48" Rotary Cutter on L2501?

Eesquibel

Equipment
L2501 Hst
May 8, 2020
New Mexico
About to buy a new l2501 hst and dealer doesn't have any more 60" cutters. Instead he included a 48" in my quote. When I asked him about it, he said it will work just fine and I wont miss having a 60". He said it will actually bog the tractor less in heavy stuff. He also wrote up a 54" box blade since hes out of 60s on that also. Should I not be concerned about the smaller equipment?

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
Hold out for what you want, otherwise you'll regret it. That tra tor shouldn't have any trouble with the 60"!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
48 won't cover your tracks.

Bill Groom

Equipment
B7100 HST
Apr 2, 2019
N.E. Ohio
I would not take less than 60" implements, and would find another dealer. He is looking to clear his inventory instead of taking care of a customer. I would walk away from him.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

bucktail

Equipment
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I run a 48 inch with my 15 hp L1500. I have to take it slow but it covers the tracks.

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
I agree 60 or nothing might even look at 66***8221; box blade

Last edited:

bucktail

Equipment
Jun 13, 2016
MN
5 foot implements are abundant in the used market around here. Might be different where you are.

Eesquibel

Equipment
L2501 Hst
May 8, 2020
New Mexico
You don't want to piss off your dealer, he'll "find" a 60" mower but will charge you extra shipping costs. You also, don't want that tractor with a little 4' mower (unless you don't have much to mow, 4 ac or so...).

How's the used market out there? You would take a bath trying to sell the 4 footer... Any other dealers in other towns??
What did I do that would piss my dealer off?

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
You don't want a dealer like that after the sale, even if you bought from him. He is doing a dis-service to you by dumping old inventory that is not optimum for your machine. He'll rip you off again later. The drive to another dealer is worth it in this case.

Backing out of the deal because of the 4 footer... or threaten him to walk out the door because of of the mower. Dealers around here get a chip on their shoulder if you buy the tractor somewhere else but bring it to him for warranty work... Just saying...

Eesquibel

Equipment
L2501 Hst
May 8, 2020
New Mexico
Backing out of the deal because of the 4 footer... or threaten him to walk out the door because of of the mower. Dealers around here get a chip on their shoulder if you buy the tractor somewhere else but bring it to him for warranty work... Just saying...
I could see that. How do recommend I handle the predicament? Should I just take it as it is and make do with the 4'

Eesquibel

Equipment
L2501 Hst
May 8, 2020
New Mexico
I could see that. How do recommend I handle the predicament? Should I just take it as it is and make do with the 4'

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
This is kind of a bizarre thread. I don't understand about pissing off the dealer. Is he that big of a jerk? If telling him you want a 5 foot cutter upsets him, then perhaps you should go elsewhere. I just don't think it would. Tell him the guys on the forum says the L2501 will run a 5 footer just fine.

You have the quote. Personally, I would not buy a cutter from the dealer and deduct the price of the cutter. If you are receiving a discount by adding an implement, get something else you know you will use. Like Bucktail said, there are ton of 5 foot cutters to be had on the cheap around here. 6 footers, not so much.

I would buy the tractor and buy a used cutter and save some money. A 4 foot cutter isn't that wide. My lawnmower is 48 inches.

Dealers are human too. Often times, they have reasons for saying what they do. It may not necessarily be sinister. My dealer convinced me to not get remotes. What his reason was, who can say. In retrospect, I sort of wished I had, although I don't know if I will ever use them though. If I was really sure I wanted/needed them, I would have said I want them. He most likely would have said OK and added it to my quote.

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
Wait a minute! You are the boss here not the dealer. Tell him you will not buy a 48" undersized for your tractor rotary cutter. Either have him find you a 60" or tell him you'll buy elsewhere. He will find you one or he is not worth ever talking to again. If you do buy elsewhere do not take your warranty work to this guy either. Go back to the seller even if it's a few hours. I doubt you'll need service unless you don't change your own oil etc.

ki4dog

Equipment
L2501, Loader, DH1060, Titan 1205 rotary cutter, Titan pallet forks, TERYX
May 30, 2020
Kingston, TN
I know this thread is getting some age on it, but this may help someone searching. I just went through the same thing in reverse with the RC. I thought I needed a 48in due to the 5hp per foot guide. Dealer convinced me that I needed the 60in, and he was right. The dealer may be thinking of this guide, but I suspect in this case they're not doing you any favors.

Eesquibel

Equipment
L2501 Hst
May 8, 2020
New Mexico
I know this thread is getting some age on it, but this may help someone searching. I just went through the same thing in reverse with the RC. I thought I needed a 48in due to the 5hp per foot guide. Dealer convinced me that I needed the 60in, and he was right. The dealer may be thinking of this guide, but I suspect in this case they're not doing you any favors.
Thank you, since my original post I’ve purchased a 60” rc and it works great

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Order the equipment from Everything Attachments, Tractor Supply, Rural King or another dealer if he will not supply you with what you need. Yes the 0% is nice but if you do not get what you need tell him to pound sand. Tell him you will wait for his order of 5 foot equipment to arrive. Or walk away.

Or ask another salesman at the dealership. Maybe you just have a poor salesman and the rest of the dealership is ok.

He has no power over you. It is your money and you need to assert your wish to the dealer. If this is a salesman then ask for the owner. Do not play their games. You are the boss.

I am sure there are dealers that will ship a tractor and equipment to you from out of the area for a sale.