Adding Hydraulic Fluid to L3800HST

RobD70

Equipment
Kubota L3800 HST, Land Pride PR1672 Power Rake, Land Pride BB2572 Box Scraper
Feb 22, 2014
Marathon, WI
I know you check the hydraulic fluid level using the the small glass sight window below the seat by the foot rest area. I did my 50 hr service and did add fluid for what I lost when changing the hydro filter. I can raise my loader as high as it goes, tilt the bucket and raise the 3 point as high as it goes and I cant see the line that shows the level of fluid in that sight window. I can lower everything all the way down to and still cant see it. Is it possible to put to much hydraulic fluid in? It seems to drive just fine, so I dont think it would be low. It does seem like I have to move the 3 point lever more before it raises, but it still does go up and down. Is there another way to check the level besides the sight window?

Rob

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
As far as i know the only way is the sight glass. Drain some out til fluid line appears. Over filling may cause foaming,but there would be room for expansion when oil heats up.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I know you check the hydraulic fluid level using the the small glass sight window below the seat by the foot rest area. I did my 50 hr service and did add fluid for what I lost when changing the hydro filter. I can raise my loader as high as it goes, tilt the bucket and raise the 3 point as high as it goes and I cant see the line that shows the level of fluid in that sight window. I can lower everything all the way down to and still cant see it. Is it possible to put to much hydraulic fluid in? It seems to drive just fine, so I dont think it would be low. It does seem like I have to move the 3 point lever more before it raises, but it still does go up and down. Is there another way to check the level besides the sight window?

Rob
I would guess that you added more or less the same amount that came out? And you were on VERY level ground when looking at the site glass?

When I changed my filter at 50 h, I had to add MORE than what I lost to get to the line on the dipstick.........(BX25D)

Drive around on different areas of the lawn, park on a slight hill, check the glass, move around to a different angle , check the glass, if you STILL cannot see fluid add some, and repeat the movements.