Alternator / generator not charging

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Soldered connections in high-vibration environments
I've never had this happen in the 1,000s of connections I've made in 5 decades, though I have a 'system'. everything from 22ga to 8ga, zero failures.

1, slide on two pieces of heat shrink(one bigger than the other) onto the wire.
2,strip and tin 3/8" of wire
3,tightly twist and tin the wire
4,trim to fit the connector
5,crimp connector to wire , using quality crimper
6,trim wire if needed, then solder to connector,use right amount of heat and solder(takes some practice)
7,slide smaller heat shrink onto connector and heat,all way round
8,slide bigger heat shink onto connector and heat ,all way round

The 'doubled' heatshrink does 2 things, one,seals the connection between wire and connector and two, mechanically supports the wire/connector joint so vibration is not a failure factor. if there's several wires ,they go into a sleeve ,then cable clamped,usually 1-2" from closest wire.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
re: Soldered connections in high-vibration environments
I've never had this happen in the 1,000s of connections I've made in 5 decades, though I have a 'system'. everything from 22ga to 8ga, zero failures.

1, slide on two pieces of heat shrink(one bigger than the other) onto the wire.
2,strip and tin 3/8" of wire
3,tightly twist and tin the wire
4,trim to fit the connector
5,crimp connector to wire , using quality crimper
6,trim wire if needed, then solder to connector,use right amount of heat and solder(takes some practice)
7,slide smaller heat shrink onto connector and heat,all way round
8,slide bigger heat shink onto connector and heat ,all way round

The 'doubled' heatshrink does 2 things, one,seals the connection between wire and connector and two, mechanically supports the wire/connector joint so vibration is not a failure factor. if there's several wires ,they go into a sleeve ,then cable clamped,usually 1-2" from closest wire.
I think there is a reason you see the connector and crimp specifications listed on Aerospace/Industrial applications for a reason. Crimps hold up better in high vibration environments, that is just a fact. It isn't just the weak point at the point of the solder wick, it is also the heating/cooling-expanding/contracting of dis-similar materials that causes the assembly to fatigue and "cold solder".

Start talking about lubes with my grandfather and he will insist his spit is the best and has worked for 90+ years. I don't ever remember seeing it specified anywhere though.

If you read the tech specs on 3M crimps they specifically say not to heat shrink over the end of crimp connectors because it creates a weak point by not allowing the wire to move. and it puts more force on the "connection". This does not include crimps with heat shrink/adhesive built in, in 3M's case the materials used still allow flexibility. IMHO 3M makes some of the best crimps out there and you see them specified all the time in industrial applications.

JRHill

Equipment
Orange: B7100 Std and Woodmizer; Green/yellow JD Buck, Gator and 410j.
Apr 26, 2016
Wahkiacus, Washington
Soldered connections in high-vibration environments can lead to broken wires because the solder stiffens at the end of the soldered joint..... which is where the wire will break. In aircraft (which also use tinned, stranded, wire... crimped connections are preferred, and mandated in most installations. (High-grade tinned, crimp-connectors and terminals, etc. are used rather than the typical automotive types made of rolled sheet-metal which do not completely surround the wire.)
Aviation-grade wiring also does not use PVC or vinyl insulation...instead using a Mil-Spec polymer termed “Tefzel” which does not attract rodents and does not emit cyanide gas when burned.
We are in an extreme remote area so everything has to be on line. I've struck out every time I look for single conductor, stranded, tinned, Teflon jacketed wire. Marine sources are the closest with all criteria met except for the jacket. Whether for the tractors, A/UTVs, trailers w/receptacles/plugs, all need the same for repairs and mods.

Any hints as to a source for what I want? As you mentioned I learned a long time ago that if the right wire is used the need for repairs goes way down and if needed, repairs on good wire is much easier. Don't need to splurge for multiple colors - there are other ways to solve that issue.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
for wire goto to Digikey(www.digikey.com), search for wire,teflon... you'll get 1300 + single conductor 'hits', then narrow done the search based on wire gauge, etc.
I've ordered from the for decades, can order before 8PM tonight and it'll be here before 5Pm tomorrow ! Not too bad Thief Falls, Mn - > Hamilton,Ontario ! Actually cheaper than local HUGE disti in Toronto.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
We are in an extreme remote area so everything has to be on line. I've struck out every time I look for single conductor, stranded, tinned, Teflon jacketed wire. Marine sources are the closest with all criteria met except for the jacket. Whether for the tractors, A/UTVs, trailers w/receptacles/plugs, all need the same for repairs and mods.

Any hints as to a source for what I want? As you mentioned I learned a long time ago that if the right wire is used the need for repairs goes way down and if needed, repairs on good wire is much easier. Don't need to splurge for multiple colors - there are other ways to solve that issue.
Aircraft Spruce is a good aircraft supplies shop that has an online catalog: AircraftSpruce.com
Here’s a direct link to their unshielded wire selections: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/unshieldlwire.php