Advice on Purchasing G1800

GreentoOrange

Equipment
Deere 4300, X320
Mar 2, 2020
Gordonsville
First-time poster here. Thanks for having me.
I have 3 Deere units, including two lawn tractors, the X320 and X300. Because of their weakass Tuff Tork trannys, im afraid to buy another Deere. No worries, ive always wanted to join the Orange family. And im looking at a G1800 with a 54Â***8221; deck and just under 1500 hours for $1600. i think its a 2001 since serial number begins with a 1.
Unfortunately im not buying from the original owner, but from a guy who bought to sell, who says the unit is in excellent shape, well maintained with records. I have not seen unit in person yet. i will tomorrow. ive seen photos and it looks good. He sent me a video. Can i post a video here? in it heard a slight whining when he accelerated forward and back. it sounded like it eased a little as he drove. it certainly is not as bad as what i've heard in a deere, but it was there. Yet my ears could be highly sensitive to that horrible money-costing sound from my past. im lookimg for some advice. is this a good deal? unlike my deeres where itÂ***8217;s very difficult to even change the hydro fluid, i known the Kubotas are far more maintenance friendly. does the fluid and filter change make a big difference? are their any tests i can use when i see the unit? any input is welcome. thanks in advance

Last edited:

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
First-time poster here. Thanks for having me.
I have 3 Deere units, including two lawn tractors, the X320 and X300. Because of their weakass Tuff Tork trannys, im afraid to buy another Deere. No worries, ive always wanted to join the Orange family. And im looking at a G1800 with a 54Â***8221; deck and just under 1500 hours for $1600. i think its a 2001 since serial number begins with a 1.
Unfortunately im not buying from the original owner, but from a guy who bought to sell, who says the unit is in excellent shape, well maintained with records. I have not seen unit in person yet. i will tomorrow. ive seen photos and it looks good. He sent me a video. Can i post a video here? in it heard a slight whining when he accelerated forward and back. it sounded like it eased a little as he drove. it certainly is not as bad as what i've heard in a deere, but it was there. Yet my ears could be highly sensitive to that horrible money-costing sound from my past. im lookimg for some advice. is this a good deal? unlike my deeres where itÂ***8217;s very difficult to even change the hydro fluid, i known the Kubotas are far more maintenance friendly. does the fluid and filter change make a big difference? are their any tests i can use when i see the unit? any input is welcome. thanks in advance
Welcome to the forums!

In our area that would be a "fair" price. Not good or bad. They do tend to vary a lot based on location.

See if you can post the video to youtube or a file sharing site where it can be seen/heard from other users here. If it is the hydrostatic you are hearing, they all make it, some worse than others.

I recently went from Blue to Orange myself.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
The price seems fair to me. The whining you hear is likely the HST. My dad has had his since new (though only 650-ish hrs) and it has always whined. He also has a higher hour G2000 that he picked up for $500. It whines as well.

All the of the older G tractors in my signature whine too, but thats not to say you wont want to do a fluid and filter change when you get it.

I changed whatever was in dads G2000 to Kubota UDT2. It sounded better to us, but it could have been the placebo effect too. Use a Kubota filter btw even though theyre almost $30.

GreentoOrange

Equipment
Deere 4300, X320
Mar 2, 2020
Gordonsville
Here’s an update, but first, Thank you all for the Welcome. I appreciate that as well as the keen insight.

I bought the unit! I got it for $1300. Turns out, not only did he keep records, but he maintained too. See photos. And everything you might want replaced was. The PTO shaft, starter, fluids and filters, including HST were replaced as well as the gearbox spindles and belt on mower deck. I could barely see the fluid for the HST it was so clean.

The unit is surprisingly powerful and fast! The HST does whine some and reverse requires that a really step on it. Is there an adjustment? or maybe im not used to the pedal.

BUT it doesn’t start with regularity. Seems to be safety switch or maybe a fuel shut off solenoid, im guessing. Suddenly just doesn’t start, then it does. Ideas??

It also is bogging down after a short period. The air filter was very dirty. I cleaned with compressed air, which helped, but didn’t fix. a new one is on the way. I welcome input. Thanks in advance!

And i saw above to use a Kubota filter — is that a Kubota OIL filter or HST or both? Ive see this filter on Amazon for $15. is this lesser quality or the real deal? Apparently i cant post link, but the this is part #:Kubota OEM Oil Filter HH150-32430
Really appreciate the assistance!

Attachments

22R

Feb 29, 2020
GONZALES, La
Hi ! Nice I just got one too a 1900. Mine starts every time but the glow plug light never works and the temp and fuel work sporadically. I am going to go over mine real well, remove deck and rust extend it, change all fluid and filters, check electrical connections, etc
I am going to use it as a trailer puller in the yard a backup for my ZTR and a conversation piece. Keep me updated we may can learn together. Mainnn you got real tracta tires.

Attachments

Last edited:

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
The no start condition could be from a switch on the brake. Every once in a while, dads gave me fits. To be honest Ive never looked into it and always just messed with it until it started. Normally took just a cycling of the brake pedal.

The bogging down could be fuel filters. You have one at the rear wheel and one under the hood.

When I recommended Kubota filters, I meant the HST. I should have clarified. If you go to the dealer for that, might as well get fuel filters too. To be honest, Ive always just used after market oil filters. They take the same thing as a Honda Accord or Hyundai Elantra.

Be sure to grease your PTO shaft I joints as well as the front axle pivot point in the center. 2 common areas that get neglected.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Hi ! Nice I just got one too a 1900. Mine starts every time but the glow plug light never works and the temp and fuel work sporadically. I am going to go over mine real well, remove deck and rust extend it, change all fluid and filters, check electrical connections, etc
I am going to use it as a trailer puller in the yard a backup for my ZTR and a conversation piece. Keep me updated we may can learn together. Mainnn you got real tracta tires.
The dash sometimes not working could be a bad ground or weak battery as odd as it sounds. Maybe charge the battery and/ or look into a battery tender.

I also had a fuse under the dash fail because it was so packed with grass. Probably not your issue since yours is sporadic, but worth looking into.

GreentoOrange

Equipment
Deere 4300, X320
Mar 2, 2020
Gordonsville
The no start condition could be from a switch on the brake. Every once in a while, dads gave me fits. To be honest Ive never looked into it and always just messed with it until it started. Normally took just a cycling of the brake pedal.

The bogging down could be fuel filters. You have one at the rear wheel and one under the hood.

When I recommended Kubota filters, I meant the HST. I should have clarified. If you go to the dealer for that, might as well get fuel filters too. To be honest, Ive always just used after market oil filters. They take the same thing as a Honda Accord or Hyundai Elantra.

Be sure to grease your PTO shaft I joints as well as the front axle pivot point in the center. 2 common areas that get neglected.

Thanks! im thinking it’s fuel and air filters, too. new ones on the way.

GreentoOrange

Equipment
Deere 4300, X320
Mar 2, 2020
Gordonsville
Thats a good looking unit!