3pt. Hitch Rock Saw or Wheel Saw?

CmdThor

Equipment
Kubota LX3310 with LA535 FEL and BH77 backhoe. Interested in 3pt hitch rock-saw.
Jun 11, 2021
Massachusetts
Good day all. First posted thread here. It's nice to meet you all.
I will be wanting to move some boulders on my property that will be too large to lift and even some that are likely too large for me to drag on a sled. I was wondering if anyone has seen a rock-saw implement that would fit on an LX3310? Thus far I have only really seen the bigger wheel-saws that are mounted to skid-steers or mini-excavators and those all seem to run on high volume hydraulics. Those cut like a 2.75in wide cut! I was thinking something like a 1/2" wide cut or even less (like a beefy diamond wet-saw blade). Though I realize at that thickness, the saw would not be forced around, but suspended above the boulder and allowed to cut down at it's own pace. I recently was watching a show called Jade-fever and they have a portable saw like that, that appears to run off of a generator, or is direct belt-driven. I am looking for something like that, that could run off the rear ~27HP PTO. Has anyone seen anything like that? It would likely need to use a slip-clutch shaft drive or belt drive, just in case the blade binds. Thanks all... AL

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
First of all... Greetings from far north west Canada...
If you list a general location it is a lot of help in knowing how to best answer your posts knowing a bit about your climate and the like..

I have seen a "chain saw" type trenching tool for tractor 3 point attachment.. And a rotating wheel shallow trencher much like a 3 point stump grinder.. Never have seen anything in a dedicated "rock" type use..

If your intent is to cut the rock and leave part of it in place ??
Or cut to make it into more manageable size pieces.. The best solution I can think of either way is an air drill and blasting to get the shape, size, results you want..

Or maybe..... If you could invent something like a carbide, diamond chain for the chain type trencher to cut it.. Of course all depends on the type of rock..

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Maybe this could work

Reactions: 1 user

shelkol

Equipment
bx-2200, Woods BH6000 backhoe, Tach-N-Go quick attach bucket, snow blower
Nov 12, 2015
Westford, Massachusetts
shelkol.com
I bought a harbor freight bauer rotary hammer drill and some feathers and wedges to break the larger rocks into manageable pieces. Total outlay about $150. Not as nice as just cutting them, but a hell of a lot cheaper. I suppose it also matters how many you have to do, I only had 4 or 5 to break up

Reactions: 1 user

CmdThor

Equipment
Kubota LX3310 with LA535 FEL and BH77 backhoe. Interested in 3pt hitch rock-saw.
Jun 11, 2021
Massachusetts
First of all... Greetings from far north west Canada...
If you list a general location it is a lot of help in knowing how to best answer your posts knowing a bit about your climate and the like..

I have seen a "chain saw" type trenching tool for tractor 3 point attachment.. And a rotating wheel shallow trencher much like a 3 point stump grinder.. Never have seen anything in a dedicated "rock" type use..

If your intent is to cut the rock and leave part of it in place ??
Or cut to make it into more manageable size pieces.. The best solution I can think of either way is an air drill and blasting to get the shape, size, results you want..

Or maybe..... If you could invent something like a carbide, diamond chain for the chain type trencher to cut it.. Of course all depends on the type of rock..
Hi Tim. Greetings and ty for the reply. I am in Massachusetts U.S. My intent would be to cut and split it into more manageable sized pieces to move, while simultaneously putting a nice flat side on both pieces (to be used to make a mortared natural stone retaining wall) . I thought about air-drilling also, though I am not sure how much paperwork I would have to go through to do blasting (it's probably not permitted for individuals to do that here without extensive training and licensing). I could use feathers and wedges though. But after getting this expensive tractor I was hoping to put the 27hp PTO to good use. I haven't seen any PTO driven drills either.
I found a right angle 1 3/8 6spline to 1" round shaft 1:1 gear box I could drive with a clutched PTO drive shaft. I have seen 1 meter diameter diamond wet-saw blades with 1" center-holes I was thinking I could mount to the 1" round output. I'd have to build an A-frame to secure to the bottom two points and to hold the gearbox with blade out at the end. It would have to be snug-ly toleranced so there was not much play in it to keep the saw blade nice and straight. Then I would just lower the A-frame down (on a chain from the top hitch) so the saw would only see it's own weight as the down-force. That would cut maybe 18" deep. The drive-shafts usually have about 20" of axial adjustment.
It's might be easier to make a PTO driven drill lol.

CmdThor

Equipment
Jun 11, 2021
Massachusetts
Well, dad-blast-it anyways! Dexpan
Hey, thank you i7win7 & SAR. I was not aware of that product! Definitely interesting. I will read more about that Dexpan. Well, if I don't want to build any fancy contraptions, at least I have a tried and proven method that I know will work. Much appreciated!

Last edited:

CmdThor

Equipment
Jun 11, 2021
Massachusetts
I bought a harbor freight bauer rotary hammer drill and some feathers and wedges to break the larger rocks into manageable pieces. Total outlay about $150. Not as nice as just cutting them, but a hell of a lot cheaper. I suppose it also matters how many you have to do, I only had 4 or 5 to break up
Ty Shelkol. We have a harbor freight nearby. I see those Bauer and Hercules rotary hammers. Which one did you get, the 10Amp, 1 1/8" ?

Ikc1990

Equipment
Kubota m125x, m9000, b2710, and other equiptment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
Drill your holes then this winter on a really cold day that you dont want to be out side fill with warm water amazingly in the olden days and still today this has been done the ice expands splitting the rocks. Cheap efficient easy way as long as you arnt on a wifes before winter schedule to complete lmao.

shelkol

Equipment
bx-2200, Woods BH6000 backhoe, Tach-N-Go quick attach bucket, snow blower
Nov 12, 2015
Westford, Massachusetts
shelkol.com
Ty Shelkol. We have a harbor freight nearby. I see those Bauer and Hercules rotary hammers. Which one did you get, the 10Amp, 1 1/8" ?
Yes. There is a stone wall building outfit in Vermont that has videos on using feathers and wedges. stonetrust.org.