6' Rock Rake for B2601?

keith204

Equipment
B2601
Mar 21, 2022
Missouri
I got our sloped yard all fixed up & grass planted before vacationing in Italy. While vacationing in Italy, a massive wind+rain+hail storm came through, damaged house/cars/etc, and more grievously - washed away the loose dirt & seed, leaving a bunch of rocks on the surface.

I can rent a 5' rock rake for $100/day.
I can buy a 6' rock rake from TSC for $1000.

Have B2601.

I might actually pay $100 just to not have an implement sitting around the yard.
But...having this implement sitting around the yard could be quite useful from time to time.

IMG_1001.JPG

Would a 6' rock rake help here?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I got our sloped yard all fixed up & grass planted before vacationing in Italy. While vacationing in Italy, a massive wind+rain+hail storm came through, damaged house/cars/etc, and more grievously - washed away the loose dirt & seed, leaving a bunch of rocks on the surface.

Have B2601.

I might actually pay $100 just to not have an implement sitting around the yard.
But...having this implement sitting around the yard could be quite useful from time to time.

View attachment 79065

Those rocks look a little small for a 3ph rock rake. It it were my yard I would do one of the following:
1. For a small area, hand rake with a leaf rake
2. For a large area, spread a thin layer of fine topsoil over the rocks

Reactions: 1 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
it's a little heavy on the shoulder, but they are super effective at getting rocks and debris out of grass or dirt/soil. Mine is a stihl, i don't use it often, but when I do it's a huge time saver and leaves excellent results behind.

Reactions: 1 user

keith204

Equipment
B2601
Mar 21, 2022
Missouri
Those rocks look a little small for a 3ph rock rake. It it were my yard I would do one of the following:
1. For a small area, hand rake with a leaf rake
2. For a large area, spread a thin layer of fine topsoil over the rocks
Good points.

I was hoping that it would collect the large rocks, while mixing/burying the small ones into the soil a bit. Any chances of that happening?

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
You just made me find my next toy!

NorthWest Orange

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Mar 20, 2022
Oregon

Have B2601.

View attachment 79065

Hello Keith,
I just received my Heavy Hitch and Landscape rake for my B2601 and I really like it so far.
I have a spare lot next to me that I really have a hard time mowing with my JD riding mower because the moles have left the yard looking like a bombed out area.
I’m talking maybe a hundred or more Huge mounds Every time I go to mow.
Well I finally decided to look into the Heavy Hitch brand rake.
The rake itself was $692.00 shipped To Oregon.
I just set the 3pt to just kiss the ground and level out those pesky mounds.
Nice quality and good people at Heavy Hitch, nice family business.
I can see where this 60” rake is a good fit for my Bota.
I have a ripper tooth as well.
You can see the two remotes on rear of the tractor that are waiting for the Fit-Rite Hydraulics Top N Tilt kit.
I’m at week #31 of a 30 week minimum stated waiting time.
Real close now ( I hope ).
Hope you find what you are looking for.
Sorry to hear about your unwelcome surprise when you returned home after Travling.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
power lawn broom
I got one of these attachments last year for one of our TroyBilt powerbeads to clear the little rocks off our yard after a season of clearing snow with the tractor and blower (gravel drive). As mentioned, they are effective however I would do it in shifts. It can be a decent workout lol.

One thing I noticed is you don't need a ton of throttle as the brush doesn't need to be at very high rpms to get the job done. Since it didn't need much throttle, I just raised the idle on the powerhead so I can move my hands around however I want.

It also does a good Spring de-thaching of the lawn, not that it was my goal per se

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Good points.

I was hoping that it would collect the large rocks, while mixing/burying the small ones into the soil a bit. Any chances of that happening?
IDK. I’ve never had a rake. I’ve looked at them and can see it wouldn’t be effective for those small rocks. How about a roller to press them into the ground.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The 'trick' with the landscape rake is in setting it up 'just right', snag the rocks and not the soil. Usually you'll see them with 'gauge wheels' on them for tractors that don't have active 3pt position control.
As long as the grounds pretty level, wheels are 'optional'. I built one in '77, did 5-6 acres one summer.
Once setup proper, you'll snag every rock or stone bigger than the 1" spacing of the tines

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
A rake without gauge wheels is nearly useless. As the tractor moves up/down in the slightest, the rake is going to go with it. However, a rake with hydraulic toplink, and (most importantly) gauge wheels is entirely different. It is my most used attachment. Fine grading, spreading dirt, rocks, ect, there isnt much that can beat it besides a harley rake.

If cleaning ¾" stone / contaminates from lawn, I would still pick the power broom.

Last edited: