Advice on New Tractor

twinnine

Feb 9, 2011
Searsmont, ME
I was in a dealership this past weekend and looking at the Grand L3240 model for about 32k. I'm doing some residential construction work this spring and would like a loader / backhoe in the low to mid 30hp range. I seem to be confused between the different series and options. Initial purchase I would like a loader and backhoe and future addons would include post hole digger, blade, bush hogger. For now I'll be moving dirt around, digging trenches and light stumping.

Besides the L3240, I'm looking at these models that seem to be a little cheaper....

B3300SU, L3400, L3800 or L3700SU

Besides the HP ratings, if someone could shed some light on the differences between L, Grand L and B series, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, what's the deal with the SU models? they seem cheaper than comparable tractor configured with a loader. Any drawbacks to them?

Overall, I don't mind spending a little more for a better, more rugged tractor, but I'd like to know what I'm paying the extra for. I'd rather pay a little extra for beefier frame and more attachment capabilities down the road then be limited as to what I can do.

Thanks!

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
I'm not the expert - but I'll throw my advice at you anyway. I'm sure some of the others on this forum can shed more light on all this.

The B series is a smaller tractor - though some of the larger B tractors come close to the ones in the lower end of the L series. I don't know a lot about the B series - except that they do have a mid PTO that allows you to use a mower deck and front snowblower. Most of the L series do not have this.

I am a little more familiar with the L series - because I've been researching these also - for a future purchase. I will assume that you're purchasing new here - and my comments below are based upon that assumption.

1) The L3400 is the old style tractor and will be replaced by the new L3800. The HP was beefed up a little on the new one - but most of the differences are cosmetic (rounded fenders, rounded hood, Hi-Lo headlights, tool box behind seat, higher ROPS - which is now foldable). The new ones do not have cruise control as a standard option - this is now optional. In terms of the L3700SU - what Kubota did was develop a special tractor to match one that JohnDeere was putting out in that price range. It's basically a hybrid between the old and new styles. It has all the styling of the old models - but the higher HP engine of the new ones. Also - the FEL came standard - it was not an optional item. It's sold as a package. The price was very competitive too.

The new L series line up is the L3200 and the L3800. These two models replaced the L2800 and L3400 (respectively). The L3700SU was a special run tractor. In terms of availability (as purchased new) - you might find it difficult to find the L2800, L3400, and the L3700SU. The production lines are now producing the newer L3200 and L3800.

Now - the L3240 is another animal. The "40 series" tractor is part of the "grand series" tractors. These are the Cadillacs of the Kubota line -with all the bells and whistles. The others would be like a Chevrolet or Pontiac - same basic features - but not all the extras. The Grand series tractors are much more expensive.

Myself - I was going to get a L2800 - but then realized that I needed more tractor and more Horses - so I opted to get the new L3800. Just for a comparison - I can get an L3800 HST, with comparable FEL, with quick detach loader add-on, with cruise control for $19,300 out the door.

Like many other members have told me on this forum - is that do your homework, make a list of what you want, and then start shopping. It's important to go with a dealer that you feel really comfortable with. Being close to home - isn't always the best criteria. I wish you luck shopping. My parting advice is go with the biggest tractor - and the options - that your wallet will allow.

Good Luck.

twinnine

Feb 9, 2011
Searsmont, ME
tk,

thanks for the info. Since I posted, I've found the L series to be a bit more rugged than B series so I've already ruled them out. I tend to be a little more harsh on equipment than the average person. I'm pretty sure I can get by w/o the mid-mount PTO so won't need the Grand. as for the other bells and whistles, I can do w/o. The local dealer has a L3400 on the lot but just that one and price isn't the greatest.

I've also come across the remote hydraulic valves option which I'm not sure I would like to have at some point. What implements require this option if any?

I'll be looking to purchase by the end of March so I have some research and shopping to do. Best of luck and curious to hear how you like yours when you do buy one!

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
Twinnine - I will be sure to post lots of pictures of mine - once I get it. Not sure when - I would guess in the April timeframe - hopefully not too much later. I actually think the L2800 (now the L3400) would suit my needs - but my wife - as well as other tractor owners - have told me to pick a model - then go up 1. I don't intend on buying another Kubota after this one - so I'm going to get all the "horses" I can afford. The newer models are nice. I like the dual filament headlights, the toolbox, and the foldable ROPS. The newer models have a greater loader capacity too - they have beefed up the hydraulics a bit. I would encourage you to spend some time with your dealer - on a day when he's not too busy. Bend his ear a bit and find out what kind of person he is. Ask about his parts people and his mechanics. Mine showed me around the place - out in the shop and introduced me to everybody. He also showed me his warehouse and how the units come shipped. Basically - you're buying more than just a tractor - you're buying a dealer too. Kubota's are rugged and dependable - but there might be a time when you have to get something addressed properly. That's when a good dealer come in.

Feel free to send me a private message or email if you want to chat off-line.

Good Luck.

TK

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Twinnine - I'd also advise you to get the most hp for your money. Something else to consider is that Kubota does make several Tractor/Loader/Backhoe (TLB) for industrial use. I knew I was going to be building a house and would be putting in underground electrical, waterlines, and sewer system. So I looked and finally found a used 1998-L35 (this was in 2003). It came with FEL & BH as standard equipment. You can take the BH off and use it with any Cat 1 3pt equipment such as mowers, back blades, pose-hole digger, plow, etc. I've used the heck out of it and it has saved me a bunch. I couldn't afford a new one and that is why I bought used.

As far as the extra hydraulic outlets go, I'd advise getting 3. I added a top-n-tilt kit to mine (it came with 3) so that when using 3pt equipment, you can control the tilt and cutting angle of say a box blade. If you are going to be doing a lot of dirt work such as smoothing yards or grading driveways, the top-n-tilt will make you life much more enjoyable. Keep us posted on what you purchase and ask any questions you may have. There is a great wealth of knowledge of the folks that make up OTT. Good Luck!

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
As you noted the Grand L is a bigger frame tractor than the L3400 and weighs approx 700 lbs more than the L3400. Some of the bells and whistles are worth considering. I have owned both the L3400 and the L3240. In my opinion, the 3pt. system on the Grand L by itself is worth the difference in price, not to mention seat comfort and what I call the floorboard with a rubber mat. Drive both tractors. There is a noticeable difference in the "feel". However, both are great tractors. You may also want to consider finding a dealer with a new (unsold) 2008-2009 model. A friend of mine just purchased a new off the lot 2008, L3240, 4WD, hydrostatic, with the LA724 loader for $18+ from a local dealer. The tractor had 2.5 hours on it. This same tractor was equipped with a backhoe which my friend did not want. The price including the backhoe was about $25K.

twinnine

Feb 9, 2011
Searsmont, ME
well, finally decided on the L3800 and got a few quotes from dealers around. For a L3800 4wd, HST with foldable ROPS, R4 tires, LA524 loader with 60" bucket, BH77 backhoe was about 28k. Seems like New England has a tad higher pricing anyways, but I figured pricing would be a greater discount from Kubota website than that. Do dealers usually provide a lot of room for dickering? Kubota just upped their financing offer to 60 months 0% for most models so that helps over the 48 months but I'd still like to get the best deal I can.