Adding a cutting edge to front bucket

Northeast_Mainiac

Equipment
Kubota B2301 TLB, 54” mmm, 18’ galvanized Ironbull trailer
May 18, 2023
Maine
Hi all, so I noticed some wear to the factory cutting edge on both sides of my bucket, so I found a 54” Kubota cutting edge at my local dealer, it’s a non reversible one for $175.,
So I decided to try and attempt drilling the holes myself with a mag drill I rented from a rental place , that was $45 and had to buy a speacial bit for it, $35 for the bit…
Well I made it 3/4 the way through and the bit broke. Looks like I’m going to find a machine shop….. nothing is ever easy

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
You do not need a special drill or bit. Your cordless drill will work just fine, just start with a small drill bit, go slow, and use cutting oil. Then go to a bigger bit, I'm drilling 5/8 inch in 3/8 thick steel in the horizontal plane and I'm just using a m18 drill, yes looked at a magnetic drill but could not justify it for the 40ish holes I need.

Reactions: 1 users

Northeast_Mainiac

Equipment
May 18, 2023
Maine
You do not need a special drill or bit. Your cordless drill will work just fine, just start with a small drill bit, go slow, and use cutting oil. Then go to a bigger bit, I'm drilling 5/8 inch in 3/8 thick steel in the horizontal plane and I'm just using a m18 drill, yes looked at a magnetic drill but could not justify it for the 40ish holes I need.
My drill is crap, and so are my drill bits, I’ll pay for someone else to do it, I have cutting oil but I think that material I have to drill through is hardened steel

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I drilled my bucket and it was not hardened steel. It drilled really easy.

Reactions: 4 users

KKBL

Equipment
L2501 HST QA 525 loader, 42" forks, brush hog, grader/box/back blades
Jan 5, 2022
Girard, PA
As cthomas said, start with a small bit and work up to the size you need.
Using good bits that are made for drilling steel (135 degree angle HHS), cutting oil, and a good drill motor - should not be a problem - cost of good drill bits and new power drill will be way less than paying someone else to do the work, and then you will also have them on hand for other projects when you need them.

Reactions: 3 users

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
If you were closer I would give you my grandpa's old 110 volt drill works great except it has a small short and it will give you a shock intermittently. Now I know why it was on the top shelf in the very back. I guess I just didn't think that nobody doesn't own a drill, as I have about a dozen of 'em. Right angle, 3/4" drill, impact/cement, cordless, and even a old manual drill.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I tried to use my nieces super-soaker gun with cutting oil in it, it didn't work like I thought it would.

Reactions: 1 user

Northeast_Mainiac

Equipment
May 18, 2023
Maine
As cthomas said, start with a small bit and work up to the size you need.
Using good bits that are made for drilling steel (135 degree angle HHS), cutting oil, and a good drill motor - should not be a problem - cost of good drill bits and new power drill will be way less than paying someone else to do the work, and then you will also have them on hand for other projects when you need them.
Where would you recommend buying these said drill bits from please, not sure Home Depot sells these type of drill bits.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I drilled through mine with a cordless drill and carbide drill bits from the big box store and 10w30 motor oil. Go slow and take your time. Maybe 1/3 speed on the drill. You could see long curly strands being cut off. If you go full speed, you'll overheat the bit and it won't cut.

Reactions: 4 users

Northeast_Mainiac

Equipment
May 18, 2023
Maine
I drilled through mine with a cordless drill and carbide drill bits from the big box store and 10w30 motor oil. Go slow and take your time. Maybe 1/3 speed on the drill. You could see long curly strands being cut off. If you go full speed, you'll overheat the bit and it won't cut.
And I think this might be why one of the cutters broke on the mag drill bit, the mag drill has only one speed on this specific drill, wish I didn’t spend the $85 to rent it and buy the bit.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
When I made mine it attaches to the side of the bucket.

Honestly I used a Uni-bit for it and my cordless drill. It worked great. I can't remember exactly, but I think I got my Uni-bit at Horror Fright.

Like The Evil Twin suggested, go slow and use lube, you'll be fine.

Heres what a Uni-bit looks like.

And pics of where I had to drill my holes.

1684836240983.png
20220714_122919[1].jpg

20220714_140308[1].jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Northeast_Mainiac

Equipment
May 18, 2023
Maine

Honestly I used a Uni-bit for it and my cordless drill. It worked great. I can't remember exactly, but I think I got my Uni-bit at Horror Fright.

View attachment 103213
Ty for the tip, I’m not going through the sides of my bucket, I’m going through the factory cutting edge and part of the bucket steel, I need to drill 7 holes and that stuff is hard or just seems harder than the sides

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
And I think this might be why one of the cutters broke on the mag drill bit, the mag drill has only one speed on this specific drill, wish I didn’t spend the $85 to rent it and buy the bit.
Yup, that'll do it. Heat and pressure make diamonds, not a hole in steel. Lol.
It's a learning experience, man. None of us knew all this stuff out of the box. We all had to take a lick here and there. Blood, sweat and throwing a tool or two along the way.

Reactions: 2 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia

View attachment 103213 View attachment 103214

View attachment 103215
I've used one of those bits before. Got an assortment. One thing to note is that they'll cut chips out, not strands. Just info for the OP.

Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I've used one of those bits before. Got an assortment. One thing to note is that they'll cut chips out, not strands. Just info for the OP.
Yea they are not perfect but good enough usually.

I tried one for the first time about 4 or 5 years ago when I had to drill a sh!t load of 5/8 holes to install my plow mount.

It worked great for that job.

The other down side is that because the "steps" are only about an 1/8" deep, you are kind of limited in that regard too.

Although getting you "close" to your desired hole diameter, it's good to go, then just finish it up with the proper size bit.

Northeast_Mainiac

Equipment
May 18, 2023
Maine
Yup, that'll do it. Heat and pressure make diamonds, not a hole in steel. Lol.
It's a learning experience, man. None of us knew all this stuff out of the box. We all had to take a lick here and there. Blood, sweat and throwing a tool or two along the way.
And this is why I’m here, to learn from all the pros

View attachment 103213 View attachment 103214

View attachment 103215
that bottom picture looks like a tooth bar from hell