a/c shorting out

Bsmith8732

Equipment
l4200dt-gst-c
Jul 19, 2022
I have Kubota l4200 gst-c with the a/c shorting out. I've replaced the relay. I've unplugged the blower motors, resistor, and thermostat. i have power in to switch but once i turn the switch to any on position I lose my 12v. I've looked all over the internet for a wiring diagram for this model but I've had no luck. Any help would be greatly apperciated.

Bsmith8732

Equipment
l4200dt-gst-c
Jul 19, 2022
I thought so too. but when I bench tested it with battery power all switches work as they should.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Generally speaking... if the supply power goes away when the load is switched "on"..... then there is a bad connection FEEDING the power to where you are measuring.

I have said MANY times in the past, the most-efficient way to isolate such a problem is using "voltage drop" measurements with your meter.

• If you have schematic, it should take no more than 3 minutes to isolate the source of the problem
  • Without schematic... it may take 20 minutes to figure out how it is wired before fixing it.

Reactions: 2 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Sounds like a dead short someplace.

If it were me....I'd disconnect the A/C clutch, run 12vdc directly to the clutch (which is just an electro-magnetic coil) and see if the clutch engages. This will serve to tell you that it is likely OK (or not) and not the source of your problem. With that circuit still disconnected.....try to run the A/C again and see if you lose 12v.

IF you do.... then begin by visually inspecting the wiring in that circuit for chaffing, pinching, rodent damage.

You have either a faulty component, high resistance or a dead short someplace.

Reactions: 1 user

Bsmith8732

Equipment
l4200dt-gst-c
Jul 19, 2022
I would love a schematic right about know. I do believe my switches are good I tested them removed them checked the copper plate inside that makes the connections. all is well with it power went though switch it each with when switched on. I've sent power threw a blue and black wire and activated the a/c button and my blower and compressor were all working. however the blue and yellow wire was grounded and shouldn't be it shows to go to my resistor ( I think) but when I unplugged the resistor it still killed my power when I activated the blower switch. there is a (what Kubota calls) an amp unit the seems to control the system once power is sent threw that blue and black wire. I can hear the relay kicking on in it. I did replace the other relay that gives the switch its power. even though I bench tested it to and it operated as it should.

Bsmith8732

Equipment
l4200dt-gst-c
Jul 19, 2022
OPENING UP THE HARNESS IS WHAT I WILL TRY NEXT TO FOLLOW THESE WIRES AND SEE WHAT I CAN FIND. :(

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Unplug the clutch and try it. Clutches are known to fail.

Bsmith8732

Equipment
l4200dt-gst-c
Jul 19, 2022
I will try that. I did send power to the blower on what I believe is the direct wire to the blower bypassing the resistor wires and I turned the cold function on and everything worked on that function, Compressor clutches kicked in and blower came on and was blowing nice cool air. The other 2 speeds though, there my problem.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I will try that. I did send power to the blower on what I believe is the direct wire to the blower bypassing the resistor wires and I turned the cold function on and everything worked on that function, Compressor clutches kicked in and blower came on and was blowing nice cool air. The other 2 speeds though, there my problem.
High speed for fan is often a separate circuit on A/C units and bypasses any resistor/block.

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
Locate where the slow-blow fuse is. I bet that you'll find the connections to be loose or corroded on it.

Bsmith8732

Equipment
l4200dt-gst-c
Jul 19, 2022
I HAVEN'T FOUND THE BREAK YET BUT I HAVE POWER FROM THAT FUSE THROUGH A WHITE WIRE WITH A BLUE STRIP TILL IT GOES IN A PASS THROUGH UNDER THE CONSOLE THAT GOES UNDER THE TRACTOR.
THE WIRE LOOM COMES OVER TO THE DRIVER SIDE (NO POWER) AT THIS POINT. GOES BACK INTO THE CAB UP THE PILLAR OVER TO THE MAIN RELAY. WHAT WAS THROWING ME FOR A LOOP WAS THE HOT ON THE RELAY COIL WAS CROSSING OVER THE COIL TO THE SWITCH SO I THOUGHT THE SWITCH NEEDED POWER BUT IT'S GROUND CONTROLLED. WILL CUT OUT AND REPAIR WIRE OR DO AN OVERLAY. THANKS FOR THE SCHEMATIC AND ALL THE HELP.

Reactions: 1 users

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I HAVEN'T FOUND THE BREAK YET BUT I HAVE POWER FROM THAT FUSE THROUGH A WHITE WIRE WITH A BLUE STRIP TILL IT GOES IN A PASS THROUGH UNDER THE CONSOLE THAT GOES UNDER THE TRACTOR.
THE WIRE LOOM COMES OVER TO THE DRIVER SIDE (NO POWER) AT THIS POINT. GOES BACK INTO THE CAB UP THE PILLAR OVER TO THE MAIN RELAY. WHAT WAS THROWING ME FOR A LOOP WAS THE HOT ON THE RELAY COIL WAS CROSSING OVER THE COIL TO THE SWITCH SO I THOUGHT THE SWITCH NEEDED POWER BUT IT'S GROUND CONTROLLED. WILL CUT OUT AND REPAIR WIRE OR DO AN OVERLAY. THANKS FOR THE SCHEMATIC AND ALL THE HELP.
Are you shouting for joy? :)