AGM Battery? Is it worth it?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Heading into 9 years with the BX2360. Original battery, and looking to replace it before snow flies.

it’s kept on a battery maintainer most of the time

No issues, but it’s my snowblower machine. Don’t want a surprise in January with 24” on the ground.

It’s a simple 26R battery. Is something like an AGM worth it, or stick with typical lead acid? (I’ve gotten 9 years out of OEM lead acid…)

Honestly, not sure if there is an AGM option for a 26R….haven’t started looking yet.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Probably not worth the extra effort. Lead acid battery will work OK from an alternator and simple regulator. AGM is more fussy, and typically uses a three-stage charger at different charge voltages.

I have AGM batteries not in a vehicular application and they have a charging regulator that is programmed.

There are a few AGM regulators for aircraft that work from an alternator. Expensive for just a regulator. But I haven't looked for a vehicular regulator for 12v or 24v.

Jhilde

Equipment
B2650
Apr 26, 2021
Saskatchewan
I replaced the battery in my airplane with a new AGM this spring and so far im not impressed. It doesn't seem to hold a charge when not being used for long periods of time. For a tractor I would just purchase a cheap lead acid.

MOTOROLANUT

Equipment
Grand L4240, LA854 FEL
Apr 25, 2021
West Virginia
I use Odyssey AGMs. Will probably never buy a conventional lead acid battery again. I enjoy the robustness of the metal cases and being vibration/spill proof. That being said, increased cost is a factor, having a smart charger/maintainer is necessary. Also they do NOT like low charges. All in all it really depends on the application. When the time comes I will purchase one for my tractor.

Keep in mind there are few battery manufactures, I think Johnson Controls is one of the biggeest that private labels for many.

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
As far as I know, the advantage of an AGM over a simple lead acid battery is that an AGM will not spill if it tips over. That is a good thing for motorcycles and airplanes, but should not be necessary for a tractor.

MOTOROLANUT

Equipment
Grand L4240, LA854 FEL
Apr 25, 2021
West Virginia
As far as I know, the advantage of an AGM over a simple lead acid battery is that an AGM will not spill if it tips over. That is a good thing for motorcycles and airplanes, but should not be necessary for a tractor.
Correct and they usually withstand heavy duty vibration better. Great for generators, lawn mowers, motorcycles, ATVs and UTVs.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
If your original Lead-Acid battery lasted 9 years, why not stick with what works?

You already are doing all the right things to keep LA battery happy by using maintainer. There is no reason to believe that AGM would last any longer than LA battery.

Are you aware that LA battery, by its very design, has better capability to crank a diesel engine when compared with AGM? (AGM has lower ability to chemically convert electrolyte into electrons due to the electrolyte being 'absorbed' rather than liquid sulfuric acid)

AGMs are better suited for lower-current applications. This is why AGM batteries are used for emergency fire-lights, Uninterruptible Power Supplies, solar storage....etc. There is no need for HUGE release of current with these applications. (Engine Starting)

For me, there are better things for me to spend my money on than an overpriced battery which will NOT last any longer nor be as well suited for the job of starting diesel engine.

One caveat: Purchase a QUALITY LA battery..... cheep ones may be the same physical size, but weigh significantly less. (less lead, lower vibration resistance...etc) Do not purchase based on the highest "CCA" rating. I prefer "INTERSTATE batteries" for every machine I own.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I know 9 years has to probably be near the lifespan of your battery, but you could just keep it and invest in a good Lithium jump box in case your battery does decide to let you down when winter gets here.

I bought one and it is a game changer for me. Small and light and easily transportable. I have a 2000 amp NOCO.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Forgettaboutit….. An atomic-reactor is what you need…… spend more money and get online and tell everybody how good you did….

If ANYONE can tell me that THEY will STILL BE HERE in NINE YEARS….then buy something ”better” than what always works as it should for NINE YEARS.

I’ve got two AGMs and 11 Lead Acids in the vehicles around my place. They are ALL on proper maintainers…and all but one of the lead-acids have outlasted TWO (double) AGM replacements over the last ten years. (The AGMs are in my airplanes and are the most troublesome of any of them.…. three cars, two trucks, a tractor, a compactor, a boat, two airplanes, a ”lawn-tractor” and two generators.

I don’t know ”why” humans have to feel they’ve done a “one-up-manship” over other unknown people on the internet who make wild unprovable claims. A lead-acid has done a great job for 9-years…
what ”better” performance can you want?

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I only buy AGM now. Tractor, boats, cars…whatever. If you have ever had a battery tip over (boat) or spill acid you will learn that the hassle is not worth it. Besides, the new good AGMs last longer (in my experience)and hold a charge better…

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
If you have ever had a battery tip over (boat) or spill acid you will learn that the hassle is not worth it.
My wife works at WallyMart.... she observed a customer with car-battery at self-checkout.... the gentelman TURNED THE BATTERY UPSIDE DOWN to scan it. By the time my wife realized what he was doing, it was too late.

The acid which entered the self-scanning machine caused enough damage to take it offline for 2 weeks!!

I wonder if this is one reason Home Depot uses HAND scanners at the self-checkouts.... no need to turn a gallon of paint over and risk the lid coming off. It is also easier to scan lumber by hand.

• Wow

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Sounds like a good LA is the way to go. Had no idea an AGM could be finicky with a charge/charger

I haven’t shopped anything yet but wanted to check. I’m far from keeping up with modern technology. Much appreciate the inputs.

Heck, 9 years on this one; I got 11 out of a battery in my Harley-Davidson…..

Last edited:

Frankb

Equipment
Kubota B2601, FEL, Backhoe, Belly Mower, Grapple, Rear Scrape Blade
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Just bought the AGM for my Kawasaki 360 Prairie we run around here in the woods. Got it at Sams Club this morning.
Came with a 6 mo guarantee. I am good until January at least! A little pricey. The guy said if I have any trouble or change my mind to just bring it back. I think it's a keeper for now.

Dwight Bremer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4060 HSTC, LA805, L2195A, BH92, .5TBB, PF, 12K TAT,
May 16, 2021
Hardwick, MN
I have always used AGMs (since they became available) in my boats. Two trolling motor batteries and a starter battery in each boat. After getting a new boat the old boats have remained in the family so I have long term data on the batteries. All lasted beyond 12 years when the boats finally left family and I couldn't follow their performance, anymore. The AGMs were all managed by onboard chargers.

Everything else is in the fleet is on LAs with maintainers, unless they are in use. The cost/performance ratio on a quality LA is much better than the AGMs. For most non-marine or non-high performance environments (like a tractor) the LA is the way to go in my opinion. 9 year life on an LA is extremely good!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
This is a childs-logic resolution….don’t turn your batteries upside-down. Doh.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
If a lead acid battery doesnt have removable caps to allow water additions what type of battery is it?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Truly NON user serviciable lead acid. So called 'maintenance free'.popular since the Diehard days.
There's actually a vent(ALL batteries do) but NO 'caps' for us to check the electrolyte level, specific gravity or 'top up as required with distilled water'.
All battery type have a specific charging method and if you can follow that they will last a lot longer. In '84 I used Gate SLA batteries (used in USN nuke subs...) in my remote energy control systms,not that bad a price , GREAT specs, got 18 years out of one set using the PROPER charging method.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If your original Lead-Acid battery lasted 9 years, why not stick with what works?
My ZTR battery lasted 9 years. I went to the dealer and bought another Kubota battery to replace it. The good news is that K battery was the cheapest option for me. I felt like I won the lottery!

These days I'm surprised to see car batteries more than 5 or 6 years old. My experience is that AGM batteries last longer but it doesn't always make the price difference worth it. If it costs 2x as much does it last more than 2x longer than the standard battery?

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
If a lead acid battery doesnt have removable caps to allow water additions what type of battery is it?
SLA = Sealed Lead Acid

Just for completeness of this discussion.... there is also "GELL CELL" where the electrolyte is in the form of jelly. (kinda like a hybred of LA and AGM)

Some batteries have a "recombination" feature wheras the Oxygen/Hydrogen which is generated during charging is 'recombined' to help regenerate the Sulfuric acid. (instead of losing electrolyte every time it is charged)

Last edited:

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
AGM for the motorcycle and regular non-maintenance SLA's for the Kubota stuff