Another B2401

jbolt001

Equipment
B2401, LA435, BB1254, Qick Hitch, Straw Rake, Debris Forks
Jul 13, 2020
California / Oregon
My dealer delivered my machine today. Really happy with the overall purchase experience with Kubota and the sales guy I worked with.

The B2401 is currently backordered but my dealer went the extra mile and found one at another dealer and did some trading to get it. From order to delivery at my door was 4 weeks.

B2401, LA435 Loader & BB1254 box blade. The box blade was backordered but should be here in 2-3 weeks.

I ordered the tractor with R4 tires but it showed up with R14's and the rears filled with beet juice. They said to run them for a few months and if I want to change them to the R4's no problem.

My first personal tractor. While I would have prefered a larger machine this size is perfect for our property.

My first modification will be adding top and tilt to the three point.

20200804_141353.jpg 20200804_141417.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

dneal

Equipment
B2601
Jun 24, 2020
Missouri
Congrats. I wasn’t sure about the R14s on my 2601 until last week, when I pulled out the roofing company’s scissor lift they got stuck in the back yard. The R4s on my previous tractor would have just loaded up with mud and spun, just like the loader tires on the scissor lift did.

Reactions: 1 user

El Jefe

Equipment
B2401
May 18, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
Congrats! I'm curious to see pics of the rear remotes once you get that sorted out. Also, curious to hear how you like the R14's. I was very close to going with them but chickened out at the last minute because I really didnt want to compromise traction so I went with R1's. If the R14's end up providing similar traction they may be a great option. If for no other reason I really wish I could run more ballast in my rear tires. My R1's only hold 12 gallons each, even with a box blade and filled R1's the B could use more weight. Those look like they would hold twice the volume of water.

jbolt001

Equipment
Jul 13, 2020
California / Oregon
Congrats! I'm curious to see pics of the rear remotes once you get that sorted out. Also, curious to hear how you like the R14's. I was very close to going with them but chickened out at the last minute because I really didnt want to compromise traction so I went with R1's. If the R14's end up providing similar traction they may be a great option. If for no other reason I really wish I could run more ballast in my rear tires. My R1's only hold 12 gallons each, even with a box blade and filled R1's the B could use more weight. Those look like they would hold twice the volume of water.
I did a quick look at the rear port location and need to spend some more time thinking about how I want to set up the rear remotes. I can see why the valves are mounted on the ROPS. The rear tire and fender will have to be removed to access the rear port.

I will most likely stay with ghe R14's. There are a few areas of the property that are better suited for a more aggressive tread. My original thought on R4's was tire life.

Installed a HF quick hitch. Seems decently made but the top hook is not deep enought for the lower pins on my straw rake to rest on the bottom hooks. Not sure if that is an issue or not.

20200805_194631.jpg

jbolt001

Equipment
Jul 13, 2020
California / Oregon
Yes, very pleased so far!

I didn't have much time last week to use it. I used my bolt on debris forks to move a bunch of lumber and wood debris. We were also able to rake and move 6" of duff on the ground in a 1/2 acre area in about four hours. Similar areas had taken two weeks by hand. My wife has since changed her opinion about the usefulness of having a small tractor.

Still getting used to grabbing the gear shift lever and not the loader lever when looking over my shoulder. :rolleyes:

My sales guy, when he delivered the tractor, said the only thing he didn't like was the small throttle pedal. That is one of my favorite features. I like the ability to set a minimum RPM and have a regular throttle. The small pedal makes it easy to toe/heal the throttle & brake while using the clutch.

Not necessarily specific to this model but I really like the quick attach loader. So easy to remove and reattach. When I first tried to remove it the support legs would not drop. after looking it over for a few minutes I found that the dealer had not made all the adjustments. A couple of minutes with a wrench and it was good to go.

Not real thrilled with where the exhaust discharges. I would prefer it discharge out the side further back instead of forward and down like it is. When manipulating the large piles of dry leaves and pine needles the exhaust gets buried which is a fire concern. Also need to add some mesh to the front grill guard.

Even with the tires filled with ballast the rear could use some more weight. Having the box blade or a ballast box on the rear won't always be possible in some areas of the property. At some point I will look into bolt on wheel weights.

I discovered very quickly that pallet forks would be a must have. Called my dealer and they set a side one to pickup with the box blade when it comes in next month. He added it to the original sale so I got the discount.

I asked my sales guy about the optional rear remote port block. He is going to have his parts guy research what is or may be available as a factory setup. I suspect OEM valves, if available for this model, would be pricey. I will post what I find out.

20200806_133933.jpg

El Jefe

Equipment
B2401
May 18, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
Yes, very pleased so far!

I didn't have much time last week to use it. I used my bolt on debris forks to move a bunch of lumber and wood debris. We were also able to rake and move 6" of duff on the ground in a 1/2 acre area in about four hours. Similar areas had taken two weeks by hand. My wife has since changed her opinion about the usefulness of having a small tractor.

Still getting used to grabbing the gear shift lever and not the loader lever when looking over my shoulder. :rolleyes:

My sales guy, when he delivered the tractor, said the only thing he didn't like was the small throttle pedal. That is one of my favorite features. I like the ability to set a minimum RPM and have a regular throttle. The small pedal makes it easy to toe/heal the throttle & brake while using the clutch.

Not necessarily specific to this model but I really like the quick attach loader. So easy to remove and reattach. When I first tried to remove it the support legs would not drop. after looking it over for a few minutes I found that the dealer had not made all the adjustments. A couple of minutes with a wrench and it was good to go.

Not real thrilled with where the exhaust discharges. I would prefer it discharge out the side further back instead of forward and down like it is. When manipulating the large piles of dry leaves and pine needles the exhaust gets buried which is a fire concern. Also need to add some mesh to the front grill guard.

Even with the tires filled with ballast the rear could use some more weight. Having the box blade or a ballast box on the rear won't always be possible in some areas of the property. At some point I will look into bolt on wheel weights.

I discovered very quickly that pallet forks would be a must have. Called my dealer and they set a side one to pickup with the box blade when it comes in next month. He added it to the original sale so I got the discount.

I asked my sales guy about the optional rear remote port block. He is going to have his parts guy research what is or may be available as a factory setup. I suspect OEM valves, if available for this model, would be pricey. I will post what I find out.

View attachment 47106
Your comments are completely aligned with my thoughts.

I just purchased a clamp on exhaust elbow to direct the exhaust out away from the ground and loader. I am amazed at how much dust the exhaust kicks up and when running the chipper I worry about the hot exhaust setting chips on fire. Plus it really creates a lot of soot on the loader. I didn't think I would care about the soot but its hitting two hydraulic fittings and built up enough to look like I had a bit of a leak. I'd prefer not to have the exhaust blasting my hydraulic lines.

Most of the work I'm currently doing is clearing trees. My wife also questioned the need for a small tractor. She is now completely convinced that it was the right decision but she doesn't support the purchase of a grapple. I have the LP PFL42 pallet forks and I use them constantly. Mostly for moving logs and brush but they're very handy and I agree that the SSQA is one of the most useful things ever. A grapple would make tree work much easier but the application seems limited where the pallet forks are on my tractor more than the bucket.

I've gone back and forth on the idea of a quick hitch. For now I have a couple harbor freight furniture dollies that I keep my rear implements on. My shop has a smooth concrete floor and it makes aligning implements and attaching them super easy.

I also really appreciate the foot throttle. One huge advantage to the gear drive is doing light work at almost idle RPM and the foot throttle gives the ability to power into a pile of dirt when needed without wearing earplugs to mask the sound of the engine at constant high RPM's.

I think I mentioned my thoughts on the weight previously. Even with my 500lb chipper on the 3PH the back end feels light at times. The pallet forks have the ability to move weight much farther forward amplifying the need for weight.

Glad its working out for you, still surprised that we're the only two with a B2401 on the forum. Did you see the 'kubota vs kubota' video Messicks posted a few weeks ago? it does a pretty good job of showing the true difference in gear vs HST ability to deliver power to the ground.

jbolt001

Equipment
Jul 13, 2020
California / Oregon
Your comments are completely aligned with my thoughts.

I just purchased a clamp on exhaust elbow to direct the exhaust out away from the ground and loader. I am amazed at how much dust the exhaust kicks up and when running the chipper I worry about the hot exhaust setting chips on fire. Plus it really creates a lot of soot on the loader. I didn't think I would care about the soot but its hitting two hydraulic fittings and built up enough to look like I had a bit of a leak. I'd prefer not to have the exhaust blasting my hydraulic lines.

Most of the work I'm currently doing is clearing trees. My wife also questioned the need for a small tractor. She is now completely convinced that it was the right decision but she doesn't support the purchase of a grapple. I have the LP PFL42 pallet forks and I use them constantly. Mostly for moving logs and brush but they're very handy and I agree that the SSQA is one of the most useful things ever. A grapple would make tree work much easier but the application seems limited where the pallet forks are on my tractor more than the bucket.

I've gone back and forth on the idea of a quick hitch. For now I have a couple harbor freight furniture dollies that I keep my rear implements on. My shop has a smooth concrete floor and it makes aligning implements and attaching them super easy.

I also really appreciate the foot throttle. One huge advantage to the gear drive is doing light work at almost idle RPM and the foot throttle gives the ability to power into a pile of dirt when needed without wearing earplugs to mask the sound of the engine at constant high RPM's.

I think I mentioned my thoughts on the weight previously. Even with my 500lb chipper on the 3PH the back end feels light at times. The pallet forks have the ability to move weight much farther forward amplifying the need for weight.

Glad its working out for you, still surprised that we're the only two with a B2401 on the forum. Did you see the 'kubota vs kubota' video Messicks posted a few weeks ago? it does a pretty good job of showing the true difference in gear vs HST ability to deliver power to the ground.
Yeah I saw that video.

The HST is a much user friendly system so I understand the appeal. I didn't care for the HST whine on the B2301 I was able to test drive but that is a trade off for ease of use. I know it does not bother most or you just wear hearing protection. I like the relative quiet of the manual. My wife can dive the manual just fine though she does struggle a little when doing loader work but that is more lack of experience than ability.

I would be interested to know how many B2401's were brought into the US and Canada this year. They are now back ordered in the US. I was lucky my dealer found one. Being the first year of production I think more will show up on forums in the future. The price point of the B2401 puts it really close to a BX similarly equipped which puts you into a larger machine if you are okay with a manual gearbox.

We have about 50 trees ranging from 4" to 16" that need to be felled once we move to the property full time next year. I thought about building a grapple and still might do but am also thinking about making a quick attach grapple for the bucket. Most grapple work would be moving/loading pine needles, leaves and branches. The bolt on debris forks work well enough but are a little long for loading my utility trailer.

We have two more trips to Oregon planned for this year so I will get to use the tractor a couple more times and then we won't be back at the property until next spring. Can't wait until we are there full time. I am so done with the Bay area.

El Jefe

Equipment
B2401
May 18, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
Yeah I saw that video.

The HST is a much user friendly system so I understand the appeal. I didn't care for the HST whine on the B2301 I was able to test drive but that is a trade off for ease of use. I know it does not bother most or you just wear hearing protection. I like the relative quiet of the manual. My wife can dive the manual just fine though she does struggle a little when doing loader work but that is more lack of experience than ability.

I would be interested to know how many B2401's were brought into the US and Canada this year. They are now back ordered in the US. I was lucky my dealer found one. Being the first year of production I think more will show up on forums in the future. The price point of the B2401 puts it really close to a BX similarly equipped which puts you into a larger machine if you are okay with a manual gearbox.

We have about 50 trees ranging from 4" to 16" that need to be felled once we move to the property full time next year. I thought about building a grapple and still might do but am also thinking about making a quick attach grapple for the bucket. Most grapple work would be moving/loading pine needles, leaves and branches. The bolt on debris forks work well enough but are a little long for loading my utility trailer.

We have two more trips to Oregon planned for this year so I will get to use the tractor a couple more times and then we won't be back at the property until next spring. Can't wait until we are there full time. I am so done with the Bay area.
I completely understand the appeal of the HST, and many of the buyers are first time tractor owners and its much easier to become proficient. For loader work (and I've been doing a ton) you really need to have a good rhythm to be smooth on a non synchro gear trans or it will be a frustrating experience. My wife is completely comfortable driving the B2401 but is slow with the loader and f/r transitions. I think she'd be happier with the HST but shes not the primary operator.

My tree clearing consists of removing close to 100 eucalyptus trees ranging up to 36". I've been amazed at how big a log I can skid with the B2401. I've been dragging the trees out, cutting them in a size that the loader can lift and stacking them up until I have a full load to haul off. Without the grapple I end up getting on and off the tractor constantly. If I had to do it over I'd spend the money on an EA grapple and just sell it when I was done with this project. It would have saved so much time and pain and had the lead time not been so long I probably would have gone against my wife's ruling and bought one anyway.

That stacked pile of logs in the pic below will get loaded into a dumpster with the tractor and I will start the process all over again.

I meant to ask, how do you like the pine straw rake? Did you use it to collect that large pile of leaves? I'm thinking about getting one to pick up leaves from grass and a gravel drive.

Attachments

Last edited:

jbolt001

Equipment
Jul 13, 2020
California / Oregon
Wow! that is a lot of trees. Is there any value in the wood or are you just dumping it? I have seen furniture and flooring made from eucalyptus but not sure from what species. I can see where a grapple would serve you well. Nice property!

The straw rake works awesome. All of thee leaves and pine needles in the photo was raked with it and that is about 1/2 of what we raked and moved that day. I would rake the duff into a clearing and flatten it out then my wife would collect it with an AgriFab sweeper towed behind a riding mower. She would then dump the loads near the pile and I would put the loader back on to consolidate the pile. She is a maniac with the sweeper. I'm sure we are pushing the sweeper to its limits but it does such a great job. Sure beats rakes and wheelbarrows! I have about 30cy of debris to haul off next month. My utility trailer only holds 5cy but should load quickly with the tractor.

Stevebx23s

Equipment
BX23S
Sep 13, 2020
NB, Canada
My dealer delivered my machine today. Really happy with the overall purchase experience with Kubota and the sales guy I worked with.

The B2401 is currently backordered but my dealer went the extra mile and found one at another dealer and did some trading to get it. From order to delivery at my door was 4 weeks.

B2401, LA435 Loader & BB1254 box blade. The box blade was backordered but should be here in 2-3 weeks.

I ordered the tractor with R4 tires but it showed up with R14's and the rears filled with beet juice. They said to run them for a few months and if I want to change them to the R4's no problem.

My first personal tractor. While I would have prefered a larger machine this size is perfect for our property.

My first modification will be adding top and tilt to the three point.

View attachment 46888 View attachment 46889
Congratulations on your B2401. I bought a BX23S in 2018. Absolutely hate the HST whine and the goofy treadle pedal taking up the floor space when I am mowing or anything using constant speed I put it in cruise control.
I also didn’t expect to use my tractor for firewood when I bought it because I had never had a tractor previously and didn’t have any trouble but since owning the BX23S I prefer to skid logs out to a convenient pile near my wood splitter and trailer. Makes for much less lugging junked logs. But the BX has very little clearance in the woods.
Looking at getting a B2401 over the next few months but I notice in the very few pics out there that there isn’t a PTO engagement lever in the same place as the other B01’s. Is there an engagement lever or is it live all the time? Is there is a lever, where is it?

El Jefe

Equipment
B2401
May 18, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
Looking at getting a B2401 over the next few months but I notice in the very few pics out there that there isn’t a PTO engagement lever in the same place as the other B01’s. Is there an engagement lever or is it live all the time? Is there is a lever, where is it?
The B2301/2601 doesn't have a clutch so it needs an 'engagement lever' to operate an electronic clutch. The B2401 has a clutch so it doesn't require an 'engagement lever'. It has a selection lever that can be moved when the clutch is depressed. This lever gives you the option of running the rear PTO at either 540 or 1000 RPM's plus the mid PTO, which is one of my favorite features of this tractor. I run a PTO chipper (that can operate at 540 or 1000 RPM's) and when running small material I run the PTO at the 1000 RPM setting and the engine at 1800-2000 RPM's. The chipper runs faster and the engine runs slower/quieter/burns less fuel.

It is worth noting that the B2401 doesn't have a live PTO. If that's not an issue for you and you like a gear tractor the B2401 is a great little machine.

Attachments

Last edited:

Stevebx23s

Equipment
BX23S
Sep 13, 2020
NB, Canada
The B2301/2601 doesn't have a clutch so it needs an 'engagement lever' to operate an electronic clutch. The B2401 has a clutch so it doesn't require an 'engagement lever'. It has a selection lever that can be moved when the clutch is depressed. This lever gives you the option of running the rear PTO at either 540 or 1000 RPM's plus the mid PTO, which is one of my favorite features of this tractor. I run a PTO chipper (that can operate at 540 or 1000 RPM's) and when running small material I run the PTO at the 1000 RPM setting and the engine at 1800-2000 RPM's. The chipper runs faster and the engine runs slower/quieter/burns less fuel.

It is worth noting that the B2401 doesn't have a live PTO. If that's not an issue for you and you like a gear tractor the B2401 is a great little machine.
Thanks for the info, very interesting. I guess I am still unclear on how to disengage the PTO. Is it always running? If it’s always on how do you deal with a mower or implement that you don’t want to be running while you’re not using it.

El Jefe

Equipment
B2401
May 18, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks for the info, very interesting. I guess I am still unclear on how to disengage the PTO. Is it always running? If it’s always on how do you deal with a mower or implement that you don’t want to be running while you’re not using it.
Look at the picture I attached to my previous post (hint: the PTO is not engaged in this picture). The PTO lever has 3 positions. Rear PTO 540 RPM, PTO disengaged, and rear PTO 1000 RPM+mid PTO 2500 RPM. To disengage the PTO you depress the clutch and move the lever to the mid position that has a picture of the tractor with neither PTO turning.

Stevebx23s

Equipment
BX23S
Sep 13, 2020
NB, Canada
Look at the picture I attached to my previous post (hint: the PTO is not engaged in this picture). The PTO lever has 3 positions. Rear PTO 540 RPM, PTO disengaged, and rear PTO 1000 RPM+mid PTO 2500 RPM. To disengage the PTO you depress the clutch and move the lever to the mid position that has a picture of the tractor with neither PTO turning.
Sorry, I somehow overlooked that middle position.. That really does seem like a great option, light load you can run lower rpms. Thanks very much for the info. Pics are great! Wish there were more out there available online. That was my only hesitation. Now just to wait for one to be available will be the worst part.

jbolt001

Equipment
Jul 13, 2020
California / Oregon
Now just to wait for one to be available will be the worst part.
Good luck with your search. They were back ordered in July when I ordered mine. I was fortunate my dealer was willing to search around and find one at another dealer and do some trading for it. I would like to know how many they have sold in North America so far.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Forget about the tractor. With the price of wood these days there is a gold mine in the background!!

Almost passed out at HD this weekend. 2x4x8 raw, not pressure treated, is $7.08!!!

Stevebx23s

Equipment
BX23S
Sep 13, 2020
NB, Canada
Good luck with your search. They were back ordered in July when I ordered mine. I was fortunate my dealer was willing to search around and find one at another dealer and do some trading for it. I would like to know how many they have sold in North America so far.
Yes, that would be interesting to know. There are three Kubota dealers within an hour from me and none of them are interested in bringing them in unless a deal is made. If that’s the attitude all over NA the sales will be very low I would expect. Many people probably don’t even know it’s an option. The two dealers I approached didn’t even know what I was talking about when I said B2401. They each had to look it up..