9 mil 1911 suggestions

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
2 things I don't like about the Kimber full size 45 acp. One is the trigger. The stock Kimber trigger pulls way too hard. I fixed that with an aftermarket leaf spring and the recoil spring is too stiff necessitating a firm grip on the slide to put it in battery. Fixed that as well with again, an aftermarket spring.

In stock form it's a man's gun. No female could put it in battery and if they could, they'd have gorilla hands.
'
It's a good shooter but it don't like handloads unless the brass is FL sized.

Finally, Like my Les Baer, the Kimber is pretty steep in price. You get what you pay for though.

As a rule, I don't do 'small' pistols. The only small pistol I own is my Bond Snakeslayer derringer in 45LC/410. My concealed carry pocket cannon when going somewhere and I don't want the bulge of a full size handgun under my jacket.

I'm a magnum S&W revolver person. I like the Model 29, 44 RM long barrel revolver and I have a Smith 460 XVR revolver too with a 13" barrel. I carry my 44 in a DeSantis holster open. We have legal OC in this state.

Nothing commands more respect from disrespectful people than the sight of a hand cannon on the hip.

Like I maintain, 'An armed society is a polite society'....

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Just saw a deal posted at cabelas/basspro for a Springfield Armory 1911 Range Officer Elite Target (in 9mm) for $760. I'm so tempted...but I'm thinking of holding out for the Colt Competition in SS if they ever come back into stock.

Maybe I have to get them both? :unsure:

My last purchase thru cabelas was a total nightmare. I used my points to get a P365, ordered online and simply had to go to pick up my purchase from the store. It took approx 3.5 hours to finally walk out with it. Even though I didn't pay a cent out of pocket for it, the whole experience was excruciating...
I wouldn't buy a roll of used potty paper from Cabelas. I have a store about 4 miles from me and I don't go there, ever. I used to, even had a black card and then Dick Cabela sold out to Bass Pro and everything went down the toilet and quick. Foremost bank was sold and Capital One took the Cabelas card with their offshore call centers and broken English associates. No thanks. Besides, the Cabelas card has terrible rewards. All the 'Cabelas' clothing is imported from some Asian sweat shop and everything has 'Cabelas' sewn into it in big letters. They should give that stuff away for free advertising.

Cashed out the remainder of my points (bought a set of Walkers Game Ears), shredded the card and called it good. When I want a new piece, I support my local gun shop like I support my local Kubota dealer. Far as long guns go, everything I own now is custom built, for me. No production rifles here. John Pierce, Pierce Engineering builds all my long guns now.

IMO, they could declare bankruptcy tomorrow, wouldn't bother me at all.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
In stock form it's a man's gun. No female could put it in battery and if they could, they'd have gorilla hands.
My wife shoots and carries her Kimber Ultra Carry II and she does not have gorilla hands. I don't know which women you are shooting with but I think it sounds like they are little girls.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I wouldn't buy a roll of used potty paper from Cabelas.
IMO, they could declare bankruptcy tomorrow, wouldn't bother me at all.
I hear ya on Cabelas. I also have a black card (that is all I use) so I use the points for stuff I need. My last plastic pistol (Sig P365) was free including about 800 rounds of "food" using cabelas points. Other than the benefits of the points, I wouldn't purchase anything Cabelas either.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My wife shoots and carries her Kimber Ultra Carry II and she does not have gorilla hands. I don't know which women you are shooting with but I think it sounds like they are little girls.
My wife....

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I hear ya on Cabelas. I also have a black card (that is all I use) so I use the points for stuff I need. My last plastic pistol (Sig P365) was free including about 800 rounds of "food" using cabelas points. Other than the benefits of the points, I wouldn't purchase anything Cabelas either.
1% reward of Cabela (over priced in the first place merchandise) isn't a very good return on any card. Around here, the Kroger Mastercard is king. You get not only rewards for for merchandise bought other than in store (at Kroger), 1%, but in store points at 3 and 5% per dollar spent plus in store specials for card holders and a gasoline discount at their filling stations. I just had an 85 cents per gallon discount (limit 40 gallons) and I rend to use it all., my wifes 'Burb' holds 30 alone.

The one very important thing for me with a Kroger Mastercard (versus a Cabelas Mastercard) is, the Kroger card is from US Bank and their customer service is all domestic, whereas the Cabelas card service people are all offshore and speak with a heavy accent that is almost unintelligible '.

Not to sound racial, but I prefer talking to an agent who is an American and that I can understand because, at some point you will be dealing with an agent.

Wife just got Kroger coupons in the mail (they come quarterly) to the tune of 200 bucks, for food purchases in the store and she uses them because like you, we do have to eat. She also has a Kroger card but a separate account from me so we each accrue rewards.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My black card went through the shredder, long ago. 0 balance. I should cancel the card but I don't. It incurs them the expense of thermal forming a new one that I won't use anyway....lol

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Nerves got the best of me last night...ordered a Colt Competition SS.

Placed my order for 120 lbs of hard cast lead too...:)

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
First day on the range with the new Colt...I like it. Nice shooter.

Colt Taget.JPG
Colt Cmpetition SS 9mmJPG.JPG