Air filter service light issue?

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Started the L3010 for the first time in a couple weeks and the air filter light came on in the center of the console display. Only a few hours since full service including new air filters.
I pulled both primary and secondary filters. They look new but I blew them off with air hose and reinstalled. Light was still on. I let it run a little while and it went off then later came on when idling before going off again.
I plan on picking up new filters anyway but wondered if anybody had anyy ideas. Sensor issue maybe?

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
If you have an inner and outer filter. Perhaps pull one of the two off and see if the behavior changes. Obviously dont go throw the tractor in dusty conditions during that test but just to see if it is indeed not getting proper air flow.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I think your sensor is doing exactly what is was designed to do which was to sense a restriction caused by the filters. Such differential pressure switches are used on lots of air moving equipment and have always been much more accurate than someone's visual exam.

If you don't trust the switch, buy a piece of clear plastic tubing. Get a tube which will tightly fit into the hole where the sensor was removed. If this is a large hole, just leave the sensor installed and drill a hole to fit a 1/8" tubing adjacent to the sensor Size the holes so the plastic tubing is a snug fit in the hole. Add a bit of water with food dye into the tube which you droop down into a U shape.

Start the engine. The water level in the U shaped clear tubing will be high in one leg of the U and low in the other leg. Using a simple ruler measure the difference in fluid levels in each leg. That measurement is your pressure drop through the filter in inches of water.

The switch turns on with a difference in pressure of 635 mm of water which is 25" of water.

Your U shaped tube must be long enough to deal with a difference in water height in each leg of over 25"

forum L3010 filter sensor 1.jpg

forum L3010 filter sensor a.jpg

The dimension H will be 25" if the light is turning on and the switch is operating properly.

Dave

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
A simpler test would be to remove the tube from the sensor and start the engine. Run the engine at your usual working rpm. The light should be out. If it is the sensor is good.
Place the tube against the palm of you hand. You should feel no suction if the filter is clear. If you feel a lot of suction, your filters are clogged and need to be replaced.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
A simpler test would be to remove the tube from the sensor and start the engine. Run the engine at your usual working rpm. The light should be out. If it is the sensor is good.
Place the tube against the palm of you hand. You should feel no suction if the filter is clear. If you feel a lot of suction, your filters are clogged and need to be replaced.
Is not part of the Owner's problem to determine if the sensor is working properly so should it come on in the future he would know if it should be respected.

An alternative to the simple manometer would be to connect a Mityvac hand vacuum pump to the sensor nose and have a multi meter monitoring the contacts. Decrease the vacuum until the multi meter shows continuity. If this happens at 635 mm water your sensor is working properly.

Dave

Reactions: 1 user

Kingcreek

Equipment
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
It came on today when I turned the key before starting. I moved it to a clean open area and removed both filters. It stayed on. I replaced filters and ran it some. After 5 minutes it flickered off and on a few times then stayed off. Parked it in the shade. Will try again later.
Filters look clean and have only about 5 hours on them.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
King - -

Dave_eng has a lot more knowledge about the electrical side of how these sensors work.

I've run into several issues with my temperature sending unit. The sending unit is working properly....just a poor connection.

Clean the spade fittings and all has worked well for me.

Like Dave said, you need to assume the sensor is working properly unless and until you can prove otherwise. I do the same for my temperature sensor. Too much to risk to just think "ahhh..it's just not working right..." especially when the dash is reading HOT....

A little time with an old toothbrush or similar, and some dielectric grease can help....sometimes....

Kingcreek

Equipment
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Well I have not had the light come on since my last post. If it happens again, I’ll try cleaning the contacts.

Rusty Rooster

Equipment
M5 111, L3010, SVL 90-2
Aug 2, 2021
MD EASTERN SHORE
Started the L3010 for the first time in a couple weeks and the air filter light came on in the center of the console display. Only a few hours since full service including new air filters.
I pulled both primary and secondary filters. They look new but I blew them off with air hose and reinstalled. Light was still on. I let it run a little while and it went off then later came on when idling before going off again.
I plan on picking up new filters anyway but wondered if anybody had anyy ideas. Sensor issue maybe?
I had the same exact issue with my l3010. It was the switch on the air filter housing. I replaced the switch and haven't had any further issues. I'm not sure if this is a normally open normally closed switch. You should be able to check it with an ohmmeter.