Almost (better than??) OEM Remotes

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Its been a while in the making but I am headed down the home stretch. A few odds and ends yet to do and not yet tested under power but I wanted to show it off and get ypur comments. The goal is to find a less expensive alternative to the very pricey OEM remotes for the L01's (and possibly earlier models) while maintaining some semblance of the factory look. This is what I have to date - a manifold block that mounts a quality aftermarket sectional valve stack to the side of the transmission more or less exactly like OEM. Low pressure tank return is through the manifold into the transmission just like OEM and a custom made power beyond block returns pressure to the tractor. The main difference is the handles come out the front rather than on the side. I intend to add a finisher panel around the handles to give it more of a factory look. There is room for at least three and possibly 4 valve sections in this arrangement and lots of valve configuration options. Its also possible that one of the sections could be solenoid actuated for use as a third function eliminating that wart on the side of the loader. I have already posted pictures of the rear outlets but I have included one here for completeness. Comments, critiques, and suggestions welcome.

Dan

Base Kit with the first valve

20211029_125521[1].jpg

20211029_125926[1].jpg

Single Valve mounted on my L3901

20211029_134103[1].jpg

20211029_134126[1].jpg

The remote outlets

20211029_134332[1].jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
I like it. (y) It will be great to actually have some good Bucher valves on the tractor mounted down low.
Interested in how all the control levers get finished off. That in itself will take some thought.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I like it. (y) It will be great to actually have some good Bucher valves on the tractor mounted down low.
Interested in how all the control levers get finished off. That in itself will take some thought.
Thanks!! I like those valves a lot -inexpensive and compact. Hope to get everything plumbed and operational this week with the handle(s) coming out the front. Need to make a little riser to get them up clear of the panel. I am open to other ideas.

Dan

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
I don't know how ergonomic having the control levers down that low will be.

Seems like they may need to be several inches higher? Like at least seat height?

I don't know without sitting in the seat, just guessing.

I like the whole overall idea though. :cool:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

Seems like they may need to be several inches higher? Like at least seat height?

As shown in the picture they are not even functional - too low to clear the sheet metal panel. I will raise them at least 2 inches. Ford used this placement on thier tractors for several decades. Of course they also eventually went out of the tractor business o_O

Dan

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
My only complaint about my OEM remotes is they don't offer a locking always-on detent for attachments that need continuous flow. I'd prefer that over the float detent on all three.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
My only complaint about my OEM remotes is they don't offer a locking always-on detent for attachments that need continuous flow. I'd prefer that over the float detent on all three.
What model tractor? That option is available on the L01 remotes from Kubota as well as these valves.

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
BTW - I opted to add a separate set of continuous flow (power beyond) outlets and a selector valve for that purpose. Less restriction and better flow. I can turn them on and off from the ground or operators' seat and love the convenience and ease of use. That was the first valve added and I have been actively using it for a few weeks now to power my log splitter.

Dan

20210926_125022[1].jpg

Last edited:

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
As shown in the picture they are not even functional - too low to clear the sheet metal panel. I will raise them at least 2 inches. Ford used this placement on thier tractors for several decades. Of course they also eventually went out of the tractor business o_O

Dan
While yes they can be used at a low position, how comfortable would that actually be vs having them up higher. I know that earlier Kioti tractors had the levers come out the front just like yours, but then came straight up where the top of the lever was basically level with the fender at that position.

Attachments

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
While yes they can be used at a low position, how comfortable would that actually be vs having them up higher. I know that earlier Kioti tractors had the levers come out the front just like yours, but then came straight up where the top of the lever was basically level with the fender at that position.
I am not wedded to anything handle related at this moment and once I have a full stack mounted I will play with the options. I have played with a mockup of the current position and it seems fine to me but I am open to any and all ideas. The main problem is lack of space between the position control lever and the seat. It may be possible but its too early to tell. Here is how I put valves on the old Fords.

Dan

IMG_1807.JPG

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
TheOldHokie You have a nice looking set up on those remotes. Did you machine the manifold or did some one else do the manifold. Have been thinking about adding some remotes to my MX-6000 but I had my small Agco for fifteen years and never needed on there. Have plenty other tractors with remotes.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
TheOldHokie You have a nice looking set up on those remotes. Did you machine the manifold or did some one else do the manifold. Have been thinking about adding some remotes to my MX-6000 but I had my small Agco for fifteen years and never needed on there. Have plenty other tractors with remotes.
I designed and machined the manifolds. Nothing too exciting - just a lot time spent getting the dimensions off the valves and the tractor.

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

After several sleepless nights laying in bed thinking about handles (of the hydraulic valve type) I think we have ergonomic lift off. I turned the stack around to point to the rear like the OEM stack and mocked up a very simple handle. I think you are going to like this a lot better - I certainly do!!!

Here is a picture of the valve and handle on the machine. It comes up through the slot in the OEM finisher just like a factory. option. The finisher that comes standard on the tractor only has one slot and the Kubota remote valve kits come with a replacement finisher that has slots for three handles. I don't know what that single slot finisher is for but it isn't the OEM remotes. The good news is Messicks says the 3 slot finisher that comes with the OEM valve kit can be purchased ala carte for a reasonable (by Kubota standards) price. I am going to try and order one to see if that is actually the case.

Reversing the valves is going to require a redesign of the manifolds:

1. Got to move the inlet to the transmission end of the stack and put the outlet on the outboard end
  2. Got to move the entire stack forward to get clearance for the levers and line them up a little better with the slots in the finisher.
  3. Got to make a custom inlet and outlet manifold for the stack to deal with the reversed flow pattern.

No show stoppers there but its going to take a couple weeks of sourcing parts and material, machine time, and test fitting before I am ready to put pressure to it. Assuming this works it will be about as OEM as you can get without writing a check to Kubota. Hopefully the next time I post it will be to show you a full complement of working valves.

I want to thank MountainViewRanch (Brian??) for his gentle prodding. I would have taken the easy way out with the handles coming out the front had it not been for him.

Dan

20211101_155356[1].jpg

20211101_155322[1].jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
This definitely looks interesting! Can't wait to see the final version and pricing.
Its hard to predict the cost but my target setting out was 1/2 or less of OEM and at this juncture I think that is very realistic. I am retired with a nice income so all I try to do is cover my costs and keep the lights and heat on in the shop. Stay tuned for an update and hopefully something new that should make it even more interesting.

PS> I didn't hear anything negative from Messicks on the order for the lever guide plate so hopefully that shows' up in a week or so.

PPS> Just got a tracking number for the bracket while I was typing....

Dan

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Dan Looking forward to see how this all works out. Looks good so far.
After some more time at the drawing board and day making chips here is the revised version. The design uses off the shelf sectional valves from Bucher Hydraulics and a custommade hydraulic manifold to mount them to the side of the tractor in the same fashion as the Kubota remote valve kits.
  1. The valves have been turned to face the rear like OEM and the handles come up through the optional OEM 3 lever remote valve guide bracket ($98 from Kubota).
  2. I had hoped to accommodate a mix of Bucher lever and solenoid sections in the stack but the solenoid sections are too long to fit in the available real estate. So I added a subplate to the top of the manifold for mounting a D03 solenoid valve. These are readily available for $100-$125 and the same as used by Summit, WR Long, Landpride, et. al. in their third function kits. That will get rid of the ugly wart on the side of the loader and make for a cleaner third function installation. The only thing on the loader post will be two hoses or steel lines coming out from under the front of the operators platform and up the post to a bulkhead bracket with two couplers for the third function. Wiring is all confined to the operators station and joystick
A maxed out configuration is three lever operated and one solenoid operated valve all neatly tucked under the seat and out of sight. Lever valve options are single acting with or without detent, double acting with or without detent,, double acting with float detent, and motor spool with or without detent The solenoid valve also has a couple different spool options but double acting spring center is standard for a loader third function. At this point I am ready to claim better then OEM and a lot cheaper.

Still a few minor issues with seat clearance on the solenoid valve to work out but all in all I am satisfied with the fit. Comments please.

Dan

20211115_163809[2].jpg

20211115_163942[1].jpg

20211115_164006[1].jpg

20211115_154836[1].jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user