Added Tie Down Points

SGT13

Equipment
Bx23s, CB05 bucket, GS05 scraper, Shop made ballast, hangers, & anchor pts
Sep 2, 2021
Arizona
"Straps are a lot tougher than folks give them credit for. "

I agree that the straps have the strength to hold the tractor. However they are not very durable compared to a chain. A tractor with a leaking tire will strap down nice and tight. As you drive the tire goes soft and the strap will loosen. Then every bump and stop/start cycle the tractor will move just a bit. Every movement will cut a few strands of the strap. It really does not take much to cut a strap with tension on it.

As to the statements that the trucker do it so it must be OK. There are a least 2 problems with that statement. First there are companies that do not supply chains and binders for the driver to use when they should. Second there are a lot of lazy truck drivers. Straps are lighter and easier to throw across a load so they use them instead of a chain.

If you watch as you drive the interstate look at the trucks that are carrying I-beams. Often they use straps. And those that do use straps do not use corner protectors. Everything works OK until it does not. The edge of an I-beam will cut a strap in less then a blink of an eye. Most truckers no longer place a chain across the front of the load to prevent the I-beams from shifting forward.

My dad was a volunteer fireman/EMT for over 50 years. He came in from a run one morning and was acting strange. A truck load of I-beams was involved in a wreck on the interstate. Strapped down and
without the cross chains. The driver did not make it.

Most 4 inch straps that are used on a truck are rated at " 4 inch Ratchet Straps are rated for 5,400 lb to 5,670 lb working load limits. "

Look at the trucks that are hauling similar types of freight. A new tractor in a crate gets strapped down. A rolling tractor gets chained.

I gotta concur with BigG. As a former military truck master I would have a field day with those using straps on rolling stock. OK to use on implements to further minimize movement but, only if the strap has a guard for edge protection. Getting ready to pick up my first personally owned tractor but, I already have G70 chains, binders, & 20K straps with guards.

Update: Been over a year. here's what I did for anchorage front & rear. For those that fabricate. This is on BX23S. Front is a 5/8" 5160 steel hoop welded to the underside of a receiver and plate bolted to frame rail with existing hardware. Rear is again 5160 welded to 3/8 A36 plate bolted with existing hardware. included a hole for tow ball or shackle.

Attachments

Last edited: