3rd Function for Dirt Auger on an L2501 w/BH77 Backhoe

NetMagi

Equipment
BX25D (sold), L2501HST w/BH77 Backhoe
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
What I thought would be an easy problem to solve has me wondering what I'm getting myself into.

I'm looking to pickup an auger for the SSQA on my L2501 and I know I need a 3rd-function kit to power the hydraulic motor.

Seems I have two things stacked against me here though:

1) I have a backhoe, which appears to interfere with where/how the kits attach, and I'll need different hose(s)

2) Most 3rd function kits appear to recommend AGAINST using continuous duty implements like an auger.

Obviously it's not going to run nonstop, maybe 1-3 minutes at a time, but that's still quite different than 1-3 seconds like on a grapple.

What kit/hoses can anyone recommend that will work with my backhoe (BH77) and will function for an auger?

Njtool

Equipment
Lx2610 HSDC. BH77 backhoe
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
I have an LX2610 with a BH77 backhoe and a kubota 3rd function. I have a Digga DDD auger that attaches to my FEL.

I had the dealer install the 3rd function and I wasn’t aware of any issues of compatibility with the backhoe hydro lines.

I also haven’t noticed any issues with using the 3rd function on continuous run. And I haven’t heard of anyone having issues, even though I’ve read it’s not recommended. I believe the problem could be overheating of the unit or oil. But an auger usually only runs for a minute at a time.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I have a hydraulic auger that I have drilled literally thousands of holes with on my B2650. Many here will tell you it won't run. It won't bore through rock, but it drills holes just fine.

I also wired in a wireless remote control to my 3rd remotes for mixing cement with the same auger. Still no issues.

NetMagi

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
thanks for the replies

I found this on Messicks that appears to show the alternate hyd plumbing if you have a BH:

It looks to me like it's just in-line on the return side instead of the feed side of the loader circuit, but still uses the same hose parts.

This thread on TBN shows yet a different routing to keep it on the feed side:

Not sure if there's a benefit to either method.

I made a few calls today to inquire on an SA20 auger, but the lead time was next spring :/

The auger torque 1200 looks like a nice unit as well and the flow range is applicable to an L2501:

Waiting to hear back from their distributor on lead times. Who else makes an auger that will run in the 6 gpm range?

Njtool

Equipment
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
thanks for the replies

I found this on Messicks that appears to show the alternate hyd plumbing if you have a BH:

It looks to me like it's just in-line on the return side instead of the feed side of the loader circuit, but still uses the same hose parts.

I made a few calls today to inquire on an SA20 auger, but the lead time was next spring :/

The auger torque 1200 looks like a nice unit as well and the flow range is applicable to an L2501:

Waiting to hear back from their distributor on lead times. Who else makes an auger that will run in the 6 gpm range?
Contact Everything Attachments. I bought a Digga DDD, rated for 6-12gpm
I had it with a month.

Njtool

Equipment
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
Contact Everything Attachments. I bought a Digga DDD, rated for 6-12gpm
I had it with a month.
thanks for the replies

37C94EE3-A16E-4C1C-9CE0-4AFA311EDF07.jpeg

Attachments

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
You could also rent one for now until yours comes in....I rented one for some 18 inch concrete piers for mine, easy to transport, easy to use.

NetMagi

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
Called 5 different places and they all basically said 'next spring' for the land pride unit.

I looked at several other models and tried to find them in stock:

Auger Torque: X1500 - 5-13gpm, 1015-2973 PSI, 377-1103 ft-lb
Belltec LC150 - 6-15gpm, 1500lb torque @ 3000psi
Lowe 500 Classic - 5-15gpm

Couldn't find any in stock anywhere that would commit to a ship date. Some even said 'in stock' until I asked when they would ship :/

I ultimately found a china import locally from a place I've dealt with before. It's so cheap that I don't want to even post the number here. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Claims to be planetary with high torque figures and comes with two auger bits.

Also have the land-pride 3rd function on the way with flat-front fittings.

NetMagi

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
Ended up working surprisingly well. This is with a 12" bit:

I am NOT as fat as this shirt makes me look when it hangs like that, but my shorts ARE every bit as trashy as they look :)

Reactions: 1 user

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
The Auger Torque unit that I have spins faster than that one, I wonder how the torque compares.

I ended up making my mount because the "centered" design that is great on the skid steer left me without being able to see the drill tip from the seat. I have a friend that owns a fence company and I literally drill hundreds of holes for him so being able to see the tip from the seat was important and being able to get close to an edge was important. I have 2 mounts in each top corner for the drill right or left, and a mount on the bottom center for the mixer setup.

nice-pool.jpg

milford-1a.jpg

tight-hole.jpg

derry-nh-post-holes-2.jpg

NetMagi

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
The Auger Torque unit that I have spins faster than that one, I wonder how the torque compares.

I ended up making my mount because the "centered" design that is great on the skid steer left me without being able to see the drill tip from the seat. I have a friend that owns a fence company and I literally drill hundreds of holes for him so being able to see the tip from the seat was important and being able to get close to an edge was important. I have 2 mounts in each top corner for the drill right or left, and a mount on the bottom center for the mixer setup.

View attachment 62684

View attachment 62685

View attachment 62686

View attachment 62689
Yeh, it spins slow. I pulled my footage into premiere and calc'd actual speed from frames. Looks to be just over 23 RPM.

It does seem quite torquey though . Managed to break one of the teeth when I stalled it on a big rock. If I was doing a LOT of holes, I think I would want something faster, but I'd probably just get a skid steer to run one if was running them all the time for $$$.

I put 10 holes in yesterday at 4' deep for my neighbor, and it seemed to work pretty well. At a low qty, I think the low speed seems ok and maybe even good given my limited experience and all the rock here. I would run each hole 3x. First time down to ~36" and lift out and dump off soil next to hole, then twice to 48" to get as much dirt out of the hole as possible, lifting straight out and dumping off both times. I'd end up leaving ~8" of loose soil on the bottom.

Curious how that compares to how you run, as I have basically no experience.

Would also love to see more pics of that mixer setup.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Yeh, it spins slow. I pulled my footage into premiere and calc'd actual speed from frames. Looks to be just over 23 RPM.

It does seem quite torquey though . Managed to break one of the teeth when I stalled it on a big rock. If I was doing a LOT of holes, I think I would want something faster, but I'd probably just get a skid steer to run one if was running them all the time for $$$.

I put 10 holes in yesterday at 4' deep for my neighbor, and it seemed to work pretty well. At a low qty, I think the low speed seems ok and maybe even good given my limited experience and all the rock here. I would run each hole 3x. First time down to ~36" and lift out and dump off soil next to hole, then twice to 48" to get as much dirt out of the hole as possible, lifting straight out and dumping off both times. I'd end up leaving ~8" of loose soil on the bottom.

Curious how that compares to how you run, as I have basically no experience.

Would also love to see more pics of that mixer setup.
I have never broken a tooth but I have worn out at least a dozen of them (As soon as the outside edge wears to the flange, flip them over and run them again until both sides are round ;) ).

It is funny that you mention the skid steer. My friend that owns the fence company has one. Most skid steers weigh 3 times what the tractor does and really tear a yard up making all those small turns so he doesn't use it very often. Some jobs wouldn't matter (like the paddocs) but most of them would.

At WOT I get 48-49 auger RPM at 1500RPM I get 33 RPM on the mixer (perfect for mud).

For me it is all about seeing the bit/hole. Technique will vary greatly up here. We have from sandy (I have done 50 12in holes in an hour) to granite - we are the Granite State (zero holes per hour) and everything in-between. Also each job is a little different. Some you don't want any shake away from the hole so you let it stack around it, some they don't want the shake too close etc. Undoubtedly though, I have gotten better at it so there is obviously a learning curve there somewhere that I wasn't paying attention to.

I made the mixer attachment myself using a HF bowl. I added the wireless control using a universal programmable wireless control from Amazon (20.00). For small concrete batches (a pallet or less) or any job where it needs to be carried a ways, it is hard to beat.

drum.jpg

drum4.jpg

auger-cradle5.jpg

kubota-wireless.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

NetMagi

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
it's a fair point on the skid steer. I went from a BX to an L2501 because while I liked the size of the BX, I didn't like it's limitations. The L2501 *FEELS* huge, but still comes up short on occasions where I know a skid steer would do a better job. Thing is, even with it's significant weight with the backhoe on, I can drive the L2501 anywhere on my yard without damage, even the day after a heavy rain. If I traded the L for a skid steer, I'd end up never using it cuz I wouldn't want to tear up the yard.

First world problems :)

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Slow as it may be its still better than the Everything Attachments 3 point mounted unit I have . Lacking down pressure its just about worthless in my somewhat rocky soil. I consider that a good setup/result for most homeowners/small farmer types like myself.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Slow as it may be its still better than the Everything Attachments 3 point mounted unit I have . Lacking down pressure its just about worthless in my somewhat rocky soil. I consider that a good setup/result for most homeowners/small farmer types like myself.
I had a PTO unit on my first tractor. I spent more time dealing with a stuck bit than drilling holes and ended up selling the unit. My old tractor also had 9 more PTO HP than my Kubota. Up here they are just more trouble than they are worth if you need to do a bunch of holes.

I also had very little control of the drill angle in the hole with the PTO. After a bunch of holes it also left me with a sore neck and back. With the bucket mount where I can see it, you can actually directional drill easily the length of the bit. I can get perpendicular to a house corner and "feed" the bit (angling in as I go) right down into the hole basically touching the corner without touching the structure if that makes sense?

Just a ton more control, speed, power, comfort, options etc. with the hydraulic unit.