Ads

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
I really cant complain about advertising especially since this is a great online forum and I am currently not paying anything but should since some of the advice I have gotten here has saved me some bucks.
Why though do I keep getting advertisements for Bikinis, Swimsuits, tongs (or thongs?) and all kinds of women's underware
Even wired underware. Wired for what? Is it like an electric fence?
I am in my mid sixties and you guys don't want to see me in a Bikini. Nobody wants to see me in a Bikini. I don't think my wife wants me buying any of the women's underware especially the tongs and I really don't have a desire to start wearing women's clothing.

I don't even want to see ads for men's underware. How about some ads for chainsaws or toilet plungers, 10 ply toilet paper or something I might buy.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
The ads are sent to your computer according to where the "cookies" say you have been looking. Google something strange for example, baby food or mountain climbing boots. The ads will soon show up. So stop looking at the Sears Catalog and the thongs will soon go away.:)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

anomad

Equipment
YM2310D
Jun 10, 2021
Western North Carolina
There is software you can add to your computer that eliminates almost all advertisements. I do see an ad for PTO Connect which is highly relevant to the tractor scene.
Personally, I run a browser extension that blocks ads. A security/anti virus software that blocks all kinds of nasty things. And finally, all through a virtual private network to squash many other things. Kind of a triple filtration setup for your hydraulics, if you will. I pay an insignificant amount (for me) for those services. There are also relatively simple hardware solutions you can use with your home internet network.

Be happy to discuss solutions with you. Browsing right now I only see one add (PTO thing). And on lawnsite (same forum software) I see an ad for Takeuchi equipment.

Do paid subscriptions get rid of the advertising BS? I'd pay to be ad free, probably more than they make from BS ads for wimmenz underpants at least! LOL

Reactions: 1 user

anomad

Equipment
YM2310D
Jun 10, 2021
Western North Carolina
The ads are sent to your computer according to where the "cookies" say you have been looking. Google something strange for example, baby food or mountain climbing boots. The ads will soon show up. So stop looking at the Sears Catalog and the thongs will soon go away.:)
Good point. Browsing these days requires some kind of anti-tracking solution. Strict settings in a good browser like FireFox are an easy first step in this direction. I almost take that as common knowledge.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
No, even a Lifetime Membership doesn’t get rid of all ads. I’m still happy to have joined considering how cheap it is. Supposedly, I see less ads as a Lifetime Member, but I see even less if I turn on my NordVPN.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I keep hearing about the scantily clad women in the ads here and keep waiting for them to arrive but they never actually show up; pretty much consistent with my experience everywhere else for the vast majority of my life. I get the one below constantly. I don’t know what exactly it’s for or what it says about my browsing.
D4BB9C38-7D3A-4018-99B3-08260E8C905D.png

• Haha

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Good point. Browsing these days requires some kind of anti-tracking solution. Strict settings in a good browser like FireFox are an easy first step in this direction. I almost take that as common knowledge.
I am in my sixties. I have not been blessed with common knowledge of computers. I was, along time ago, a key punch operator for a company that made cardboard boxes. DOS was a a part of the computer knowledge.

A life time of working left little time to keep up with the common knowledge in the computer world. Watching my teenage boys play with their phones has taught me a lot. As kids in school they have no fear of screwing up the machines. I still carry that fear with me.

So I guess what I am saying is there are many on here that use a computer but do not have the background to say we are computer literate. I often read fixes for a computer problem and have no idea what they are saying to do and I ask my son and he looks at me with those "you are stupid" eyes. The flip side of this story is the boy has no idea how to change the oil in his car.

Forgive us old timers that enjoyed working with their hands and not understanding all the computer speak.

And my three boys have become a computer geek. an electrician and the youngest is starting as as a mechanic at a CAT dealer right out of high school.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Download an “adblocker” and you’ll get a lot less of that junk. Google “adblocker” and pick one.

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
So stop looking at the Sears Catalog and the thongs will soon go away.:)
Dang. Busted.
I was looking for a new walker for my Mom and bought one. Now on google I am flooded with ads for walkers and potty chairs. How many potty chairs does a person need:rolleyes:
Oh well, if looking at the occasional scantily clad lady is the price I have to pay than I guess I can put up with it.
I wouldn't know what to do with a lady if I bought it but......wife says I gotta take out the garbage and cant play anymore.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
With the help of #1 son I installed a hardware/software solution called, ready for this?, Pi-hole. It's put on your lan right after the router.

#3 son convinced me to to use Brave as a browser. It's also a good solution for blocking ads.

For all the other geezers that posted above, don't feel bad. I'm almost 75 and built my 1st microcomputer in 1976, an Intel 8008. I still build them. This one I'm on now is an AMD 2950X Threadripper - 2-1/2 years old and already 'old'. For all that, when I have a question or problem its 1-800-call-the-kids

Reactions: 2 users

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Change you search engine from Google to DuckDuckGo, and you will see no ads when doing searches, and no search info is passed via cookies to other sites for personalized ads.
I also use Adblocker Ultimate with Firefox, and see no ads here other than the PTO-Connect ad,
and none on any other of the sites I regularly visit.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
This one I'm on now is an AMD 2950X Threadripper - 2-1/2 years old and already 'old'. For all that, when I have a question or problem its 1-800-call-the-kids
I mean I don't know what sort of performance you are expecting but I (personally) would not call any Threadripper machine old by any means. Unless you are encoding 30 minute videos daily that thing should rip (pun intended) anything you want to do to shreds. I'm running a 5 or 6 year old i5 6500 with a GTX 970 graphics card and it is honestly just now (last 8 months) starting to show its age. But I don't know your use case so I may be wrong.

If you decide to upgrade your stuff though I could "recycle" your current stuff for you though lol.

• Haha

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I mean I don't know what sort of performance you are expecting but I (personally) would not call any Threadripper machine old by any means. Unless you are encoding 30 minute videos daily that thing should rip (pun intended) anything you want to do to shreds. I'm running a 5 or 6 year old i5 6500 with a GTX 970 graphics card and it is honestly just now (last 8 months) starting to show its age. But I don't know your use case so I may be wrong.

If you decide to upgrade your stuff though I could "recycle" your current stuff for you though lol.
lol ccoon529 :)
It's a hobby for me at this point. I was doing video rendering and photoshop work when I built it. Probably didn't need all the resources I put in it - 2080 TI graphics, 64gb ram, 2tb nvme ssd plus 4tb reg ssd and twin 6tb spinning drives drives. I use 12gb for a ram disk.

My #2 son and I built a duplicate for him in MD. My #3 son and I built a 3750X box that he does use for 'serious' video rendering.

It's a lot like getting a new implement or tractor accessory and using it for the 1st time. Big smile! Whenever I finish a machine and turn it on for the 1st time and it actually boots. . . Big smile!

Here is 'Monster'

monster_hdr_small.jpg

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
lol ccoon529 :)
It's a hobby for me at this point. I was doing video rendering and photoshop work when I built it. Probably didn't need all the resources I put in it - 2080 TI graphics, 64gb ram, 2tb nvme ssd plus 4tb reg ssd and twin 6tb spinning drives drives. I use 12gb for a ram disk.

My #2 son and I built a duplicate for him in MD. My #3 son and I built a 3750X box that he does use for 'serious' video rendering.

It's a lot like getting a new implement or tractor accessory and using it for the 1st time. Big smile! Whenever I finish a machine and turn it on for the 1st time and it actually boots. . . Big smile!
Nice. It'll be a long time before I can build myself something like that. I think I can squeeze 2 more years out of my current computer but even after that I think I'll have a hard time convincing my wife (and myself honestly) to go much above a Ryzen 5.