Adjusted Toe-In on M7040

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
After finally getting the lock nut free, I was able to adjust the toe in and take some toe out of the front end. The toe was at .3125 and max spec was .302. i adjust the toe to .125 (1/8) and it made a significant improvement. The tractor had over-steer due to the excessive toe-in. So cultivating the garden was tedious. Planting was difficult as well because the tractor wanted ”wander” and the slightest steering change would cause a problem with the rows being straight. After making The adjustment and triple-checking the measurements, I tightened up the locknuts and moowed a couple of acres. Now, the oversteer is gone and the is no wandering or weaving. Just nice straight lines down the mowed grass. The next nice surprise was that now, turning around at the end of a row doesn’t chew up the grass and cause divots at the end of the rows. I wish I had taken the time to do this a lot sooner.

i didn’t use the Kubota method of measuring tread to tread. I set up string on both sides of the tractor using the rear wheels as my reference. Then I measured from the string to to front wheels front and back. turned The steering wheel to reach a point where the front and rear measurements for both sides were the same. That way I knew when the wheels were straight ahead. The difference between the front and rear measurements on each wheel gives me the toe information, Then I adjust each side to get the desired toe. for 1/8 inch toe in, that’s 1/16 on each side. It’s an old school way to align cars and trucks and is very accurate. Just slow. But worth the time.

Reactions: 1 user