you can vary the tractors reverse speed while continuously driving the blower. In a geared tractor you can only go 3 speeds: L, M and H. 4 if you count putting the transmission in neutral to let the blower clear out a backlog of wet snow. So if L is not slow enough for wet snow you're going to be constantly shifting from R to N and back as you inch the tractor along.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Snow blowers on B series tractors are on the front and work off the mid PTO. My concern with not having the PTO going backwards would be using a rotary cutter. I often use mine in reverse pushing it into areas I don’t want tractor to go into first or can’t get into while clearing.
True - a front mount snowblower is an option for a B series. I have a front-mount on my BX.

But 3PH options are available to fit all sizes from BX- to M-models.

They are also much less expensive, as they don't require a purpose-built front hitch and mid-PTO.

I've also read here that the 3PH are sometimes more heavily constructed than front-mounts.

Last edited: