Aerator Alternative

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Just finished a new house build. Total area that was graded is about an acre. Last fall I tilled the area after the initial grading and seeded KY 31 fescue and this past February frost seeded Ladino clover into the same area. The soil in this area now is very compacted. While the KY 31 fescue did OK though early summer it has now all but died out. Surprisingly the clover did OK but I've got a lot of bare spots and the soil is highly compacted even where the clover survived. I'm out in the country so not looking for a country club lawn but need to a game plan to reseed in September. The deer love the clover and I enjoy watching the deer every afternoon so am going to convert the area to primarily Ladino clover.

I can't afford to spend $2k on a quality 3 point core aerator and am concerned that spending $250-$300 on one of these cheaper tow behind core aerators will just be a waist of money (maybe not??) I'm looking for a way to break up the soil while not killing the frost seeded clover that has survived and yet break up the soil enough to be able to reseed next month.

I had this idea and may be a silly one to lower the scarifiers on my box blade, break up the compacted soil, fertilize, over seed Ladino clover and then drag the area with a homemade chainlink drag to cover the seed. Is breaking up the ground with the scarifiers on the box blade worth the try? The other thought was to use the tiller on the tractor and just barely nick the ground but I'm concerned this approach will kill the clover that has survived. Thoughts.....suggestions much appreciated???

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
How about a disk harrow set to the bare minimum angle of attack? This would cut slits in the turf to ease the compaction but not tear the heck out of it. I think the scarifiers would rip out everything in clumps.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Don't have access to a disc. Good idea though. Agri-Fab makes a 48" tow behind core aerator that you can put cinder blocks on to weight it down. $275 ish but something tells me in a year or two I might be thinking, "boy.....that was a waste of $. Thought about renting one of those push aerators but my back is bad shape and with about an acre to cover not so sure that would be advisable.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
any local rental places have areators ? maybe a lawn mtce company ? I have no idea what they charge but it might be an option..pay someone else to go 'round and round'.....

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Why not call a company that specializes in turf maintenance and see what they say. Maybe cheaper to pay them and get it over with. Folks that like to do things themselves, myself included , sometimes overthink things. Thats what I would do. Landscapers and turf guys are everywhere in my neighborhood except in my yard. It cant be that expensive.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
I have had compacted clay soil around the house after having it built a couple of years ago. Nothing but weeds, crabgrass, foxtail last year after planting grass. Ground was too hard for turf grasses. I put about ~360 lbs of SoftCal Pellets around the house starting last fall and again in last February. Grass is filling in nicely this season.

Attachments

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Thanks for the input. I'll see what I can figure out to break up the concrete a tad to overseed. The softcal gypsum pellets looks interesting. Will have to see the cost and amount needed to cover about an acre. Probably going to be a multi year process to recondition the soil.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Look into what a sub soiler plow does (examples here)
(Not the chisel plow)

Just run it a few inches deep a couple feet apart then apply amendment heavy in slit area. Next year move over 1 foot or turn 90 degrees.
Maybe able to repeat 2-3 times in a year?

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I think you need to improve the soil that you want to become your yard. It sounds like you need to add some organic material to the soil. Chopped up tree leaves, grass clippings, horse manure, stall shavings etc. Whatever you can get a hold of for cheap. You might want to add some sand also.

Start a compost pile and keep adding to it. Then spread the compost over the lawn.

Just running an aerator over the hard packed soil will not improve the soil as it will just repack itself.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Yes, this is the plan. It will take several years. I've got PH levels ideal over the past 12 months as a first step but still a long way from the finish line! My yard is actually right at 5 acres. 4 those acres are in great shape but the graders did a number on the acre they disturbed around the new house!

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Yes, this is the plan. It will take several years. I've got PH levels ideal over the past 12 months as a first step but still a long way from the finish line! My yard is actually right at 5 acres. 4 those acres are in great shape but the graders did a number on the acre they disturbed around the new house!
Exactly the same thing happened here. Had some low quality topsoil brought in and compacted well. The guy doing it used a Harley rake before seeding, but it turned back into clay.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I have to agree you NEED 'compost' and LOTS of it. The difference will be amazing. Wife's veggie patch (1/2ac), I've added everything organic to it ,the past 15 years.. horse pucks/shavings,leaves,grass,kitchen waste,mushroom compost, chicken manure,drywall. Compost pile is about 14-20 cuyds, gets turned every month or so. I can pull the subsoiler 2.5' deep, in 2nd gear ,high range with the D-14. In neighbour's new garden(was oats-beans-corn..forever...) , tractor NOT happy,even in 1st,low range ! Notill might be a cheap way to farm ,but it's murder on the soil !

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Subsoiler / ripper is what you need, then disc, then if you have access to or can rent a power rake level to your desired grade. Check the Heavy Hitch web site, they offer a three point hitches that allows for different functions. I use their ripper insert with the 28" shank.

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
IMG_0185.jpg

Built my own using 2 hot water tanks and welding 3" alternating spikes over the tanks. Can be loaded with as much water as you desire. Works great and I built it for less than $50 bucks.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Ingenuity..........that's great. Lots of good ideas. I'm in farm / ag country so maybe I can find bulk gypsum instead of buying 40 or 50 bags.