Am I doing something wrong or poor paint job - Kubota

sk123

Equipment
Kubota B3200 FEL w/ B2782A snowblower
Apr 11, 2013
Estevan
Yesterday, I was trying to clean the engine bay of my Kubota B3200.
First, I picked up an air blow gun to blow off the dust on the engine components. My air compressor was at 100-120psi. While I was doing that, I notice a few chunks of paints were blown off the alternator. I was like what's the hell...I did let the air blow gun nose sit close to the engine component surfaces. Am I doing something wrong or is it a poor paint job on engine?

sk123

Equipment
Apr 11, 2013
Estevan
If it is just the air gun blowing the paint off, then the paint did not adhere to the metal, poor paint job ???
Ya, I was think the same thing because you can put the air gun next to your hand and you couldn't feel nothing. But I wanted to confirm with you guys before I did further demage to the paint.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I've never seen paint on an alternator last long on anything. I would imagine that would be a hard device to paint since there is so many moving parts on it that you don't want paint on.

sk123

Equipment
Apr 11, 2013
Estevan
I've never seen paint on an alternator last long on anything. I would imagine that would be a hard device to paint since there is so many moving parts on it that you don't want paint on.
It was the none moving part. The one that is bolted on by to bolts. I was afraid to do more damage so I stopped right after that. I wonder if I would be safe to blow on other engine parts.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Generally the end covers of an alternator are made of aluminum and do not hold paint well. I would not worry about that. I would not expect the paint to peel off of anything else. I use a pressure washer that puts out hundreds of pounds of pressure and have never seen it peel paint.

sk123

Equipment
Apr 11, 2013
Estevan
Generally the end covers of an alternator are made of aluminum and do not hold paint well. I would not worry about that. I would not expect the paint to peel off of anything else. I use a pressure washer that puts out hundreds of pounds of pressure and have never seen it peel paint.
Do you mean the cover of the moving end or non-moving end cover bolted to the engine? Which part is aluminum? Thank you.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Both end bells are made of aluminum; the pieces that hold the bearings of the rotor.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Even though the alternator is bolted in place it still has moving parts. There's a pully a belt goes across and inside has copper and a magnet.

sk123

Equipment
Apr 11, 2013
Estevan
Even though the alternator is bolted in place it still has moving parts. There's a pully a belt goes across and inside has copper and a magnet.
Ya. The part had paint peeled off is aluminum. Just test. Don't know why Kubota would print it. Thank you, Eric.