An excellent way to spend 20 minutes...

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Dead on.

I was fortunate go attend a new high school on Long Island that had everything.

Part of that everything included an incredible Industrial Arts wing that housed a wood shop, a metal shop, a ceramics shop and an auto shop. I was only there two years but I took as many wood and metal classes as I could. Those classes have given me so many more opportunities and saved me so much money. And, after 45 years of cutting, sawing, ripping and turning, I still have all my fingers. :)

Sadly, I have learned that that school decided during budget cuts to do away with all the industrial arts programs. All the machines were sold off. Its over. That is true for nearly all high school programs. The push is to get all students into college, even if they have to lower standards for them or get them a useless degree. And that shortsightedness is coming back to bite us in the butt.

The education intelligentsia place no value upon manual labor. They never bother to think who they will call when their toilet leaks or why their driveway concrete started crumbling. Trade skills are essential for our modern way of life and we better get smart on the value of trade skills and how that training gets done.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Ccr covered it well.
As an automotive tradesman i know the industry is serving up computer technologists and parts changers. Hand a 30 year old a carburetor and ask him to rebuild it. Or a starter or anything that is repairable. Would rather bolt in a new one.
The ones that are truly passionate about their work can handle anything thats thrown at them. They enjoy it. I enjoy it. Im only limited by the tools avaiable to me.

We still need people to go in the hole to connect the pipes that run water and other stuff.
The rapid advancement of technology is breeding generations of someone else will do it for me-ers. Also known as governance. The department i previously worked for was pretty big on that. So 13 administrators to look after 6 people that did the work-1/2 of which actually worked. We have unions to thank for the other 1/2.

oldrockfan

Equipment
L185DT, 5' brush hog, 5' box blade plus front blade
Jul 3, 2015
fort worth, Texas
I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed watching that video. I totally agree that our society is trying to shame people who do skilled labor and it is a darn shame. I have a college degree and work in a profession where I use my brain instead of my hands. However, the truth is that I prefer getting my hands dirty and working labor tasks and especially when it involves something to do with land. Whether it is digging a pond, grading a trail or just mowing the grass... I love it! Nothing is better than a hot meal and hot shower after a long day of working on the land. Too bad young people today don't feel the same connection to the land.

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed watching that video. I totally agree that our society is trying to shame people who do skilled labor and it is a darn shame. I have a college degree and work in a profession where I use my brain instead of my hands. However, the truth is that I prefer getting my hands dirty and working labor tasks and especially when it involves something to do with land. Whether it is digging a pond, grading a trail or just mowing the grass... I love it! Nothing is better than a hot meal and hot shower after a long day of working on the land. Too bad young people today don't feel the same connection to the land.
X2, my retirement will be working the land full time.