540 PTO extension for hydraulic pump

Oo-v-oO

Equipment
2000 B7500
Oct 31, 2021
Central NH
I recently picked up a SpeeCo 3-point splitter originally made to run off the tractor's hydraulics but which had been converted by the PO to a standalone unit with a Prince PTO pump, oil reservoir, hoses, and filter. The seller did not have the Cub Cadet tractor it was used on on-site, so I didn't see it with the pump attached to the tractor.
Today I tried to connect the pump to my B7500 and while the pump did start to slide onto the shaft, not very much of it engaged before the pump body ran into hard points on the tractor and wouldn't go any further.
I did fire the tractor up and let it just idle so I could cycle the piston back and forth to verify it worked and I think with a little bit more engine speed it will work out very well.

I think a short 4 or 5 inch 6-spline extension will space the pump out far enough to allow full engagement, while not being too much extra leverage on the output shaft. I'd really rather keep it coupled directly to the output shaft, but I think the extension is the lesser of the two evils. Once I get it set in place I'll use a chain to a hard point on the Kubota to counter the torque applied to the pump body - the pump already has a bracket bolted on with a loop for this purpose.

Thoughts? I'm not new to hydraulics or mechanics, but haven't used a PTO pump before. I'm thinking the style with a spring pin to lock it onto the PTO shaft will be the best , shortest option.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: while the pump did start to slide onto the shaft, not very much of it engaged before the pump body ran into hard points on the tractor

You might want to take a good file to the PTO shaft and pump and 'clean up' the edges of the splines. There may be 'burrs or nicks preventing the two from mating. It doesn't take much,just a minor nick or curl.

Do you have anything, like a PTO shaft, to test the tractor's PTO shaft for 'fit'? It should go on silky smooth and all the way to the 'licking' section.

I'm guessing the pump is heavy and awkward,so you may get some exercise during this ordeal....

Reactions: 1 user

Oo-v-oO

Equipment
2000 B7500
Oct 31, 2021
Central NH
I can definitely see where the pump is contacting parts of the back of the tractor. Seems to slide on just fine until I get a "clunk" of the pump contacting the tractor. And yes, it is rather awkward worming it in there with the hoses connected and the splitter in the way. I believe this pump has a cast iron body so it weighs a full 16 oz. to the lb!

This is the only rear PTO implement I have, so far, so I don't have another item to test the fit.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I can definitely see where the pump is contacting parts of the back of the tractor. Seems to slide on just fine until I get a "clunk" of the pump contacting the tractor. And yes, it is rather awkward worming it in there with the hoses connected and the splitter in the way. I believe this pump has a cast iron body so it weighs a full 16 oz. to the lb!

This is the only rear PTO implement I have, so far, so I don't have another item to test the fit.
Yes, the Kubota PTO setup on many of their tractors lacks the clearance needed for those big Azz pumps. An extender should work fine. I would not worry too much about overhanging load. You can use a chain to support it if you think that is necessary.

Dan

Reactions: 2 users

Oo-v-oO

Equipment
2000 B7500
Oct 31, 2021
Central NH
Just to update this thread, I went with the simple male/female extension that locks onto the PTO output shaft to space the pump out, and so far it has been fine. I've used the splitter a fair amount and no issues so far. I did incorporate a bungee cord to help counterbalance some of the weight and the pump does move around a little bit on the clearance between the output shaft on the tractor and the adapter, but not enough to worry about.

Love the splitter and I have no shortage of PTO horsepower to run it. Love how it never even slows down as it plows through knots and dificult to split wood like a 2-stage pump would.

So, while I would have preferred to not use the shaft extension, it seems to have worked out well.

Reactions: 1 users

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
As far as i know, pretty much ALL pto-shaft-driven pumps wobble around, and that's fine as long as the body isn't hard mounted to anything and is allowed to move a bit. One thing to watch out for is the constant movement of the pump rubbing the hoses against a corner/edge if they happen to touch any. Could rub off the outside layer given enough time.

Glad you're happy with it!

Reactions: 1 user