Advice on a New BX23S Setup

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I dont own the Artillian ones (yet), other members do and I believe one of them reported they were somewhere less than 200 pounds. I do know the earth and turf forks are 120 pounds because I own a set. But that's all they are though, just forks; they cant ever be a mini-stump bucket, grapple, forks, or tow hitch, plus more. To me, I feel like that's a lot of value, matched for a BX.

When you go looking for a SSQA grapple later, (or other stuff) what's readily available is typically very bulky, and heavy.

https://youtu.be/uE43ZtOmjC8
Jon's video with grapple demo

it seems like financing is a big factor for you so I guess that will drive what may be best. I am just really particular about the weight of anything going on my BX. There are a lot of options out there, its good to have choices and especially talk about them here.

Oct 24, 2019
IN
I dont own the Artillian ones (yet), other members do and I believe one of them reported they were somewhere less than 200 pounds. I do know the earth and turf forks are 120 pounds because I own a set. But that's all they are though, just forks; they cant ever be a mini-stump bucket, grapple, forks, or tow hitch, plus more. To me, I feel like that's a lot of value, matched for a BX.

When you go looking for a SSQA grapple later, (or other stuff) what's readily available is typically very bulky, and heavy.

https://youtu.be/uE43ZtOmjC8
Jon's video with grapple demo

it seems like financing is a big factor for you so I guess that will drive what may be best. I am just really particular about the weight of anything going on my BX. There are a lot of options out there, its good to have choices and especially talk about them here.
That video makes me want a grapple setup, and the Artillian system really looks nice. The frame plus rake plus two grapples shown in that video is $3,131 shipped. I'd still need the diverter setup.

My Kubota dealer was quoting $1800 total (I think $1200 for the grapple and $600 for the diverter). I'm sure the Artillian system is more awesome, but man is it expensive.

As I mentioned, based on my time value of money, the financing makes things appear about 30% cheaper than their sticker price. So I'd just as readily finance a $1,000 attachment as I would pay $700 for it now. I'm fine paying cash for things, but that's how I value my money.

So from my standpoint, the $1200 Kubota grapple looks like $840, and the Artilian grapple looks like $3k.

I'm not certain, but I'm guessing my dealer was quoting on the Land Pride SGC0554 grapple. According to Land Pride it weighs 195lb.
The Artillian setup (from the video), if I understand it correctly, weighs 99lb for the frame, and 40lb + 90lb + 90lb for the rake and two grapples. That's 319lb total.

I'm not trying to blast the Artillian stuff, it really looks nice. However, I feel like I must not be understanding the claims about it being so lightweight, or I'm not reading the weight specs correctly.

As for the third function options, I think I've read there are different implementations from either Kubota or aftermarket. Are there big differences?

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
yeah the double system adds up super fast. i guess it just depends on your needs. I love the modular design and the compactness of being able to just use a single unit. rather than hanging a 55" (EA) monstrosity on the front of the bx

that's true about the frame weight, i completely missed that, def adds into the total there. is the LP grapple really only $1200? that seems like a no brainer!

Oct 24, 2019
IN
yeah the double system adds up super fast. i guess it just depends on your needs. I love the modular design and the compactness of being able to just use a single unit. rather than hanging a 55" (EA) monstrosity on the front of the bx

that's true about the frame weight, i completely missed that, def adds into the total there. is the LP grapple really only $1200? that seems like a no brainer!
I'm double checking with my dealer on the grapple and diverter now.
Regarding the Artillian, my other thought about all the attachments is that being light enough to move by hand is great, and the modular design is great. I have trouble valuing some of the attachments though - if I want a tree stump gone, I've got the backhoe.

I'm really attracted to some of the BXpanded stuff too. I'll surely be spending some money there. I wonder if I should cancel the Kubota bolt-on cutting edge right now and just assume I'll get the BXpanded serrated cutting edge.

Oct 24, 2019
IN
I thought of another question: my dealer has me setup for a Land Pride QH05 quick hitch. I've seen so many videos were BX owners have the QH15. I don't really know the cost difference here (QH05 is $175 and wrapped into the financing), but do I want to change this? I don't like the look of the levers on the QH05 - seems dinky.

Oh, and how do we feel about the Kubota canopies? Looks like there are a couple options on Kubota's website, and it isn't clear what the differences are. I could see the shade being nice, also protecting the controls a bit more from sun/rain/snow if left outside.

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I think you're going to want the heavier quick hitch. I recall seeing some complaints on here about the lighter duty option not fitting cat1 stuff correctly.

I'll add that a set of forks work pretty well for moving brush and logs in lieu of a grapple set up.

PS. I'm too lazy to go back and read thru all of these posts...Ask your dealer to throw in some bucket hooks before delivery. maybe they'll weld them in for you too.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019
IN
I think you're going to want the heavier quick hitch. I recall seeing some complaints on here about the lighter duty option not fitting cat1 stuff correctly.
I just got this response from my dealer this morning:
"The QH15 is much heavier than the QH05. The QH05 is designed for use on the BX and B series and is built heavy enough for any category 1 implement that you could use with the BX. While the QH15 would fit on the BX, it is quite a bit bulkier and has a wider bottom hook which would require the use of bushings on each implement. The QH15 is mostly used on 40 HP plus tractors."

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
good to know. thanks for posting.

There was a thread not long ago where someone wasn't happy with the lighter unit. Can't recall all the particulars.

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
I've got the QH05 on my BX, and I'm very happy with it. It's held up perfectly (no pun intended) for the 3.5 years I've had it. Personally, I like the fact that it's not too heavy, as I need to take it off for a chipper that's not even close to QH compatible (though I'll modify that eventually), and when I'm using my Cyclone Rake.

It gets used for my box blade, rear blade, aerator, dethatcher, and carry-all. I had to move the top hitch point lower on the aerator, but everything else fit perfectly.

Some other QH's have an adjustable top hitch point. But if you're changing that regularly, your hitch ups aren't quick anyway.

Oct 24, 2019
IN
I've got the QH05 on my BX, and I'm very happy with it. It's held up perfectly (no pun intended) for the 3.5 years I've had it. Personally, I like the fact that it's not too heavy, as I need to take it off for a chipper that's not even close to QH compatible (though I'll modify that eventually), and when I'm using my Cyclone Rake.

It gets used for my box blade, rear blade, aerator, dethatcher, and carry-all. I had to move the top hitch point lower on the aerator, but everything else fit perfectly.

Some other QH's have an adjustable top hitch point. But if you're changing that regularly, your hitch ups aren't quick anyway.
Thanks for the input, I feel better about the QH05 now. I guess for some reason I kept seeing videos of people (BX owners too) with the QH15, and I basically never say the QH05 being used.

What are you using for a 3 point aerator? I just made a new thread about that specifically because my dealer wants $1400 for the Land Pride 48" aerator and I can't figure it.

skypros

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 2, 2018
Bend, OR
My BX23s came with the bolt on cutting edge.... and I will tell you it is a waste of money !!
The Piranha Tooth bar is probably the best $240 you will spend on your TLB

I'm really attracted to some of the BXpanded stuff too. I'll surely be spending some money there. I wonder if I should cancel the Kubota bolt-on cutting edge right now and just assume I'll get the BXpanded serrated cutting edge.

Oct 24, 2019
IN
My BX23s came with the bolt on cutting edge.... and I will tell you it is a waste of money !!
The Piranha Tooth bar is probably the best $240 you will spend on your TLB
I already asked my dealer about canceling their bolt-on edge and going with the Piranha. He said he'd already ordered the edge but had no problem taking it out of my order and keeping it for another customer. He also said the BXpanded products are excellent. I see myself spending at least another thousand dollars at BXpanded right after I get the tractor. I wish they had a deal on order multiple items.

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
I already asked my dealer about canceling their bolt-on edge and going with the Piranha. He said he'd already ordered the edge but had no problem taking it out of my order and keeping it for another customer. He also said the BXpanded products are excellent. I see myself spending at least another thousand dollars at BXpanded right after I get the tractor. I wish they had a deal on order multiple items.
They make great stuff. Some of the first things I got for my BX23S were following:

BXpanded: Under Armor, BackHoe bucket quick connect, Ripper tooth
Heavy Hitch: Rear 2 inch; Receiver Hitch Plate for Kubota BX Series. (Just liked it more than the BXpanded one.)
Bro-Tek: 2 inch rear wheel spacers

Adding worklights on the ROP is simple. Got some from Amazon, a switch and some small wire. Connected them on the side of the ROPS where the predrilled holes are. Not a lot of work involved since the LEDs don't use much power and there is a connection already wired into the back of the tractor.

All of those items have made my tractor easier to use and feel more stable.

I then added the 3rd function valve and got an EA 55 inch Root Rake Grapple. The grapple is on the tractor more than the bucket is.

The thing is, once you start using it, you will find all kinds of things you want to get for it, or make yourself. You may as well just prepare yourself for that now. :p