A question on the subject of metal composition and structure.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Hi all,
a bit of an off the wall question really on the subject of metal composition and structure etc, and just in case there are any techy type guys on here that may be able to assist further.
In the new year i am due to rebuild my race bike and a few areas are now due for a closer inspection for safety purposes etc.
several items need to be checked for cracks or corrosion and associated other damage .
The single sided swinging arm and wheels also several engine case covers are cast magnesium as are front fork yokes, which can corrode overtime and can sustain damage which is very difficult to see.
As these item are now 13 years old and to my knowledge never been checked before , i think it may be wise now to get them checked for soundness etc, would x-raying them be a viable solution and show up and possible abnormalities etc, if not what other methods may be use benafit.

just a question for anyone in the know ..
rob

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Rob I know how a man gets attached to his machine, but maybe its time to retire the old girl and get a new one,,13 years of racing are hard as hell on parts we both know that,,, magaflux might be an option as well as xray, if ya cant see it ya don't know its there,,, And if your going to be racing the Isle of Mann brother let me know I wana watch;)

Ride safe my friend

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The first way you can check is called dye penetrant check. Magnaflux makes one called Magnavis, the one I am familiar with is SpotCheck. You can buy kits of two separate spray cans, one the dye and the other a developer.

Basically you spray the dye on, let it "soak" a bit and then wipe it of. Spray the developer on (it is basically a spray powder) and it will draw out the dye from cracks since you could not wipe the dye out of the crack.

these are not full proof but get you a good idea if the part is cracked.

You can probably get this and other checks made at a machine shop or test lab with various levels of cost.

Since the materials you mention are non-magnetic (magnesium is usually alloyed with aluminum to make light and strong parts - aka motorcycle cases) you can not use the magnetic particle inspection method.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
thanks for the replies guys, currently looking into the options that you have all recommeded, Except skeets suggestion of retiring her:eek:, just cant do it sir, the years maybe ticking by but this bike is just so special :cool: and i could never find a replacement to be honest:(, let alone the cost now.:eek:

I have attached several pics of 2 of the offending parts, swinging arm and fork yokes.
they look to be fine from a visual check but i need to be 100% now just in case of a high speed off.

these mag arms if you could find a good used one that is will cost in excess of $2500 alone, thats just the bare arm without the racing hub and all other parts that go with the arm....

anyway, i'll let you know how i progress with the options suggested.
Skeets, of to the IOM next year , hoping to get some decent onboard footage aswell, you'll need to keep upto speed with my posts.

rgds
rob

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
My friend I do understand, a man gets attached to a special machine, that has become a part of him, that why there's an old Hyabusa sitting out there in parts but its there right next to the block head Harley.
And brother that's one place I would love to go, to old to compete but the sight, sounds and smells, well you understand. Ride safe my friend and I hope you find what you need. I look forward to watching the videos :D

Express

May 31, 2013
Oxford, Connecticut
The Dye penertrant inspection is good for surface cracks and zyglo is also a penertrant inspection that's uses a low viscosity penetrant with a flouresent dye that is used with a black light in a dark area to make cracks appear. Zyglo does have kits with the penetrant, cleaner and developer to draw out entrant from the cracks if any.
X-ray will show corrosion. Ultra sound will show subsurface cracks both of these non-destructive tests (NDT) require trained individuals and equipment . We use these techniques in aviation often and are expensive.