4X4 Indicator

The_Wingnut

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060, ZD21, ZD28, ZD331, RTV X1100C, Branson 3820, JD 1020, JD 50
Dec 8, 2021
Tyner, NC
My Grand L4060 and from what I can understand most, if not all, 4X4 Orange Tractors don't have an indicator light on the dash for when the 4X4 is engaged. Has anyone been able to add this feature to your tractor? At a minimum is there a medallion that will fit in the 4X4 lever knob that shows direction for engaging the 4X4? Seems to me this is an obvious manufacture missing part.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I know because of what I am about to write and my personal writing style it may very well come off as sounding sarcastic, but I am telling you that I am NOT writing it with that frame of mind.

On all my cars and bikes, they are standard transmissions. There are no lights on the dashes (or anywhere) to tell me what gear I am in.

On my very tiny baby tractor (compared to your beast) there is a small lever down towards my right knee to indicate whether I have it pushed forward or back (4wd vs 2wd) . I don't see the need for a light on a dash.

All that being said (not sarcastically I remind all readers), if I personally saw a specific need, what I would do is go into my junk box (that might very well be digikey, electrosonic or newark for some of you) and buy a microswitch with a long lever/tab on it with an almost microscopic wheel/bearing on the tip.
I'd affix this near wherever the 4wd lever is on my tractor so that the last 1/4" or so of travel will close the switch. Then I'd run a wire to a bulb (or LED) up somewhere on the dash or above my forehead (if a cabbed version) and have the switch make/break 12v+ for me.

Very easy.

Now, if the Grand L doesn't use a mechanical lever for 4wd engagement, then all bets are off and my post was likely almost useless to you.

Reactions: 3 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: digikey and electrosonic
When I was ordering electronic parts, to the tune of 10-12K per month, I could order SAME thing from both BUT parts from Digikey came over night CHEAPER( going through CDN customs too ) than from Electrosonic. Hmm..Digikey is in MN(south of Manitoba), Electrosonic 40 miles from me....

The problem with any light bulb style 'indicator' is you really need 'confirmation' that switch is in correct position,wiring intact and that the 'light' isn't burned out, either of which leads to wrong status.
BTW , I prefer hall effect or similar 'non contact' switches NOT a 'mechanical lever ' switch.

Reactions: 1 user

The_Wingnut

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2021
Tyner, NC
I know because of what I am about to write and my personal writing style it may very well come off as sounding sarcastic, but I am telling you that I am NOT writing it with that frame of mind.

On all my cars and bikes, they are standard transmissions. There are no lights on the dashes (or anywhere) to tell me what gear I am in.

On my very tiny baby tractor (compared to your beast) there is a small lever down towards my right knee to indicate whether I have it pushed forward or back (4wd vs 2wd) . I don't see the need for a light on a dash.

All that being said (not sarcastically I remind all readers), if I personally saw a specific need, what I would do is go into my junk box (that might very well be digikey, electrosonic or newark for some of you) and buy a microswitch with a long lever/tab on it with an almost microscopic wheel/bearing on the tip.
I'd affix this near wherever the 4wd lever is on my tractor so that the last 1/4" or so of travel will close the switch. Then I'd run a wire to a bulb (or LED) up somewhere on the dash or above my forehead (if a cabbed version) and have the switch make/break 12v+ for me.

Very easy.

Now, if the Grand L doesn't use a mechanical lever for 4wd engagement, then all bets are off and my post was likely almost useless to you.
No sarcasm perceived, spot on optic.

With my tractor the manual lever is down on the left side, about lower calf height and not easily seen from the seat. The lever travel is short also and it doesn't easily show that it's engaged. The problem I have is I engage the 4X4 while using in soft conditions and then forget (memory loss as I get older...lol) to disengage when I head home on the roadway. I find it frustrating that I subject my tractor to having the front axle engaged on the highway, it has to be hard on the drive train, or maybe harder than I'd like for it to be.

I have already put thought to a microswitch I was just checking to see if anyone had already figured out the details or maybe even a better way.

Thanks for your response, always good to get feedback and a different opinion. Sometimes the obvious needs to be said, that doesn't make it sarcastic.

Reactions: 1 users

The_Wingnut

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2021
Tyner, NC
re: digikey and electrosonic
When I was ordering electronic parts, to the tune of 10-12K per month, I could order SAME thing from both BUT parts from Digikey came over night CHEAPER( going through CDN customs too ) than from Electrosonic. Hmm..Digikey is in MN(south of Manitoba), Electrosonic 40 miles from me....

The problem with any light bulb style 'indicator' is you really need 'confirmation' that switch is in correct position,wiring intact and that the 'light' isn't burned out, either of which leads to wrong status.
BTW , I prefer hall effect or similar 'non contact' switches NOT a 'mechanical lever ' switch.
I must admit had to google "hall effect switch"...learned something today. I have seen them in use but didn't know what they were called. Looks like they would be less likely to fail when used in my scenario. Thanks for the feedback.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Seems to me if I remember correctly, Paul Short installed one on his 40 series. He and Kathy are super nice and helpful. He will answer emails if you reach out to him. If anyone would know how it would be him. IF you get him to offer something please let us know. A mechanical "flag" would even be ok with me.

I feel your pain on such an obvious overthought by Kubota.

Good luck.

https://www.specialtyrepairscustommods.com/

The_Wingnut

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2021
Tyner, NC
Seems to me if I remember correctly, Paul Short installed one on his 40 series. He and Kathy are super nice and helpful. He will answer emails if you reach out to him. If anyone would know how it would be him. IF you get him to offer something please let us know. A mechanical "flag" would even be ok with me.

I feel your pain on such an obvious overthought by Kubota.

Good luck.

https://www.specialtyrepairscustommods.com/
Thanks, I have seen some of his YouTube videos, he's a talented man. I will reach out to him and keep you posted.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
My M5660 has a spot in the instrument panel for a light (you can see it when the ambient light is just right). Most likely my IP is used on other models that have a light wired in to that icon.

The_Wingnut

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2021
Tyner, NC
1686162890817.png

This is the 4X4 lever hopefully you can see that it is a very short throw, up and down so not easy to tell if engaged or not. Also the orange knob has no medallion to provide information for engaged or not. I know it's on the sticker behind the lever but noway can it be seen from the seat. I have used it enough that I'm familuar with when down engaged up disengaged but it would be nice to have an insert for on the knob for infrequent users.

The_Wingnut

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2021
Tyner, NC
My M5660 has a spot in the instrument panel for a light (you can see it when the ambient light is just right). Most likely my IP is used on other models that have a light wired in to that icon.
Hmmm, I'll try to see if that is on mine too. If it is there may be a way to access it for ilumination after adding a switch. Thanks!

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
View attachment 104468

This is the 4X4 lever hopefully you can see that it is a very short throw, up and down so not easy to tell if engaged or not. Also the orange knob has no medallion to provide information for engaged or not. I know it's on the sticker behind the lever but noway can it be seen from the seat. I have used it enough that I'm familuar with when down engaged up disengaged but it would be nice to have an insert for on the knob for infrequent users.
Wow- yes, I see exactly what you're talking about. I'd have to stop the machine and try to bend over to get a real good look at that (probably putting on my bifocals in the process-LOL) It's way easier on my minimachine (BX2380) to merely glance down to the right and see in an instant whether I am in 2wheel or 4 wheel.

Lots of good ideas so far.

Seems like something Kubota could've easily installed on all our machines for $5-$10(or whatever) (their costs)

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
The 80s era M5030 had a 4x4 light. Worked for over 30 years. Had parking brake lamp too.
IMG_0487.jpeg

Added parking brake light to B26. Bracket for motorcycle rear switch already built under dash.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
No sarcasm perceived, spot on optic.

With my tractor the manual lever is down on the left side, about lower calf height and not easily seen from the seat. The lever travel is short also and it doesn't easily show that it's engaged. The problem I have is I engage the 4X4 while using in soft conditions and then forget (memory loss as I get older...lol) to disengage when I head home on the roadway. I find it frustrating that I subject my tractor to having the front axle engaged on the highway, it has to be hard on the drive train, or maybe harder than I'd like for it to be.

I have already put thought to a microswitch I was just checking to see if anyone had already figured out the details or maybe even a better way.

Thanks for your response, always good to get feedback and a different opinion. Sometimes the obvious needs to be said, that doesn't make it sarcastic.
This has come up before. The knob on my L35 is down by my left ankle, not exactly in a normal control scan area. I bought an LED indicator from Amazon, but haven't installed it. I'd also like a voltmeter and need to make my neutral interlocks functional.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
View attachment 104468

That’s the same place my old GrandL has the front axle engagement lever too. The symbols are too small for me to see well. I’m sort of simple, so on my L, the surrounding sheet metal is orange, so I wrote 2WD and 4WD with a black sharpie on either side (above/below) of the lever for an easy confirmation when I look down at my left ankle. On yours either a white paint pen or an adhesive backed pair of labels could do the same thing.

With all the dash lights, it is indeed odd Kubota hasn’t included an “extra” dash light for this function in over 20 years. It’s not like they are trying to economize less than probably $5 or 10 to hit a price point with the GrandL series.
8ECE6754-19A6-4122-94F3-FAFE899594F6.jpeg

Last edited:

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I also find it a bit frustrating on my L4400. First off as stated above by @The_Wingnut the throw is ridiculously short, like maybe an inch, two at the very most and it can be difficult to tell/remember what its in.

A light would certainly be a welcome addition.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I am not trying to be a smart Alex but if it’s simply a matter of jogging your memory to disengage 4 wheel drive before road use etc this might be a simple no frills reminder. Of course it would be a ribbon that said “4 wheel drive engaged”. It would be stored or wrapped around the engagement lever and when 4 wheel drive engaged, move to an easily seen location up by the instrument cluster. If it was placed on the engagement lever in such a way you would feel it when engaging and prompt you to move to instrument cluster area.

You could also print “ pull up for 4 wheel drive” or whatever the case is.

Just a thought.
IMG_8621.jpeg

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
I agree with the O.P. My X1100c RTV has the 4x4 light. My L4760 does not. Fortunately I operate 95% on soft turf and it won't damage anything if I forget to shift out of 4wd. I do notice when I pull in and out of my concrete floor storage building. My fancy display with tons of screens and features should show 4x4 engaged. First world problem for sure.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I use the 4WD lever position as my indicator. Hard to miss.

I want to wire a parking brake alarm to sound if I try driving with my brake on. The M59 control panel is on the fender behind the operator station and hard to see the parking brake warning light.

The_Wingnut

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2021
Tyner, NC
I am not trying to be a smart Alex but if it’s simply a matter of jogging your memory to disengage 4 wheel drive before road use etc this might be a simple no frills reminder. Of course it would be a ribbon that said “4 wheel drive engaged”. It would be stored or wrapped around the engagement lever and when 4 wheel drive engaged, move to an easily seen location up by the instrument cluster. If it was placed on the engagement lever in such a way you would feel it when engaging and prompt you to move to instrument cluster area.

You could also print “ pull up for 4 wheel drive” or whatever the case is.

Just a thought.
View attachment 104488
You know that's actually a very good idea! I could use a carabiner to attach with for easy relocation. Thanks!

The_Wingnut

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2021
Tyner, NC
That’s the same place my old GrandL has the front axle engagement lever too. The symbols are too small for me to see well. I’m sort of simple, so on my L, the surrounding sheet metal is orange, so I wrote 2WD and 4WD with a black sharpie on either side (above/below) of the lever for an easy confirmation when I look down at my left ankle. On yours either a white paint pen or an adhesive backed pair of labels could do the same thing.

With all the dash lights, it is indeed odd Kubota hasn’t included an “extra” dash light for this function in over 20 years. It’s not like they are trying to economize less than probably $5 or 10 to hit a price point with the GrandL series. View attachment 104517
I like the idea of writing in large size for direction and function....Thanks!