Adding FUEL to the MX6000 makes me cuss

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I absolutely love my MX6000 but the only complaint I have is adding gas....
So in the grand sceme of things, a minor issue but man adding gas is a hassle.
WHY on earth do they put the gas fill on top of the hood? It is such a pain to lug a 5 pound gas can up there and add fuel without making a mess... I tried someones idea of using a board across the loader arms as a rest... I sure wish there was a conversion of some kind to lower down on the side like JD does.. that was the only thing I liked better about green.
I got by for decades hauling and hoisting 5 gallon cans - old ones that filled amd poured freely. When I added an L3901 to the mix I quickly realized it was time to get off my butt and let a few moths out of my wallet. I bought a 40 gallon steel transfer tank and 12v pump with fuel nozzel for the bed of my pickup. Another long overdue expenditure and what an improvement. Greatly simplifies purchasing and hauling fuel and filling my 3 diesel tractors plus my construction heater.

Dan

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I absolutely love my MX6000 but the only complaint I have is adding gas....
So in the grand sceme of things, a minor issue but man adding gas is a hassle.
WHY on earth do they put the gas fill on top of the hood? It is such a pain to lug a 5 pound gas can up there and add fuel without making a mess... I tried someones idea of using a board across the loader arms as a rest... I sure wish there was a conversion of some kind to lower down on the side like JD does.. that was the only thing I liked better about green.
I feel your pain, but try fueling under the hood.
All the problems you describe, plus having to work under the hood, and a fuel strainer in the tank slowing things down.
The best solution I found was to switch from the 5gal can to a 2 1/2gal can.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I still use a 6 gallon can (old enough to have a vent and new enough to be plastic so it doesn’t scratch the tractor) and set it up on the cowl/hood, same as I’ve done forever on the Ford N and McCormick Farmall H.

But I know, unless I die young, someday that won’t work and I’ll buy a pump of some sort. I‘ve seen the old school elevated system described by GreensvilleJay. They work swell, particularly if there’s enough drop to add a screw on canister filter and water separator, but I don’t use enough fuel to justify calling out a fuel truck.

For what I use it for and where I use it, I’m kind of glad the fuel tank is not located low on the side where it’s more exposed. For a true ag/field tractor low on the side makes sense. For knocking around in the woods/brush and slogging through mud holes I prefer it high and centrally located.

Also glad the filler neck isn’t on top of the left rear fender like my brother’s JD 4052. One of the first accessories he had to buy was one of those John Dow tank/pump combos like mcmxi linked. It’s really sweet to be able to set it in and out of the back of a truck using the built in fork slots, and the pump is reasonably quick. Unless you’re a gorilla that can hold a full fuel can slightly above head high for the duration, you have to have a pump for the 4052. Nothing to rest it on with just a relatively small fender top. His 4052 is a very nice machine with the fuel filler in a very stupid place. So there is at least one currently manufactured compact tractor with the fuel filler in a dumber place than the middle of the hood.

For now, this is still working.
IMG_9028.jpeg

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I bought a 12 volt powered setup from Amazon a year ago. I have a 40 KW standby generator with a 60 gallon tank and I use it as a bulk storage tank and feed the Deere and Kubota from it which avoids having diesel sit unused for long periods of time in the generator tank.

My Kubota F2690 would be easy to fill from containers given its fairly low fill port on the side but the Deere 955 tank is under the hood and a bit of a pain to climb up with 5 gallon containers.

Rodger

View attachment 111967
I have basically the same pump and mounted on a dolly with a 55 gallon drum.

cuboodle

Equipment
B2601
May 9, 2023
PA
I got a harbor freight pump that looks like a flashlight with a tube it was 12 bucks runs on 2 D cells. I put the can on the floorboard of the tractor and it worked so good I bought another an put it back. I love that thing!!

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

emac

Equipment
L3600, ZD1211, ZG20
Sep 13, 2021
SC
I still use a 6 gallon can (old enough to have a vent and new enough to be plastic so it doesn’t scratch the tractor) and set it up on the cowl/hood, same as I’ve done forever on the Ford N and McCormick Farmall H.

But I know, unless I die young, someday that won’t work and I’ll buy a pump of some sort. I‘ve seen the old school elevated system described by GreensvilleJay. They work swell, particularly if there’s enough drop to add a screw on canister filter and water separator, but I don’t use enough fuel to justify calling out a fuel truck.

For what I use it for and where I use it, I’m kind of glad the fuel tank is not located low on the side where it’s more exposed. For a true ag/field tractor low on the side makes sense. For knocking around in the woods/brush and slogging through mud holes I prefer it high and centrally located.

Also glad the filler neck isn’t on top of the left rear fender like my brother’s JD 4052. One of the first accessories he had to buy was one of those John Dow tank/pump combos like mcmxi linked. It’s really sweet to be able to set it in and out of the back of a truck using the built in fork slots, and the pump is reasonably quick. Unless you’re a gorilla that can hold a full fuel can slightly above head high for the duration, you have to have a pump for the 4052. Nothing to rest it on with just a relatively small fender top. His 4052 is a very nice machine with the fuel filler in a very stupid place. So there is at least one currently manufactured compact tractor with the fuel filler in a dumber place than the middle of the hood.

For now, this is still working.
View attachment 112056
Exactly what I do, using the same diesel jug!

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
And I use the 6 gallon jug above with the $12 HF pump above.

I sort of think we might just have come full circle on this topic. But I won’t be surprised if it goes another couple pages either.

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
When I was growing up on the farm, we had a 300-gallon tank up on an angle-iron stand with a hose and a nozzle. Since we were close to the highway, we had to keep it locked.

-Paul