Almost a real backhoe

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
I don't really want to hear from the safety police, so if you include yourself in that crowd, please don't read this.
While the backhoe on the BX23 is capable of performing a lot of tasks, operating the machine is a royal pain. First, you move the machine to the right location, then dismount and rotate the seat to the backhoe position, get on the seat and lower the stabilizers and complete the work that it can reach, without moving the tractor. Then to move the tractor, do it all in reverse, and then reverse it again to return to backhoe work.
To simplify the whole operation it would be nice to be able to move the tractor when the seat is in the backhoe position. The first involves bypassing the treadle safety switch. In my case, last year I wired in a switch that bypasses all the safety switches. The original intention was to be able to operate the tractor temporarily if some of the safety switches failed. Normally it is in the off position, but now, for backhoe operation it is on. This allows treadle operation in the seat backhoe position. Secondly, you need to be able to operate the treadle from the seat in the backhoe position, and this is the removable hand lever that accomplishes that. It clamps to the treadle with a set screw, and it can rotate to the desired angle, and bend to get good positioning. Now, all the operator has to do is learn to move the tractor with the steering wheel behind his back, and the forward/reverse hand lever at the side. Tried it out this afternoon on a small stump, and grubbing some undergrowth and it sure saves a lot of time.

Attachments

Superjoe83

Equipment
L3901HST
Dec 31, 2019
Oregon City, Oregon
If I'm trenching with my backhoe, and I'm on level ground, I will put the transmission in neutral and use the backhoe to push the tractor away from where I'm digging, then drop the loader bucket and stabilizers down and keep digging, I never have to leave the seat.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I don't care if you put your kid in the driver's seat to move it (if you have one), whatever blows your dress up.

I will say you need to practice your welding technique a bit though.;)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
If I'm trenching with my backhoe, and I'm on level ground, I will put the transmission in neutral and use the backhoe to push the tractor away from where I'm digging, then drop the loader bucket and stabilizers down and keep digging, I never have to leave the seat.
Yup, me too.

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
If your Ok with it so am i. Got a problem with that John Deere seat though.LOL

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
If your Ok with it so am i. Got a problem with that John Deere seat though.LOL
Hey, I don't want to get into trouble on this forum, so I better clarify that this is a generic seat from Princess Auto. The seat that originally comes with the BX23 was designed for a species of human that doesn't exist anymore.