4-foot box blade for my BX1870

ZoomZoom71

Oct 25, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Hi all,

I'm researching box blades for my BX1870. It's going to be Dual purpose, as I also want to use the box blade as counterweight, not just leveling dirt. Will a "standard" duty 48" box blade be appropriate for my tractor? I've seen an economy version, but those are only ~200lbs, whereas the standard versions seem to be in the ~350lb range. I know my 3PH is of the limited-Cat1 variety, so does that preclude me from using a standard Cat1 box blade?

rtgt

Equipment
B3200
Jul 30, 2015
Kentucky
The Limited Cat 1 attachments have the lift pins mounted lower so that your hitch will be able to lift it to a normal height.

A regular Cat 1 implement will attach but you will likely not be able to lift it as high. This can be an issue if you have uneven ground or a steep ramp to a trailer. Shorting the top link can get you some more height for loading but doesn't always work depending on the slope.

I would test drive a Cat 1 implement first.

As far as using the BB as rear ballast, that is what I do. I added suitcase weights to mine so that I can increase the weight since a normal BB really isn't heavy enough for proper ballast, especially with heavy FEL loads.

millsan1

Equipment
BX25D, SGC05, 4' Box Blade, 6' rake, 6' blade, Titan BX42 Chipper
I have a 48" box blade on my 25D.

Useful tool, but I would not rely on it, exclusively, as a counter weight. Of course, I am comparing it to the backhoe, which weighs 900 ish pounds, so a little unfair, but this is my opinion.

That being said, I do love having the box blade, it is a very useful tool.

millsan1

Equipment
BX25D, SGC05, 4' Box Blade, 6' rake, 6' blade, Titan BX42 Chipper
NO issues at all, I can raise the box high enough to clear anything I might drive over.

I've used it to grade gravel drives and it works very well for that. Have also used it to clear out some rough areas of dirt, and again, works well.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have a Landpride BB1548 box scraper that I use on my BX 1860, It weighs 382 pounds so it is enough counter weight for anything that the BX1860 or BX1870 can do. It is also a very useful tool for leveling my garden and spreading new garden mix into the garden plot. I also use the shanks to break up the soil before I use the bottom plow blade to cut the furrows for planting. I have the owners manual for the BB1548 but it is too large to upload on this forum. I have attached a word document copy of the specs though.

One more thing to note, I use the Harbor Freight quick hitch with this. The quick hitch allows me to lift the box scraper a little higher than just using the 3 point.

Attachments

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
The 1248 will work, skip the 0548 as it is lighter and cost more. I found out the hard way, fortunately the dealer is working with me to change to a 1254 version. No cost so can't complain.

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
I have the BB1248, weighs 316 lbs, works good. I mostly use it for gravel road maintenance. Great counterweight too, I have moved 3 tandems of fill-17 tons each with no problems. Granted my backhoe weighs 617 lbs but its mostly off and siiting in the shed and the BB is way easier to hookup. I gave $500 new from the dealer 3 years ago.

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Good to hear the 12 series works well, they still run about $500 from the dealer. I am debating on a quick hitch or Pat's version to ease the attachment swapping.

ZoomZoom71

Oct 25, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Thanks for the info, folks. I emailed my dealer sales rep last night, asking for model numbers, specs, and prices, on what they have. When I SPOKE to him last week, the Land Pride 4-ft they priced me was about $675, but they didn't say what model number it was.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Thanks for the info, folks. I emailed my dealer sales rep last night, asking for model numbers, specs, and prices, on what they have. When I SPOKE to him last week, the Land Pride 4-ft they priced me was about $675, but they didn't say what model number it was.
When I bought my box blade about 2 years ago I paid about $700 after delivery and tax. You should ask your dealer for the model number and if he includes delivery or if he does not include delivery will he load it for you.

As a side note, the size that you should be looking for to fit your tractor model is the 48 inch wide one. I have a BX 1860 which is just an earlier model tractor but the same engine and HP as yours. There are a couple of times that I was using my box blade and it bit off more dirt than the tractor was able to pull. The tires started to spin and I had to back up and start over not taking such a big bite so to speak. The bottom line is that the 48 inch wide model is the "right size" for your tractor. Don't get tempted to go larger. I predict that if you go larger than the 48" model that you will not enjoy working with your box blade.

One more thing; if you did not already plan to get a quick hitch, I strongly suggest that you do so. It is unbelievably easier to put that thing on your tractor with the quick hitch. It is literally just back up to it and align your quick hitch to the pins and lock it on. It took longer to type this than to hook up the box blade with a quick hitch. Remember, you are working with almost 400 pounds of dead weight and trying to put that thing on the 3 point without a quick hitch is frustrating and really hard labor.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Here it is!
What model is that? It looks like my BB1548 (except the color) but most of then look the same in a picture.

I have one comment about what appears to be your shop[ or garage. It is too neat and clean. You are either just a very neat person or you have someone that cleans up for you.

ZoomZoom71

Oct 25, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
That's actually the BB1248. It's about 320lbs. My neighbor has a ~3ft section of railroad iron that he's giving me, and I'll affix that to the back, if I ever need it.

Re: the garage, that's actually "my" section of the 3-car attached garage; the single car garage. That's where I've been keeping my BX, but it's temporarily being kept under a 10x14 carport at the back of my property. I don't have the depth in the garage to keep it there, if I have the BB and FEL attached, because my mower deck is laying flat on the floor in front of a work bench at the head. I'll have to make a fancy, upright storage cart for the deck, I guess. LoL

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
That's actually the BB1248. It's about 320lbs. My neighbor has a ~3ft section of railroad iron that he's giving me, and I'll affix that to the back, if I ever need it.

Re: the garage, that's actually "my" section of the 3-car attached garage; the single car garage. That's where I've been keeping my BX, but it's temporarily being kept under a 10x14 carport at the back of my property. I don't have the depth in the garage to keep it there, if I have the BB and FEL attached, because my mower deck is laying flat on the floor in front of a work bench at the head. I'll have to make a fancy, upright storage cart for the deck, I guess. LoL
I would not build a fancy cart to store my implements. I am a man and I claim my rightful 75% of the garage space. Cars do not belong. Just tools, tractor, implements that are used weekly and garage beer. If you mention any of what I just wrote to my wife I'll hunt you down and block your wife's car in from leaving the garage.

I hope that you realize that I am just pulling your leg a little. Really though, you should have a talk with your wife about giving you more garage space. Now that you have another implement you need more space. Just tell her that if you keep your implements outside then the gators have a place to hide and you really want to keep the yard safe for her. Its all about how the sale is made.

ZoomZoom71

Oct 25, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Haha! That's great advice. :D I do need to do some rearranging in there, in all honesty. I have two generators that could be kept in my shed, which also needs to be thinned out and organized. Too many projects, not enough time. LoL