Air filter constantly loosens

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
The tractor is a BX23 TLB 2004. I have replaced the metal "strap" fittings (formal name on part list is "stay") that attach the air filter to the engine. One was broken when I purchased the tractor. Someone apparently had tried to solder it, but it wouldn't hold.

So, after replacing the broken strap, the air filter seemed to be solidly in place. But, after a minimal amount of use...maybe 4 or 5 hours...the straps are loose again and the air filter is wobbling. Because the entire engine actually vibrates quite a bit that may be the cause for the continuous loosening.

Is there a solution for this...or do I just need to remember to check the air filter stays before each use?

Tractor Gal

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Something has to maintain tension or compression, or friction. Jam nut, safety wire, cams... Maybe a picture would help us.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I had replaced my brackets several times on my old BX23. It was a piss-poor design. :mad: And you are correct, that engine shakes like crazy, especially at idle and when shut down.

I finally gave up and just used a rubber bungee. The bungee held for many years after. My advice, get some bungee's and never worry about it again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I had replaced my brackets several times on my old BX23. It was a piss-poor design. :mad: And you are correct, that engine shakes like crazy, especially at idle and when shut down.

I finally gave up and just used a rubber bungee. The bungee held for many years after. My advice, get some bungee's and never worry about it again.
After a couple of fixes that broke again, I bent the ends of the broken strap into a J shape kind of, and used strip of rubber cut from a bicycle inner tube to pull them tight. Been like that for years now...

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Looks like this is a common problem! Good to know. But, I checked the motor mounts anyway and they are all in place. If they weren't, I'm not sure that I could get that engine lifted enough to replace them anyway! :) I'll have to be on the lookout for some good bungees. Life is good.

TG