Add on grapple for a B5200 with FEL?

Fastest1

Equipment
1994 B5200 FEL
Dec 9, 2012
Conroe, Texas
I have a1994 B5200 with a Frey FEL.

My desire is to have the ability to hold logs or brush in the existing bucket. I intend to build the system myself with a readily available small hydraulic cylinder . Having seen the offerings by W. Long with the electric switch on the loader handle would be nice if I can tie into the existing hydraulics. Has anyone done this? Any tips and or pics would be great.

Btw great site. I am the proud new owner of an old tractor that will be needing love. Great to find people with similar addictions errr I mean interests.

Last edited:

Fastest1

Equipment
1994 B5200 FEL
Dec 9, 2012
Conroe, Texas
After a little more investigation, I find the joystick control is a SD5.
http://freyloaders.com/pdfs/ml165.pdf
It appears that there is a power beyond port or valve there on the body. Is that where I would get my pressure for my grapple? Also I see there is a port unmarked on the top but directly above the return line, are these connected? Or do you T return lines? Are check valves used?

magicheater

Equipment
B26, B7800, Auto Tach-N-Go
After a little more investigation, I find the joystick control is a SD5.
http://freyloaders.com/pdfs/ml165.pdf
It appears that there is a power beyond port or valve there on the body. Is that where I would get my pressure for my grapple? Also I see there is a port unmarked on the top but directly above the return line, are these connected? Or do you T return lines? Are check valves used?
The power beyond would go to another valve body in series with what you have now. The return lines can be T'ed and it is a good idea to use a little larger hose size on them. The A-B and C-D ports are the work ports where you attach your cylinders to. The unmarked ports near the power beyond and pressure ports are normally just alternatives if there is a clearance issue when hooking up hoses/fittings. You would just swap the plug if you needed to. Hope this helps.

Fastest1

Equipment
1994 B5200 FEL
Dec 9, 2012
Conroe, Texas
As an update.

I ordered and received a "thumb" from Green Machines. It is a 20" that came with all mounting hardware and the cylinder. It did not come with the bolts to attach it to your bucket as there could be a variety of mounting options.

I also ordered a 12v selector valve from Surplus Center. This valve if unpowered defaults a set of ports to the original cylinders, upon powering it assigns the ports to another cylinder.

My plan is to tie into the curl/dump circuit of my loader. A simple momentary push button switch will allow me to use the same lever to control the bucket or the grapple, quickly and without removing my hand. My thought is a sealed reed switch or similar on the shaft of the lever. I might use a shifter knob with a Nitrous switch. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370036484.043435.jpg

Burtonbr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 B2620, LA364 FEL,rear remotes,grapple pallet forks, many other toys.
Nov 11, 2012
NC
Oh yeaaaaa, you'll love having the thumb on your bucket, makes handling all kinds of brush and logs much easier.
I've been thinking about adding a diverter too, the shift knob with a button is the least expensive I could find and think it would work well.

Fastest1

Equipment
1994 B5200 FEL
Dec 9, 2012
Conroe, Texas
I can't wait. Tonight I am strengthening the top of the bucket with some 2x3 tubing. The valve isn't here yet, so that will be on hold. Then some lines will need to be made.