5’ brush hog ok on LX2610?

JustinB60

Equipment
LX2610 w/LA535, QH15, PL1242
Mar 31, 2018
USA
Looking at brush hog for just cutting some 12” ish long grass that grows along our private road and also to expand my usable kids play area into the woods by clearing out some weeds (very few saplings, any over 1/2-1” I can take out by hand), think an Lx2610 can handle occasional use of a 5’ brush hog for this purpose?

also should I look for slip clutch version or just go with the pin style version? Anything else to lookout for in these, it’ll be the first one I’ve ever owned/run/purchased and my first PTO attachment ever. And lastly if there are no saplings at all (my canopy on woods is thick so not much besides weeds in underbrush) could I get away with just using a 5’ older used finish mower? I’ve seen those for around $400-700 used along with same size brush hogs and it might do better with long grass along roadway I guess?

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
The LX 2610 will handle a 5' rotary cutter with no problems, and it will do a lot more than just cutting some high grass. I bought the heavier duty LP (rated for 2 inch material) mostly because I wanted a slip clutch versus the pin. I have chopped up heavy weeds, big briars, small saplings and etc. without any reduction in PTO speed, but you will want to take big stuff slowly. I am reclaiming a field; therefore, I will regularly mow the areas (will never be big stuff again).

A finish mower can slowly handle high grass (presuming it is not also thick), but you run a real risk of damage from some concealed rock, big stick, stump and etc. Even though I had checked the field I mow carefully, I still hit a rock (Milky Quartz) with the rotary cutter. The rotary cutter shattered the rock into 100 pieces, and it did not even put a mark on the blade. I am sure it would have deformed a finish mower blade. I would not trust what is on the side of the road ever - you cannot know what will fall off a truck or get tossed by an idiot.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If I was looking to do mostly grass and weeds I would probably get a flail mower and not the rotary rough cut. Would not even think about the rear finish mower for what you described.

Rotary cutters stick back further, swing wider and hit trees while you are trying to avoid one in front of you, they also leave thick windrows in tall grass. Flail mower will mulch the cuttings more and leave the grass in a better condition and are shorter so more maneuverable in turning.

Could probably rent a rotary cutter if ever needed but not the flail mower.

Reactions: 1 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Looking at brush hog for just cutting some 12” ish long grass that grows along our private road and also to expand my usable kids play area into the woods by clearing out some weeds (very few saplings, any over 1/2-1” I can take out by hand), think an Lx2610 can handle occasional use of a 5’ brush hog for this purpose?

also should I look for slip clutch version or just go with the pin style version? Anything else to lookout for in these, it’ll be the first one I’ve ever owned/run/purchased and my first PTO attachment ever. And lastly if there are no saplings at all (my canopy on woods is thick so not much besides weeds in underbrush) could I get away with just using a 5’ older used finish mower? I’ve seen those for around $400-700 used along with same size brush hogs and it might do better with long grass along roadway I guess?
I sometimes use a 5' rough cut mower on my B3350.

Rarely any power issues but must have front weights.

Be advised that your lift is rated for 500 Lb. rough cut rotary mower and most 5' models exceed 500 Lbs.

Slip clutch vis a vis shear bolt is personal preference. Be advised that a slip clutch will corrosion lock within a season or two if it is not loosened and slipped annually. A locked slip clutch provides no protection to the tractor mechanism.

SDT

FarmerJohn

Equipment
LX2610SUHSD
Jan 25, 2021
NC
I have an LX2610SU with a 5’ Bush Hog rotary cutter. Bush Hog says approx weight is 500lb and the 3pt lifts it just fine. Great as ballast for bucket/forks work, too.

I recently used it to cut our pastures at 18-24” high grass and weeds and no windrows. You do have to be aware of the swing to avoid trees and to avoid missing spots on the turns.

I have also used it to clear out the underbrush along the edge of the woods and to take down small saplings. I’ve hit some large clumps of clay and plenty of sticks/branches. It makes a racket but I’ve never had it bog down or struggle on anything.

Take the time to set it up, making sure it’s level side to side and level or very slightly tilted front to back. If you do this, the cut quality is decent and you don’t end up with a ton of clumps.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
You can purchase a County Line light duty brush hog style mower at Tractor Supply cheaply. Thats what I have done. Works fine. I probably have had it 7 years and had no problems.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
If I was looking to do mostly grass and weeds I would probably get a flail mower

Flail mower will mulch the cuttings more and leave the grass in a better condition and are shorter so more maneuverable in turning.

Could probably rent a rotary cutter if ever needed but not the flail mower.
THIS ^
I have both a rotary (LP 1548) and a 48" chinesium flail. They are different tools for different jobs. The rotary does a great job in very thick brush, esp where there may be hidden hazards.

But Ive found once you have reclaimed your woods, thick grass and weeds fill in. In residential settings, the rotary cutter does a terrible job on overgrown (thigh high +) grass leaving windrows and a really bad cut. The flail, even with hammer blades, does a much better job in overgrown grass and weeds, leaving a cut that doesnt look half bad.

But the rotary cutter still has its place for thick brush and Id rather hit a stump, rock, or log with the rotary cutter than the flail.

Raymo853

Equipment
LX2610SU
Jun 26, 2019
Dorset, VA
I have been running a rusty green Frontier 48" on my LX2610. It has never bogged down and does not feel too heavy. Am very glad I did not go for a 60" cutter. Wider and longer would make maneuvering around my land so much harder.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
The old Woods M5-4 Dixie Cutter rotary mower behind my B2650 does just fine. It's said to weigh 480# in the manual. I just slow up forward speed in heavier brush. like anything 1" and over.

JustinB60

Equipment
LX2610 w/LA535, QH15, PL1242
Mar 31, 2018
USA
Thanks for the replies, lots of good info here for me to think through. I think I’m leaning toward a flail mower just due to maneuverability and the type of brush I will mostly be tackling (shouldn’t be too many stumps or rocks in it). If I come across a nice deal on a rotary cutter at least I have some info to go off of for what size to consider.

this is flail I’m considering, supposed to be good for 12-35HP, even on the 62” one, which the Lx2610 falls right in the middle of.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
One thing I did NOT mention is that the flail mower can NOT be backed into whatever you want to mow. You have to lift, back up, lower then mow forward.

The rotary cutter does not care forward, reverse or swinging it just cuts.