A couple of rear weight ideas

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Thirty years ago I was at one of our steel supplies, and picked up 6, 1-1/4x15" disks from their scrap bin. About 70lbs each. For years I had 3 on each rear wheel of the L185, now 2 are on the Cub Cadet riding mower. I decided to use the other 4 as either additional weight for the rear blade, or ballast for the rear tires.
The blade was easy - I just welded a couple of bolts on the back. Digs and scrapes like a champ!
I had some 1/8" plate, 1/8" wall square tubing and a bit of flat bar, so I made hubs for the wheel weights. I already had hollow wheel spacers for the rear wheels, so it did not hurt to have the bolt head and reinforcing bar on the back side of the hub. I fit pieces of the plate into the ends of the square tubing and drilled them for a snug fit to give radial support to the center long bolt. When the weights are mounted, this keeps the whole hub assembly under tension, removing any stress from the welds.
I can read your thoughts - "Not enough support for 140lbs of weight!" The same general arrangement lasted over 30 years on the L185. Truth is I never run the tractor fast enough to spin them off.

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I dont see why it wouldnt be strong enough, they look like they are pulled in tight so they dont flop around, I think its a pretty good idea