All Ready Looking for Bigger Tractor.....

UnionMan

Equipment
M5-111HDC12, L3800 HST , RTV-X1100C, SCAG TigerCat 61" Kawi FX Motor
Aug 21, 2013
Warrenton, VA
Hi All

Not too long ago last year I became the proud owner of a L3800 and it all ready seems that I want/Need to go bigger. I am finding that I am doing a lot more bush hogging then I had originally planned. I currently have a L3800 with a 5 foot rotary and it isn't able to keep up with the growing grass. I do like how it is able to fit down the center aisle of my barn for convenience but think i need something bigger and able to pull a larger mower.

My local dealer only has newer 60 series grand Ls or 60 M series.

It looks like a dealer further out about an hour and some change away has a couple tractors that interest me. Those being....

MX5100DT
L4740HST Cab
L5740HST Cab

I would love to have a cab tractor but if I look on Kubota's site they have taken all the older models pricing off so I am unsure what kinda MSRP numbers they are. Can anyone help out with the normal out the door cost for these machines. Also what the rated rotary cutter is for each??

Right now I own my L3800 free and clear and would like to add to it instead of trading/selling it. Possibly Finance a new one.

What are everyone's opinions on these models capabilities when it comes to mowing and price?

UnionMan

UnionMan

Equipment
Aug 21, 2013
Warrenton, VA
We'll. gave them a call this morning. I guess they don't update their current inventory list too often on their we page. They do have a mX5100 but it's a HST. So looks like I'm back to the drawing board. He did suggest a M7060HD for $36k but since this is a newer model I'm gonna do some more research.

I also found a used M7040HDC Cab with only a couple hundered hours on CL for $36k. But I talked to the guy who seems to be a broker and has a bunch of tractors on CL. I didn't get that warm fuzzy feeling from the guy and he was very cocky and didn't want to answer to many questions like I was wasting his time.

Once again. Back to the drawing board.

UnionMan

Last edited:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
So you don't want an HST? For an open station, I think the MX5100 is a good value. I can't run open station, so we have an L5740 HSTC and M8540HDC.

UnionMan

Equipment
Aug 21, 2013
Warrenton, VA
TripleR - right now I have HST on my L3800. It's a love hate kinda thing. I love the convenience of HST while doing loader work but when bush hogging the constant whine noise is even heard while wearing hearing protection.

In a perfect world with money of no option I would have a 100hp cab tractor with a FEL. Good condition used tractors aren't easy to come by.

I am looking for a tractor that is capable of pulling a 12' plus bat wing. I would also like to get a cab as well but it seems getting both a large tractor and cab puts a big sticker price on the tractor. After tailing to one of the salesman he said the smallest he recommends is a M7060 which of course he has in stock.

So if I were to want a tractor to pull a bat wing bush hog what would everyone's recommendation be. I have just under 50 acres of pasture but it's not hay grade grass. And I'm just looking to keep it down and cut once and awhile without taking months to do it with the L3800.

UnionMan

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
One of those "it depends"; lots of variables. Land Pride makes an RC2512 for compact tractors such as my L5740, but it only cuts 1 1/2" diameter stuff, so it would be OK for grass and light brush.

My L5740 will power a pretty good sized cutter, but will get bounced around quite a bit. I use a Land Pride RCR2672 which works well, cab helps with hydro whine.

The M7060 with 12/12 hydraulic shuttle would be a good size for most, but we tried a 70 HP and it didn't do well in our hills, so we traded it in for an 80 HP tractor Case CX80. We replaced it a few years ago with our M8540 and use a Woods DS1260 10'6" pull type on a 90 acre farm and it will cover a lot of ground as we can go pretty fast. We've never felt the need for a bigger cutter.

Our renter uses a 15' Woods on his farms, but it just is not for us.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I'm kind of in the same spot. I bought a L3800DT because I liked the size and I could pay for it out right, got a great deal also @ 15K.

I love the L3800 & will not get rid of it! But we have 400 acres and I'm mowing more than I had planned. This tractor will pull a 6 foot rotary very well BTW (just a thought).

I was leaning hard toward a MX5100DT and still am, but looked at a M5640 a while back and I think I'm in love. The MX is very hard to beat for the $, but the larger front tires and higher ground clearance of the M is impressive!

What ever I get will not have a HST though. :cool:

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I'm kind of in the same spot. I bought a L3800DT because I liked the size and I could pay for it out right, got a great deal also @ 15K.

I love the L3800 & will not get rid of it! But we have 400 acres and I'm mowing more than I had planned. This tractor will pull a 6 foot rotary very well BTW (just a thought).

I was leaning hard toward a MX5100DT and still am, but looked at a M5640 a while back and I think I'm in love. The MX is very hard to beat for the $, but the larger front tires and higher ground clearance of the M is impressive!

What ever I get will not have a HST though. :cool:
I truly love my L5740 and really like the MX5100, but feel the M Series is the ideal companion tractor to an L, GL or even MX. Once you spend a full day mowing with an M, you will be hooked.

The hydraulic shuttle-shift is great for loader work as well as everything else. My sons and I often use the tractors together and they can keep up with the HST doing anything.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I truly love my L5740 and really like the MX5100, but feel the M Series is the ideal companion tractor to an L, GL or even MX. Once you spend a full day mowing with an M, you will be hooked.

The hydraulic shuttle-shift is great for loader work as well as everything else. My sons and I often use the tractors together and they can keep up with the HST doing anything.
I'm with ya man, the mass & weight of the M is also pretty impressive. Also notice how huge the front axle is on the M. :eek:

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Yep, hard to beat the M Series when you absolutely, positively have to...

Attachments

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
For what you want to do, I'd get a 6 or 7 foot brush hog, and put a couple of self powered 4' offset rotary satellites behind it - they run about $2K each at the Big R, and are heavily built. You are only planning on using this 3-4 times a year; they should all last a lifetime. And you save about $30K!! Offer the neighbor kid $150 to mow it, and you have 50 years worth of mowing. Let him worry about the noise and sun. Problem solved.

Last edited:

UnionMan

Equipment
Aug 21, 2013
Warrenton, VA
One of those "it depends"; lots of variables. Land Pride makes an RC2512 for compact tractors such as my L5740, but it only cuts 1 1/2" diameter stuff, so it would be OK for grass and light brush.

My L5740 will power a pretty good sized cutter, but will get bounced around quite a bit. I use a Land Pride RCR2672 which works well, cab helps with hydro whine.

The M7060 with 12/12 hydraulic shuttle would be a good size for most, but we tried a 70 HP and it didn't do well in our hills, so we traded it in for an 80 HP tractor Case CX80. We replaced it a few years ago with our M8540 and use a Woods DS1260 10'6" pull type on a 90 acre farm and it will cover a lot of ground as we can go pretty fast. We've never felt the need for a bigger cutter.

Our renter uses a 15' Woods on his farms, but it just is not for us.
Well the salesman I talked to said he would reccomend the M7060HD with a RC2512 cutter. The tractor was $36k and wants $11k for the cutter. The MX5100 he has in stock is a HST which I dont really want another, unless maybe I can try one out with a Cab and see if it makes a difference.

I would really like to hold on to my L3800 as well instead of selling/trade in. Right now Im keeping an eye out for used tracotrs in the are and see what I can find.