TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
So tell us the concern.
The "concern" is minimum high temperature high shear (HTHS) viscosity requirement is lower for the 0W40, 5W40, and 10W40 grades - 3.5 vs 3.9 cP.. The reason I used quotes is its not much of a real concern.

Based largely on advice here I went with the Rotella 5w40 on my 50 hr service.. I think I will switch to Valvoline Premium Blue for the upcoming 200 hr service:
  1. Cummins promotes it heavily and its easier to find.
  2. And FWIW unlike Shell the Valvoline 5W40 product data sheet has a published HTHS specification of 4.0 which puts it in the 15W40 range.

Pot stirred 😉

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I get -30C (with coolant block heater) to +30C starting temp range here in S Manitoba and the first few changes used the recommended 10w-30 Kubota oil, loath then as yet to use anything not explicitly recommended in the new tractor's maintenance manual.
I had read here of T6 5W-40 doing well in these engines. It turns out we had an old VW TDi (long since retired) that had thrived on t6 5w-40 and I had exactly 4L left in a 19L pail sitting there in the garage melee. In it went at the B2650s 400 hour service.
I certainly noticed "easier" cold starts, whether biting cold or around freezing, in that it quieted faster from the initial always present diesel rattle bang cold start noises. Idle smooths out and quiets faster.
And honestly the power and responsiveness using this oil compared to the Kubota 10-30 semi-synth seemed better.
Makes sense to me, with the lower start viscosity 5W vs 10W, and higher run temp viscosity 40W vs 30W.
"Coverage" is enhanced at both ends?
I'm hoping to hear from more knowledgeable on this, as oil can be a hot topic here and it's interesting to hear more from those better versed.
But the T6-5w-40 does a better job here in both heat and cold than the 10w-30. And I wouldn't go near a 15W- as starting temps don't go above freezing here in the morning for 6 months of the year.

Thanks for the report. This is what I was guessing but it's good to hear from the trenches. I'm not as worried about sheering at higher temps as some. As an acreage owner (vs a real farmer) I don't really push my equipment for long periods during the summer. Mowing pasture once a year is the only extended use it gets when temps are high. And if it's stupid hot I'll just do that another day to take it easy on me, but the tractor benefits. (Also, I'm going to add "garage melee" to my vocabulary. May expand it to "barn melee" and "shed melee", but I'm going to use it)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I'm not as worried about sheering at higher temps as some.
Don't mistake my comments for worry. I am not at all worried just pointing out the higher VI does not come without side effects as reflected in the viscosity standard. That's why 15W40 has been the industry standard for heay duty diesel engine use. That is changing as advances in petro-chemistry improve performance.

My twin turbo BMW sees far more demanding conditions than my L3901 diesel and the BMW has been fed Mobil 1 0W40 for over a decade. I am a big proponent of 0Wxx and 5Wxx grades in any machine operated at temps below 0C.

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Don't mistake my comments for worry. I am not at all worried just pointing out the higher VI does not come without side effects as reflected in the viscosity standard. That's why 15W40 has been the industry standard for heay duty diesel engine use. That is changing as advances in petro-chemistry improve performance.

My twin turbo BMW sees far more demanding conditions than my L3901 diesel and the BMW has been fed Mobil 1 0W40 for over a decade. I am a big proponent of 0Wxx and 5Wxx grades in any machine operated at temps below 0C.

Dan
Not worried. I should have said that it was "less of a concern for me" due to my typical usage. If somebody needed to worry about such issues, is ain't me.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska

Dan
Sounds good!

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I hate to say it, but maybe Wally knows best? Or at least what sells where? The 5-40 was on the shelves at the Wally World here. There was at least as much 15-40, but the 5-40 was available. Mine calls for 10W-30 but I don't even know if 5W was a (common) thing when they built it 12 or so years ago. I know I've started using multi-grade on air cooled engines, which was a big no-no when I was younger. It seems to be OK?
I've often wondered how much longer air cooled engines would have lasted had multi-grade oil been used. I'd venture at least 2x. I recall 30w oil being thick as honey coming from can when weather was cold. Every 4 stroke I own gets 15w-40 year round (Central Texas).