Almost ready to pull trigger?!?

DGB

Mar 6, 2014
vicksburg, ms
New to the forum and have been wanting to upgrade from my 1952 8N. With the new emmissions tractors coming on and the shortage of "regular" tractors, need to decide between a L3200, 4WD, HST and FEL with pin on bucket versus a L3800, 4WD, gear drive transmission, and pin on bucket. Having a hard time justifying either but just want one. I have a little less than 2 acres. I will be cutting 6-8 large oaks in yard soon either tractor will be helpful to pile, burn, dispose of, ... . I do have some dirt work to do in yard but not a lot. Don't envision getting into a lot of dirt work with repetitive motion. I hunt and do bushhog roads at the camp every year. May be able to do a little road work with a FEL. Just curious what y'all's opinion would be as to which tractor to go with. L3800 price quoted to be $400 more than L3200. Thanks in advance for your time and comments!!

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
I wouldn't be without an hst. That seems like the biggest decision. A few ponies difference, but doesn't matter a ton, in MY opinion.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Woody Martin

Equipment
2013 L3200 HST, 66" Loader, R-4's, L/P 1672 , L/P Box grader, L/P 1572 Rear Blad
Apr 24, 2014
Brazil, Indiana
New to the forum and have been wanting to upgrade from my 1952 8N. With the new emmissions tractors coming on and the shortage of "regular" tractors, need to decide between a L3200, 4WD, HST and FEL with pin on bucket versus a L3800, 4WD, gear drive transmission, and pin on bucket. Having a hard time justifying either but just want one. I have a little less than 2 acres. I will be cutting 6-8 large oaks in yard soon either tractor will be helpful to pile, burn, dispose of, ... . I do have some dirt work to do in yard but not a lot. Don't envision getting into a lot of dirt work with repetitive motion. I hunt and do bushhog roads at the camp every year. May be able to do a little road work with a FEL. Just curious what y'all's opinion would be as to which tractor to go with. L3800 price quoted to be $400 more than L3200. Thanks in advance for your time and comments!!
I have a L3200 HST. 66" Quick detach front bucket, R4 tires for 13 acres. Make sure that you get the 66" bucket so that you can cover your tire tracks when back dragging. I looked at the 3800 but the 3200 was best for me. I think the L3200 will be a wise choice and make a good fit. Plenty of power. Your main choice will have to be the tires for the ground that you are working on.

DGB

Mar 6, 2014
vicksburg, ms
Both tractors have ag tires. I have been under the impression that the R4's lose traction before the ag tires. I am assuming this happens wet or dry. Soils here are mostly silt loam. I really don't plan to work when yard or woods are wet.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I would not hesitate to pull the trigger! I came from the 53 Jubilee world, sold that ol girl and went orange............wow, cannot describe the difference.........true one was $3000 and the other $20,000, but dayum, steering with the pinky, and HST......I would NEVER go back to gear driven, however..........those gearshifters have their points..............but DO not hesitate to pull the trigger.....make them payments, smile and keep making progress!!

kc8fbl

Equipment
2014 L3200 HST FEL, 1949 Minneapolis-Moline R
Aug 23, 2012
Gobles, MI
I have an L3200 HST with 66 inch quick attach bucket and R4 tires. I use mine to mow the yard mainly and have just 2 acres. It is a very nice tractor and glad I have it. The HST in L3200 has live PTO where the gear tranny one does not. The L3800 gear drive has a 2 stage clutch. Either tractor you decide on would be an excellent choice! Good luck with your decision!

MikeCHS

Equipment
Kubota L3200 HST
Both of those are a lot of tractor for two acres. i would consider something in the B lineup
I use my Troybilt rider for the acre and a half around the house but bought the L3200 last month for the 13 acres of overgrown pasture. I have some hills so steep that I can only cut down hill but that little tractor runs as I expected.

I got most of my info from this forum before buying so a belated Thank You is given. :)

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I'd also consider a B. Once the oaks are gone, I'd imagine you'll think about a MMM. The B is all set up for it. According to the Kubota web site, you can get a 2920 with a MMM and canopy for the price of the L3200. I guess it depends on the dealer.
The two speed PTO is really handy for tilling, etc.

DGB

Mar 6, 2014
vicksburg, ms
Pulled the trigger this morning. Got a L3200, 4wd, HST, FEL with quick attach bucket, ag tires on the way. Should be here Tuesday evening. Ready for it to get here so I can play!!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Pulled the trigger this morning. Got a L3200, 4wd, HST, FEL with quick attach bucket, ag tires on the way. Should be here Tuesday evening. Ready for it to get here so I can play!!

Never look back !
You gonna have more fun than you can imagine, and kick yourself later for not getting it sooner!:D

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
Congrats! I have the L3200 HST, love it. I only have a couple acres at home, but maintain a 1/4 mile long road and use it at camp. What a great machine. You will love it.

Woody Martin

Equipment
2013 L3200 HST, 66" Loader, R-4's, L/P 1672 , L/P Box grader, L/P 1572 Rear Blad
Apr 24, 2014
Brazil, Indiana
Glad to hear it DGB. I am quite happy with mine. I don't understand the type of soil that you have but you know what you need. The R-4 tires only gave me a problem once and it was because I put it in a place where I shouldn't have. Early spring, field water run off, flat soft MUD. However, slipped it into 4x4, and it crawled right out of it. Enjoy.

kc8fbl

Equipment
2014 L3200 HST FEL, 1949 Minneapolis-Moline R
Aug 23, 2012
Gobles, MI

Congrats on your new tractor! Enjoy working it!

hill5673

Equipment
L3200 HST with FEL
May 17, 2014
CNY
I bought the same tractor yesterday as well. Only difference is I went with the R4s.
Can't wait to put her to work..